Silver Spoon 691 members · 489 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
hawthornbunny
Group Admin

A Silver Summer by Fanboy

Continuing the inexplicable 'Silver Spoon is an underachiever' theme, here's A Silver Summer by Fanboy. I started reading this a while ago and remembered enjoying the first chapter, but I lost track of it until now.

Silver Spoon is alone for the summer. Diamond Tiara has gone on holiday, and so have Silver Spoon's parents, leaving her in the care of the servants at her home. And if that wasn't bad enough, she has to spend her summer attending remedial classes!

One thing I love about this story is the depth of the insight it gives into Silver Spoon as a character. Why is she a bully? Why doesn't she have any other friends? Why doesn't she care about anything? The true meaning of 'silver spoon' is made clear here: she's never cared about anything because she's never had to. Silver Spoon always gets what she wants and can do no wrong. And now, when everything's left her, she doesn't know how to handle it.

In many ways this Silver Spoon reminds me of Diamond Tiara from arcum42's Cubic Zirconia - strangely detached from the world around her, unable to realise the most obvious truths of daily life. That take on the character was interesting, and it works really well for Silver Spoon as well.

The fifth chapter has a tantalising mystery about the true meaning of Silver Spoon's cutie mark, which - so far - doesn't actually seem to be any of the things mentioned in the Spoonalysis, so I'm interested to see what it eventually turns out to be. Overall, this is a great read which deserves a lot more likes, so give it a try!

This story is criminally underappreciated. It's slow paced and the characterization is odd, but the narrative and the point of view—wedged squarely inside Spoon's skull—combine for something very unusual. There's clearly enough effort here to warrant a whole lot more attention than it is getting.

And I'm quite curious as to the cutie mark secret.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2