Tropers 420 members · 347 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Why do people keep shilling The Pony POV Series on TV Tropes? It's like, almost everywhere I look. I get that it has fans and I'm fine with that, (even though I myself do not like it) but isn't doing that against the rules of TV Tropes?

Emptybee
Group Contributor

What do you mean by "shilling"?

It has some really, REALLY dedicated fans. Personally I was amused by the one really religious Troper who defined doubt as "atheism" and the laws of nature as "my god."

You know the trope "Character Shilling?" That, just instead of a character, it's a fanfic.

I've seen Pony POV in trope examples a few times, but it's not against the rules if the tropes do actually fit, and that wouldn't be shilling either.

Emptybee
Group Contributor

I'm well aware of what the word shilling means. But what do you mean when you say someone is shilling Pony POV? In other words, give us some examples.

Well... The trope entry page for the series goes on and on about how awesome that fanfic is. The entry under Big Bad seems to have been edited by a rabid Havoc fan, the entry under Fix Fix in the trope entry for the actual show says "it's a good example of a fix fic done right",part of the entry of Heart is an Awesome Power seems written by a rabid Lemon Hearts fan,(or at least it was until I fixed it) and the entry under Omnicidal Maniac seems written by an Entropy fan.

Emptybee
Group Contributor

6732178 For starters, all works pages—not just Pony P.O.V.—tend to be edited by fans of the work. And some fans aren't as good as others when it comes to keeping gushing praise out of their examples. If you find any particularly odious examples you're always free to edit them.

Plus, the story really is a Doorstopper. So it has lots of examples that fit into lots of different tropes. It's also fairly popular, so plenty of editors are at least passingly familiar with those examples. Which is why it tends to show up a lot just like Past Sins and Fallout Equestria do. But it's not shilling if the examples given actually do fit the trope they're put under.

If you find any particularly odious examples you're always free to edit them.

I decided to stop being a troper, remember?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9