Tropers 420 members · 347 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Recently, whenever I go on TV Tropes, it cuts to a random add page for no apparent reason. Why is this happening? Could someone please fix it? It's really annoying.

It's the ads themselves. One is redirecting your page when it loads up.

Not much you can do except hope TvTropes ever decides to vet its ads, wait for a new ad to cycle in, or use adblock.

Also wouldn't hurt to run a virus scan. Sometimes this redirect ads are malicious.

Georg
Group Contributor

6705313 AdBlockPlus on Chrome works wonders for me. I've got FimFiction whitelisted because they've been pretty good about stomping the take-over-your-computer-and-drag-it-places ads, along with Instapundit and LegalInsurrection, but there are some sites where you *have* to run it or you get nothing done. FlightAware, for example, which is a godsend for anybody who travels by air, but without an adblocker, it's totally useless.

6705356 There was a discussion on a site I followed at one time that covered this. Seems that Company A purchases a large advertising block from Google, then breaks it into pieces and sells the smaller chunks to Company B, C, and D, who then break their pieces into smaller pieces and sell them to... So at the end, you've got a malicious link at the bottom of a seven-link deep ad, and those can be a bear to separate out the sheep from the goats.

Why aren't the mods doing anything about it? Aside from that fact that they aren't good at their jobs, I mean.

Georg
Group Contributor

6734074 The mods are exceedingly good at their jobs (waves at the mods) but spammers spend their *life* trying to jam their crap into your computer, and we're talking Don't Have a Real Life And Spend Their Days Reading HTML Handling Codes and DLLs kind of life. Running a website is a little like being a duck in a shooting gallery.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5