Crack Ships Inc. 612 members · 878 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

Interesting conversation came up.

Is a self-ship considered a crack ship?

I don't mean something like Elusive/Rarity or any other Rule 63/canon counterpart, but rather something along the lines of Equestria Girls!Rarity and Pony!Rarity.

2199877 No. It's called a stupid ship.

Calling it a crack ship is an insult to crack shipping.

devas #3 · Nov 19th, 2013 · · 3 ·

dude, fuck off.

Now you know what it feels like to be insulted for no reason! :-)

Jokes aside...I get that you dislike the concept, but at least give a couple of reasons for it. Not everybody handles criticism well, and....ok, you can just go and say that it's other people's problem, but then other people will apply that to YOU.

2199903 Because self-shipping isn't really shipping, in my point of view. They're the same, in almost every virtual way. How...can they be couple when their the same. It's practically more like looking in a mirror; a reflection, not a true, unique body of it's own.

Yes, exactly: IN YOUR POINT OF VIEW.

Other people have different opinions from yourself, dude! Is that so hard to conceptualize?
I'm also a fan of Homestuck and there's an entire SECTION devoted to self-shipping there!

also:-How...can they be A couple when theY'RE the same.-

First off, I was never meant to state that as a fact, but an opinion.

Second

I'm also a fan of Homestuck and there's an entire SECTION devoted to self-shipping there!

I don't even know what that is, all I know about it is that is has a cult fanbase.

Just to clarify, the thought of Pinkie Pie (or Rarity, in one case that I've seen) using the Mirror Pool to create a special somepony would be repugnant to you? I think I've also seen Twilight make a duplicate of herself via one of Starswirl's spells and they end up making out...

At some point they diverge and become two separate beings with a shared history, like Commander Riker did in "Second Chances" (Star Trek TNG).

2200001 I don't know Star Trek either so that thought doesn't make sense to me.

For me, 'crack ships' are more about the tone of the story more than the particular ship. A story where the Rarities bond over their shared experiences wouldn't be a crack ship, while one that went more like "Gems sure are great!" "They most certainly are!" "Let's go embarrass Rainbow Dash!" AND THEN THEY KISSED :rainbowwild: would be.

As far as I can tell, the term was invented to describe ships that are so bizarre, they make you go 'wtf kind of drugs was the author on when she wrote this? :twilightoops:', but here I've seen people use it just for two ponies who aren't usually shipped together, so I dunno.

I'm curious, what makes RarityxMale-Rarity different from RarityxHuman-Rarity?

I think it still counts as selfcest, and is therefore still its own category and not technically a crack ship.

Because I'm pretty sure the question of 63xCanon's came up before.
maybe not here.

2199917 I'm curious to know more on your stance. I mean there are relationships both real and imagined where the individuals in question are incredibly similar to the point of almost seeming like the same person.

Would you still consider that not shipping? I'm genuinely interested as I think this is a neat idea.

I ask because I've also read fics with people arguing that if a pony does use a mirror pool the copy would grow and become its own distinct individual. It's sort of going into the nature vs nurture argument. The idea that who you are is shaped both by your genetics and by your outside interactions. So conceivably a mirror pool copy could in time become a different being from the original and should they be shipped it could be argued that it's no longer self shipping.

I think self shipping sort of deserves it's own classification but I don't see why it couldn't fit in with crack ships. I'd say put any self shipping fics in their own folder.

Ergh, so wordy.:derpytongue2:

2200203 If they're pretty much the same person, it's not a ship.

I wouldn't demand someone explain his opinion, and then mock him when he gives it - by grammar no less.

In my opinion, crack shipping is not the same as rare shipping. Rare shipping is when two characters are rarely shipped by the fandom, say, Fluttershy x Rarity. Crack shipping, on the other hand, is when the two characters have never met, are unlikely ever to do so and even less unlikely to end up in a relationship, say, Mrs. Cake x Princess Luna.

So by this definition, you have already met yourself, you already know yourself. It wouldn't really make sense to call it a crack shipping.

mmmm.....you're right, I do apologize,

2200438 , I'm sorry.

2200438 If you'd rather leave this discussion be I'm perfectly willing to drop it. I just ask since your answer was very succinct.:unsuresweetie:

Well, since I believe I was the one whose comment started this...

The idea I had was to ship Sunset Shimmer(Equestria) with the Sunset Shimmer of Canterlot High. I had the thought that perhaps in the Equestria Girls world, Sunset Shimmer wasn't evil bitchy mcbitcherson. I figured in a case like that, it might be rather interesting.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17