Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33

This is probably the only place I can post this and not be lambasted, told to 'get a grip' and be down-voted to all hell. I guess you could say I'm curious about whether other people in this group have experienced similar things to me.:applejackunsure:

It's been just over 8 months since Magical Mystery Cure and even longer than that since Twilight's ascension was confirmed. Since then, we've seen countless pieces of artwork, animation and fan fiction starring the new alicorn princess. Heck, even I'm writing a fic about Twilicorn. Debates have raged on, theories have been made, and I've come across just about every argument for and against the change. But that's not actually why I'm here...

Not long ago it was revealed that as of issue 13 of the comic, Twilight would become an alicorn. Heck, it was pretty much expected to happen. So why did my heart skip a beat at the news? Why was I suddenly depressed? And again when I watched Rarity's Hot Minute video. There's a snippet where she talks about the prospect of having wings and then quickly mentions Twilight, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash along with ONE SECOND of an altered version of the opening sequence with Twilight as an alicorn. That was all it was, and yet I felt a horrible pang of negative emotion, like I'd just seen a car crash or something.

Now, these emotional responses are not normal. There is no logical reason why I should react in such a way to seeing a frickin' cartoon horse. There's stuff in my life that I should be worrying about more, and just when I think I've gotten over it, I see something that brings it all back.

I don't understand it anymore. It's been nearly a year and yet I still can't get over it. I'm on tender-hooks at every piece of season 4 info I read. I see popular comic writers I follow adopt Twilicorn as a permanent change and I feel like I've been punched in the stomach. I want to be excited for the future of the show and I want to remain a part of this fandom, but I'm scared that for me, it'll never be the same again.

I just want to ask, does anyone else still get like this? I feel like I'm the only one. :pinkiesad2:

2001066 I disliked the idea of making Twilacorn canon. (I think It should have stayed with the realm of fanfiction.) That being said, I am accepting of it.

I've lost sight of what 'accepting the change' even means anymore. :applejackunsure: I'm not in denial and I'm not raging, and I know full well that the writers can do some interesting stuff with this. But when I get such instant, powerful emotions over little things like I mentioned, and when I find myself dreading season 4, can I really say that I've accepted it? I simply don't know. :ajsleepy:

2001153 Maybe you need to step back from Ponies for a bit and gather your thoughts...

I know...

Easier said than done. :applejackunsure: So much of my free time revolves around something related to pony. I read fanfiction at work. I have plushies and MLP comics in my room and more on order. The main people I talk to are on a teamspeak channel made up of bronies. I love writing, and MLP fanfiction is my only outlet for that. Trying to physically force myself not to have anything to do with ponies would do more harm than good IMO. But I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Thanks for the responses, anyway. It does help to just know someone is listening.

This sums up my feelings for the matter.
Quite so indeed.

I still Hate her

2001329>>2001346

Same, I felt betrayed and I hate this stupid Twilicorn idea. :flutterrage:

While I get the idea that it's what Celestia was grooming her for and think it would have made a fine ending for the series finale I don't really care for having her as an Alicorn in the ongoing series. Just seems... unbalancing. Unnecessary. I don't really care care but it certainly wouldn't have been my choice.

The only reason I was really critical of the whole Twilicorn thing was how poorly it was handled and how it elevated one character out of what had previously been an ensemble cast. I fear that FiM will become the Twilight Sparkle Show feat. Her Five Friends.

But ever since S2 of Korra started I've started looking at the FiM staff in a more favorable light.

2001560 The only thing worse than this is the character whose name starts with an F.
I shall not say more on the matter, other than I am kicking around the idea of canceling any ideas about implementing any shippings that involve Twilight Sparkle.

Once an idea is jossed, it stands no more, as the early S1 Luna can attest to in spades.
Frankly I am pessimistic of anything appearing as a positive for me, what with being repeatedly dashed, smashed, and crumpled up into a little paper ball of nothingness.

Given time, the majority of the fanbase will shift over to Twlicorn, leaving those longing for the good old days in the dust. Divided. Separated. One without a group. I certainly know the feeling, what with nobody holding sympathies to a once dark horse character that is no more. I've given up ever finding anyone to relate to this experience.

Take comfort you guys actually have a group which has members to bitch alongside with.
Savor it, for it may not lost long.

You don't care because Twilight didn't care. Becoming a princess was never a motivation for her and so it's hard to get excited about something the character doesn't care about.

I get sad when I look at my mlp app now that is has rwilicorn and the movie in it

I've pretty much written off anything official/cannon now. I'm sticking to fandom-made stuff from here on out. The only way I'd watch the show again is if they somehow retconned most of season 3, especially the finale, as well as that... *shudder* godawful movie. But as that is sadly very unlikely to happen, I'm washing my hands of the whole thing. And when the fandom becomes over-saturated with material related to new episodes, I'll just slip into isolation and enjoy older stuff on my own until I eventually lose interest. Sad, but that's life.

First of all, I'm not against the idea of Twilight turning into alicorn if handled properly. Magical Mystery Cure could easily have been the best episode of the series if it didn't feel so rushed. Sure, I had the initial reaction like so many others that, oh noes, they're going to change Twilight (who is best pony) and now everything is going to suck. By the time the episode aired that feeling had already passed. I wonder if it had actually lessened the shock if we had gotten no indication/warning beforehand.

What really made me feel uneasy were the signs of increased executive meddling – that they were prepared to change the tv series on a fundamental level just to sell a few more toys. Making Celestia pink didn't work so they turned Cadance into a pink alicorn (the episode itself must have been conceived before even season one aired), and now they were going to turn Twilight into another pretty princess. It made me realise how emotionally invested I had become at that point – having among other things read over 5 million words worth of fanfiction – and how easy everything could be ruined. The ponies helped me through difficult times, but at the cost of having them take over my life. (I have managed to cut down on it gradually since the beginning of this year.)

I also feared that this would divide the fandom. That the first half would shun everything post third season and that the second half wouldn't stop telling the first to "deal with it". Luckily I haven't seen any signs of this.

When it comes to the comics, I don't understand the sense of betrayal that some fans seem to feel. To me it was obvious that the comics would incorporate everything from the tv series and that alicorn Twilight was thus inevitable. It was just a matter of the comics catching up.

I hate it.
I hate the way it was written.

I had actually forgotten that she had been turned into an alicorn, you just reminded me. I only visualize her without wings.

2001346>>2001560>>2002606

Good to know I'm not alone. :twilightblush:

What you say is possibly true. In a year's time, when season 4 is over, will most people stop using unicorn Twi for all new fics? Like I said before, there's a lot of comic artists and writers I've followed that have adopted Twilicorn as a permanent fixture, and it's probably a sign of things to come.

Very true. Twilight's ascension is a whole other ball game from Rainbow Dash becoming a Wonderbolt or the CMC finding their cutie marks. And I agree that the poor execution is a big factor in my dislike. And as for the future, all the quotes from the writers point to it being 'the same show but Twi has wings, lol', which rubs me the wrong way.

The thing is, I could've been fine with this whole thing, but after season 3 was a disappointment in my eyes, Magical Mystery Cure showcased a horribly rushed, poorly explained ascension that requires some twisted, convoluted head-canon for everything to seem logical, and Equestria Girls was (at least in my opinion) a poorly written, poorly structured, unfunny meh-fest... How can I have faith in the writers? Oh, because they're saying season 4 will be good? Just like they said about season 3 and EQG? Right... :ajbemused: If season 3 and EQG were awesome and Twilight's ascension was handled with the utmost care, I would be a hell of a lot more accepting.

As it stands, this change feels like a solution to a problem that never existed in the first place

The executive meddling... That is indeed an issue I have.

The show has proven that it is far from immune to the will of Hasbro and their toy-line. Shining Armor and Cadence popping up out of frikkin' nowhere, alongside the crystal pony line? Princess Twilight shoehorned out into the limelight? Humanised toys, Flash Sentry, Sunset Shimmer...

This stuff has become so prevalent that the fandom is practically on tender-hooks, wondering what the next piece of Hasbro-enforced mockery will be. And as far as we can tell, they have the power to do whatever they want. DHX can't say "Well, that wasn't our original plan" and just get on with something else,they are under Hasbro's thumb. And this is why I am not counting out the possibility of Princess Skyla or Alicorn Fluttershy being in the show. I mean, Alicorn Twilight first appeared in a sticker book for crying out loud.

2004695 You've just ensured your death sentence within this fandom dude.
There is a reason why I become so pessimistic for the future. Fanon will only hold your boat up for so long before it is sunken beneath the waves. The reason why I came into the fandom in the first place was for the devotion of the community itself. Season 1 left a void to be filled, which allowed writers to come up with a variety of unique scenarios that the show itself didn't fill.

I wouldn't mind the show so much if the majority of the fandom didn't take it as the sole standard that must be upheld at all cost. However, as the past season have shown us, this isn't the case. Take the Hearth Warming Eve holiday for example. Hey, I like that form of history just as the next brony. But what I don't like is that pretty much is the only thing that is historically "correct" for the fandom. Attempting anything else with your own mythos and history not related in any way, shape, or form to that episode is tantamount to heresy these days. Before, if you came up with something before that episode that didn't list the conflicts in the way the episode did, you were fine.

But now? Good luck not getting a comment every hour as to how your version of history conflicts with the official "canon" version of things. Makes me wonder why we even bothered with fanon in the first place if all we're going to do is trash it in the end. Forgive me that I did not withhold my cynicism for this post, as I have plenty of bitter poison pills to share with almost everyone. You get a bonus cupcake from Pinkamena's personal batch if you happen to know that there was a Luna before the "show" Luna came into existence. (The Luna that wasn't boisterous, loud, and daunting.)

If you are a post Season 1 brony, you may disregard the above.

I also feared that this would divide the fandom. That the first half would shun everything post third season and that the second half wouldn't stop telling the first to "deal with it". Luckily I haven't seen any signs of this.

That may be due to the majority shifting over to Twilicorn only. Sooner or later, unicorn Twilight fanfiction might as well be a thing of the past if history is any indication.

I have had my rant for the time being. For now though, the education of my person in public school awaits. I shall return when my time is not taken up by a redundant workload.
Good day to you gentlemen.

2007184 to me season 4 is a myth, i don't belive in it:ajbemused:

2011674 I'm going to watch it. It was just despicable the way they turned Twilight into an alicorn, but now I think the show is going to be similar to what it was. Maybe even better! In any case, I'm going to try to keep an open mind.

"Having faith in the writers" is a moot point. They'll either produce good stuff or they won't. I've never bought into Creator Worship because I feel like it blinds people when their sacred authors start writing poorly (Again, going back to Korra, so many people have elevated Bryke to the level of writing demigods that they jump through hoops to explain why S2 plays abusive relationships for laughs and why the hero of the show is a violent impulsive side-character)

Season 3 was not very good.

MMC was not very good

EQG was not very good.

I don't know if S4 is going to be any good. Past history is pointing to no but I could very well be wrong. I hope I am because I seriously don't want to live in Fanfiction land when it comes to this show.

Twilicorn isn't the problem; the problem is that the quality of writing has slipped since S3 and shows no signs of improving.

"Having faith in the writers" is a moot point.

You're right... I guess I brought it up because the phrase 'trust the writers' has become so prevalent in this fandom, and it really ticks me off when people say it to me. I kind of get defensive about this subject after being labelled an idiot man-child who can't cope with story progression.

Twilicorn isn't the problem; the problem is that the quality of writing has slipped since S3 and shows no signs of improving.

There are a few base things about the Twilicorn concept that I don't like, and I think it would have been much better if Twilight became a teacher at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, for example, but it was never impossible for me to like it. The writers have completely botched the build-up and ascension, but we've yet to see how they handle its implementation within the show. From what I've read, it will be pretty much the same but Twilight has a couple of different responsibilities. :unsuresweetie: Honestly, that doesn't sound too promising... I'll still reserve judgement, though.

I wouldn't mind the show so much if the majority of the fandom didn't take it as the sole standard that must be upheld at all cost.

I agree wholeheartedly. It pains me every time I see an author forcefully trying to shoehorn the events from the very latest episodes into their fic. A question I've been meaning to ask is whether a fanfic author can ignore parts of the canon for the sake of the story, or if it would cause too many complaints from readers. In other words, is it possible to have Twilight still be a unicorn with the motivation that it better suits the story?

On the topic of Luna: Does anyone remember what the general reaction was to Luna appearing in her S1 form in the second arc of the comic?

Please don't take any offense to this, but considering your personal experiences within the fandom and how you cling to season 1 Luna... Why are you still here? I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm genuinely curious about why you still frequent this site. (Not sure how regularly since I don't stalk your profile, lol)

I guess my fear is that I'll find myself in the same situation as you further down the line, wishing for the times passed while everyone else carries on as normal. It's been, what, two years since Luna Eclipsed? And yet you still feel pretty much the same way. I've felt negatively about Twilicorn for the past 9 months, so will that feeling remain? And if it gets to the end of season 4 and I still feel the same, will my love for the fandom diminish? Will I want to leave, but feel obligated to stay?

I know I shouldn't fret about this stuff, but I can't help it. :fluttercry:

Honestly I would prefer it if they changed everything instead of acting like being a princess is some minor cosmetic difference. Uproot the Mane 6; move them to Canterlot. Have the show in a completely different location as Princess Twilight now has to deal with some actual responsibilities. Make her friends the inner council; have them settle big issues. They had a real chance to do something completely new with the show and I'm kind of disappointed that they're not playing Princess Twilight to the hilt.

Please don't take any offense to this, but considering your personal experiences within the fandom and how you cling to season 1 Luna... Why are you still here? I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm genuinely curious about why you still frequent this site. (Not sure how regularly since I don't stalk your profile, lol)

I guess my fear is that I'll find myself in the same situation as you further down the line, wishing for the times passed while everyone else carries on as normal. It's been, what, two years since Luna Eclipsed? And yet you still feel pretty much the same way. I've felt negatively about Twilicorn for the past 9 months, so will that feeling remain? And if it gets to the end of season 4 and I still feel the same, will my love for the fandom diminish? Will I want to leave, but feel obligated to stay?

I know I shouldn't fret about this stuff, but I can't help it. :fluttercry:

It is almost impossible for me to leave the fandom these days.
Sure, I might have been jossed more times than I would care to count. But by God, part of the original reason as to why I have stayed with this fandom for so long still burns, even if it flickers occasionally on a regular intervals. There are still are stories to be had, such as Princess Celestia: Queen of the Changelings by Vern22. The franchise is going to have to spite me personally to even make me consider leaving. I suppose in a way, you could say I am almost machinist this way.

Though my endless cynicism and pessimism has come in handy, for it has blunted my expectations to the point where the impact of being jossed has been somewhat minimized. When it comes down to being disappointed down at even the most unlikeliest of sources, I have plenty of experience.

Not to mention, I wish to preserve the memory of the olden days, even if nobody else will remember them. The impact that they had on me is that I do not wish to let go of what made it special for me. Even though those fond moments are a rarity that happen maybe twice a year tops, I shall still cling loyally to what has come to pass, even if it may be irrational to do so otherwise.

As for you... Well buddy, it depends on how much you've been jossed personally.
I have a thick skin, free from idealistic expectations for the future. I know that the MLP franchise is only there to make money. If Hasbro sees an opportunity to make gold by appealing to a wider audience by butchering the characters, they will make Twilight a bloody blonde dumb extrovert in order for this to happen. In that case, they could care less about our opinions on it.

So yes, the feelings of that negativity will remain. It will be blunted and pacified as time goes by, but never will that melancholy be fully tamed. For me, I suppose I want to feel that, for it reminds me of the times long past to history. It stings a little, and certainly is rather illogical to cling to, but I shall never let go of those memories.

As for your love of the fandom...
Well, if my experiences are any indication, it will probably be somewhat of a love/hate relationship, depending upon your situational context at the time. Whether you leave or stay is only truly known by the individual, for there are too many variables to factor in to accurately predict the reactions of every person in this fandom. If you stayed on for this long however, I doubt you will wish to leave. After all, there is still small pockets that represent the remnants of the old, even if the glory of the past shall never be fully reignited, it shall be rekindled for moments at a time good heartily. I am sadden that fanon and canon alike cannot coexist, but I have come to begrudgingly accept that the fandom will probably forget the fanon it once used in favor of canon, no matter what. All we can do is preserve the old memories and archive these moments the best we can, and try not to let our pessimism leech into the fun of other fans and ruin their fun time.

It sucks, but one you get in, ya can't get out. :rainbowwild:
Someone's gotta keep the old memories alive, ya know?
Who knows? Maybe if we're lucky, part of it might prosper again one day.

2012992 Not me personally, since I don't keep up with the comics.
As for the former of your comment, I would say it varies. Though if the writers are any indication, canon is the only thing worth writing it seems. I have a ranted that I saved as a full HTML page before it was deleted, though I am at a loss as to how I can repost it here.

I have to agree. Maybe not with them all moving to Canterlot, but certainly something big that comes from this change. People have talked about MLP adopting a system where three or four episodes are linked into a bigger story arc, and honestly, I would definitely welcome something like that. I mean, some of the biggest criticisms over season 3 episodes were that they felt rushed and tried to pack too much into just 20 minutes.

I'd like to see the writers tackle things that simply could never have been done before Twilight's ascension. The mane six have always had extra little responsibilities all throughout the series, (Games Ponies Play, Dragonshy, Canterlot Wedding etc etc) and I really hope they don't do the same thing but have Celestia mention "Oh you're doing this because you're a princess" despite it being something they could've easily been tasked with doing before all that. And I'm not counting the inevitable 'Rainbow Dash flying episode'.

If you stayed on for this long however, I doubt you will wish to leave.

People said that when I left the Tekken community. I'd been playing Tekken since 1996, started attending live tournaments in 2009 and ended up playing Tekken 6 for over 800 hours in total. Then Tekken Tag 2 came out and I didn't like a lot of the changes. I weighed up my options, and then left the fanbase forever. Tons of friends made, (both online and IRL) a formidable reputation, several online tournament wins under my belt, and I left it all behind.

Tekken was a more integral part of my life than ponies could ever hope to be. That's why I can't count out the possibility of me leaving the fandom at some point. I've done it before with something much, much bigger. :applejackunsure:

But regardless, I'm not done just yet. I'm still an active member of fimfiction and I still love reading and writing. Hell, if it wasn't for MLP I wouldn't have started writing stories in the first place, so I guess that's something. :pinkiesmile:

2019075 ... :ajbemused: In that case, I predict you'll be out within the year.
Another half year would be a pretty generous bet in this case.

My advice? Stay isolated and barricaded.

I think the will to finish my fanfics will push me on for longer than that, but we shall see.

I should point out that Tag 2's changes weren't the only reason I left. Tekken had been an unhealthy addiction since the release of T5DR and had been detrimental to my life. Although Tag 2's changes (which in my opinion represented a downgrade) were the tipping point at which I couldn't justify my obsession any longer. I've been tempted to go back, but I know I shouldn't.

My ties with this fandom definitely aren't at that level. But it might get there eventually. That's the worry. :applejackunsure:

You've just ensured your death sentence within this fandom dude.

Heh, maybe, but at least it's on my own terms. :P Even if I end up unable to get along with any other fans, and even outright avoiding them due to new crap, they can't take away my love of ponies in general or the first (and much of the second) season. And I will stick to my own headcannon to my last dying breath! Lol.

Honestly, I haven't really produced much for the fandom so far, despite being in it since early in season 1, but ironically enough I may start doing so now, if only to irritate the rabid pro-Twilicorn fans. I've been meaning to get back into writing and may start doodling again and even start a Tumblr ask-blog of some kind. And if and when I start getting hate for it, I'll just feed off it. :P

There is a reason why I become so pessimistic for the future. Fanon will only hold your boat up for so long before it is sunken beneath the waves. The reason why I came into the fandom in the first place was for the devotion of the community itself. Season 1 left a void to be filled, which allowed writers to come up with a variety of unique scenarios that the show itself didn't fill.

I wouldn't mind the show so much if the majority of the fandom didn't take it as the sole standard that must be upheld at all cost. However, as the past season have shown us, this isn't the case. Take the Hearth Warming Eve holiday for example. Hey, I like that form of history just as the next brony. But what I don't like is that pretty much is the only thing that is historically "correct" for the fandom. Attempting anything else with your own mythos and history not related in any way, shape, or form to that episode is tantamount to heresy these days. Before, if you came up with something before that episode that didn't list the conflicts in the way the episode did, you were fine.

But now? Good luck not getting a comment every hour as to how your version of history conflicts with the official "canon" version of things. Makes me wonder why we even bothered with fanon in the first place if all we're going to do is trash it in the end.

Just don't give in to it. Give the haters a big "Fuck you, I do what I want!" and carry on. That's how I look at it.

But now? Good luck not getting a comment every hour as to how your version of history conflicts with the official "canon" version of things. Makes me wonder why we even bothered with fanon in the first place if all we're going to do is trash it in the end. Forgive me that I did not withhold my cynicism for this post, as I have plenty of bitter poison pills to share with almost everyone. You get a bonus cupcake from Pinkamena's personal batch if you happen to know that there was a Luna before the "show" Luna came into existence. (The Luna that wasn't boisterous, loud, and daunting.) Forgive me that I did not withhold my cynicism for this post, as I have plenty of bitter poison pills to share with almost everyone. You get a bonus cupcake from Pinkamena's personal batch if you happen to know that there was a Luna before the "show" Luna came into existence. (The Luna that wasn't boisterous, loud, and daunting.)Heh, we're in the same boat really. I have plenty of frustration myself that I rarely get to vent without people spouting off BS cop-outs like "Oh hush and enjoy the show" etc. And yes, pre-Luna Eclipsed Luna was so cute~! <3 I remember some of my favorite fanfics involving Luna were from the summer gap between S1 and S2.

"Having faith in the writers" is a moot point.

YES, THIS! I _HATE_ that cop-out phrase with a passion. So many bronies seem to think the show writers are some kind of perfect godly entities beyond criticism and incapable of error or flaw. It drives me crazy!

Season 3 was not very good.

MMC was not very good

EQG was not very good.

Heh... "Not very good" is a massive understatement in my opinion. >__>;;

I agree wholeheartedly. It pains me every time I see an author forcefully trying to shoehorn the events from the very latest episodes into their fic.

Even worse is when they RE-WRITE their story to jive with cannon, even when the story was finished or half-finished already! >__< Not only is it jarring and annoying to have to go back and re-read things, it's obviously unnecessary if the story was going along so well already on its own different path!

I'll just say I was distressed and annoyed, but I wasn't depressed.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33