Overly Extensive Editors 745 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 42 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 42
IRpony
Group Admin

Troubles, Comments, Questions, Concerns?

This thread is for the community's voice to be heard. Speak out and let us know if there's something we can do (besides editing, duh.) to improve the experience here at Overly-Extensive Editors. If you feel something needs to be addressed, chances are someone else is thinking the same and maybe there's something we can do to fix it.

Note: What this isn't is a spam thread. Please be courteous to your fellow members and don't bury legitimate concerns under piles of posts. Keep things generally on topic and everything should be fine.

Daring Deux
Group Contributor

I like the new group avatar. The "OEE" looks like a key, and fits the theme nicely. Kudos to whoever designed it:yay:.

I found two things that weren't quite clarified enough for me:
The description was slightly ambiguous on what kinds of work you take on. The example seemed to be a pretty unfinished work while the tone in the description seemed to indicate that you'd rather take on more complete work that needs editing/finished chapters that needs help with continuation.
It would be nice with a slight clarification there :derpytongue2:.

The other thing is that I seem not to be able to post in the forum, this might be an error, but in case it isn't, it should be pointed out that you might not be able to post in the forums right after you joined :pinkiesmile:.

IRpony
Group Admin

The other thing is that I seem not to be able to post in the forum, this might be an error, but in case it isn't, it should be pointed out that you might not be able to post in the forums right after you joined

Hmmm... that is interesting. Where you looking to create a new thread?
Some of the threads might be locked (though if a thread were locked it would display the lock symbol to the left of its title) other than that I've never encountered this problem before. :rainbowhuh:
Curious, maybe refresh the browser? It's likely the result of fimfiction not properly sorting out the information that registers you've joined. (Higher traffic times might result in this being the case)

The description was slightly ambiguous on what kinds of work you take on.

Really it is either. We will take a story that has just started fresh, or a story you are looking to polish up.
Basically what we want from authors is commitment. You can't come here and dump work on editors/pre-readers and expect your story to come out perfect. It's an author's responsibility to try to learn from what feedback pre-readers/editors give and choose what to implement and what not to.
Also, if you can make a new friend while doing it, then all the better! :rainbowwild:

Thanks for bringing these issues to my attention, and I hope that this was enough to clarify things! Hope you enjoy your time here at OEE. :yay:

Yes, that clarifies things, thanks :pinkiehappy:. Though you might want to put something about the fact that you take on most stories as long as the author can stay commitmed to working hard on their story, in the group description ( though you might have done so already, I didn't actually check. :derpytongue2:)
I will try and post again today, once I can get to my story, I was a bit hesitant posting it since it's really just a draft right now, but commitment I have, and will get more of when I have someone to toss ideas with. :pinkiesmile:.
Will do a quick edit once I've tried posting, as a reference on this page :twilightsmile:.

IRpony
Group Admin

Sure go ahead and post, we'd be happy to help!
Just don't put any personal links here though, I'd rather keep this thread tied to communication with the community only. Umm... if you don't mind. I hate having to delete posts... :fluttershbad:

Anyways looking forward to seeing what you've got for us. :raritystarry:
Also be sure to mention pre-reader/editor preference when you post. (In this case it might be helpful to go the pre-reader route as they are geared to look at where your story is going as a whole)

Are you currently accepting editor/pre-reader applications?

I'd be interested in editing/pre-reading (mostly pre-reading) for people in the MLP fandom, but I haven't found much success as an independent editor/pre-reader. I was hoping that joining a group like this could help me with my problem.

IRpony
Group Admin

Yes, we're currently accepting applications! :pinkiehappy:
To give you a little job description, we'd like our editors to be well rounded: being able to go over major and minor problems in a fic (from grammar and punctuation to plot and sentence structure)
Pre-readers evaluate the tone of the fic as well as help the author plan out the narrative direction of their story.

If you'd like to be part of our editorial staff please PM me, (Eldorado or Frasca) and we'd be happy to give you a shot at the editor's test. (Don't worry it's not too hard, but we do like to try to be professional, as well as get a feel for your editing style.)

For Pre-reading it's best to go ahead and talk directly to Eldorado, the head of our group, so he can evaluate whether we'd be a good fit for one another. (Don't worry, he's also a nice dude, and doesn't bit too hard.)
Thanks! And looking forward to hearing from you. :twilightsmile:

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1427047 You know whatever happened to the Editor and Pre-reader Bios that we used to have? I was looking for it to show to a friend, but can't find it. Do we not have it anymore, or is it obsolete with regards to the new system? Does Eldorado have a hard copy, if it got removed? I wanted to show a friend the bio.

Peace,

AuthorGenesis

IRpony
Group Admin

To the best of my knowledge that thread has been deleted to prevent any confusion due to misinformation that the document provided (telling people to use the old folder system, also before we had moderators).
I'd ask El directly if you want any chance of getting a copy. :fluttershysad:

Hi. I have a story that I'm working on, but I'm only at the second chapter. The thing is, I've really been going through a lot and I'd really appreciate if someone would take a look at what I've done so far before I write much more. Would it be possible to just have an editor take check out my first chapter?

IRpony
Group Admin

Yes, that's absolutely acceptable. :twilightsmile:
As long as you follow proper posting procedures~ :derpytongue2:
Also, our pre-readers might be a better fit, brainstorming and helping to set up future chapters.
Either way, feel free to post in the forum with: [title of fic] by [username]
Thank you! :pinkiehappy:

Thanks very much for your help.

IRpony
Group Admin

Hello there Star Racer, thanks for posting your concern here.
Generally, what you might have noticed looking at the forums, is that people post their stories as a thread and specify what they're looking for.
If you want examples of how to post, just click the nearest thread in the forum and read through it. Try to list as many specifics as you can so we know how best to help you; and, if you have it, share your story with the oeemlp@gmail.com mail.
Thanks, I look forward to seeing your post. :twilightsmile:

Thanks... I think...

Um... Where do I find this Google Docs? I'm afraid of posting a thread without pasting the 1st chapter of my story at Google Docs

IRpony
Group Admin

In order to access Google documents, you can search under Google for Google Docs, or click on the drop down menu in your Gmail and click on Google Drive (which will take you there automatically).
Then when you get there, you can copy and paste your document into a new file on your Gdrive. (this is all a lot easier if you already have a Gmail)
If it's too much, don't worry, we can totally assist you once you post the thread. The reason we like to use Gdocs is because it's an easy way to share your document, but if you feel the access is restrictive, it's not necessary to use. :twilightsheepish:
If this explanation isn't thorough enough, and you feel like you'd like a step by step example, please let me know and I can try to walk you through it. :raritywink:
Hope that helps!

How would I handle the same story that needs two different things?

I've had a large amount of editors pass over the same story and, as a result, certain things aren't very consistent. It's still ongoing, but rather long (approaching 80k words) at this moment in time. I'd be treating the editing of new chapters as they come out as one thing, and any potential help cleaning up the older ones to bring them up to quality as another. Would I start two different threads? Would you try to find me an editor who can help me with both?

I really am interested in trying to scrub the few errors that are still persistent out of the beginning of the story while trying to make them sound more consistent with each other, but I'm just really bad at looking at my own work for errors.

IRpony
Group Admin

How would I handle the same story that needs two different things?

Hmm, well judging by what you want, I think that the best thing to do would be to start a thread and post the story up. Then I'll locate an editor that hopefully meshes with your preferences. :ajsmug:

Would you try to find me an editor who can help me with both?

Yes, I think that the best bet would be to post the thread first and mention that in your post. I'm sure that once you and your editor get set up, you might be able to discuss it with him or her. However, regardless of their schedule, if you have a problem, I'd be happy to be contacted to help resolve it.

I'm just really bad at looking at my own work for errors.

:twilightsmile: Don't worry, we all are, that's why the group exists! :twilightblush:

Thanks for the questions! Go ahead and dive in to the forum with a post if you think you're ready. Otherwise, feel free to ask away or contact me personally if something was unclear.

How can I post my story that I wanted edited without non-editors reading it? Do I just email you guys the Google Docs?

IRpony
Group Admin

Well, if you read the front page, you'll realize that by sharing it with oeemlp@gmail.com will make it accessible to editors but not accessible to the general public. Alternatively, when you're assigned an editor, you can choose to share it directly with them! :twilightsmile:
I hope this helps! :raritystarry:

I didn't see anything about this in the forums or on the main page, but figured that I should ask anyway. Is there any specific types of stories that aren't accepted here? Or are we free to request help for any kind of tale we weave?

For example, an HiE. Should I not even bother asking for help and save myself the trouble of getting run out by a bunch of haters, or would this not bring hate and a horde of down thumbs to me?

3060064 Hey there Madness. As far as the fiction we accept, as long as it's pony-related, we'll take on the challenge of finding someone to help you out. That being said, while we will search around, we can't actually guarantee that we'll pair you up with someone. While we try to strive to help out all those that come to the group, we can't always find a match for you, and sometimes we have to turn people away. It's really story-dependent, and sometimes our editors are freer than other times. :applejackunsure:

HiE isn't exactly a popular tag in the staff of this group, but that doesn't mean nobody will even bother looking at it. The worst you could do is post a thread asking for help. (Granted you follow the rules) IRpony or I will ask around and do our best to find you someone.

And as for the "thumbs down," just don't act like an idiot and we'll support you. :raritywink:

Hope this helps! Good luck on your endeavors! :pinkiesmile:

Thank you very much!

I only find this moderately hilarious.

IRpony
Group Admin

While that's all well and good, try not to spam. :applecry:
If you need help, please either post it here or allow us to assist you in the forums. Otherwise, you're welcome.

My issues (apart from a nearly paralyzing shyness whenever I think about asking for help, I've been rehearsing this post for a couple months already :facehoof:) are that I've never worked with an editor, English is not my native language (which might put some extra strain on an editor), and that I'm accumulating a backlog of stories I would like help with before I publish (mostly short ones, though there is an one-shot at the 15K words mark, and one that will likely be larger when polished and is meant to be the first of a series).

My intent, at least at first and specially while I'm learning how to work with an editor, was to provide whoever offers to help me a pick of which story to tackle first, ranging from nearly done (the 15K words one, of which I mainly want to rewrite one scene, do some final polish to the rest, and add a few more comical footnotes) to barely more than a first draft (a couple stories I did for 72h or 96h writing events, where I likely will end rewriting most of the story, but I would love some input during the process). If things work out then we could progress to my other unpublished stories, and perhaps tackle my published ones that I have already vowed to rewrite.

This seems to fit the intent of the group, but doesn't seem to fit the suggested procedure, and I certainly don't want to flood the group with over half dozen posts asking for help. Thus, I'm uncertain in how to proceed: should I just pick one story and try to get help with it, or is there some other procedure for me to follow?

There is a short overview of the eight stories I want the most help with in my latest blog post, if that helps.

IRpony
Group Admin

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away Strider. I appreciate the post and thank you heartily for having both the courage and courtesy to post it here.
Now, on the topic of editing, I'm unsure how to address your need for help, but let me simply state: If you post a thread in our forums to give our editors an idea of what they'll be working with, perhaps it'd be more productive. As well as narrow down who could actually be of service to your cause.
Each story is an individual. There's no "one size fits all" and there's a likelihood that an editor of ours could genuinely enjoy some of your concepts. If that's the case, all the better for you!
So, I don't know how much this actually answered your question, so let me reiterate by suggesting: Post up a story. Just whichever you'd like to get worked on.
Once you're more familiar with the editing "process" from that first story, it may be more evident what to do for subsequent ones.
Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask here or PM me personally if you have any further questions of concerns.

hey guys I only need one chapter of my story edited for now I'm only able to write about one chapter a week is there anywhere I could go to get it edited?

Hello!
A small question in regards to the whole editing thing.

From what I can read on your front page, it sounds like you only accept already finished stories, and refuse (harsh word, my apologies) to accept on-going ones. Is this the case, or am I reading too much into an odd phrasing?

auramane
Group Contributor

No you're reading too much into it. It probably could be cleared up a little, but we do accept on-going stories as long as it reaches the standard of quality we expect before it's submitted and it remains close to that level with the new chapters. Now, it doesn't need to be perfect, because otherwise, why would you need us then, but we still expect it to have some level of legibility.

Okay. That's all I really wanted to get cleared up. Thanks! :twilightsmile:

Heya.
I'm in the process of writing a full draft of a story of mine - I'd say I'm around 80% finished. My question is (and I do agree with what others have said about the main page being too vague) if it's okay to submit a story solely for pre-reading. Mine is shock-full of errors and things I want to keep in mind when rewriting, but at this stage, I only require feedback on general story structure (pacing, what scenes to include/keep/discard/modify, characters etc). It feels better to get that out of the way as early as possible. If preferable, though, I could fix the thing up a bit before submitting.

I also wonder if it's possible to submit the same story twice (once for pre-reading only, once for editing), since I would still require help with grammar.

IRpony
Group Admin

If the story is incomplete, it can still be submitted. However, we're hoping that you've shown some initiative in editing it yourself by the time you're ready to submit here. When a story comes here, we're going to get down to the nitty-gritty and really work out the kinks. That tends to happen more quickly when the author has already gotten some of the obvious out of the way (capitalization, complete sentences... basic stuff).
That being the case, if you decide to make a thread, your story will still go through a prereading process to see if it is ready for editing. If you decide you don't want an editor after that, of course that's fine. But everyone who submits a story here automatically gets a preread. You will get feedback from that prereader regardless of whether the story passes the screening process or not.

For story threads here, there is only one per story, but you will just get an update in that thread when you get an editor

I hope that answers your question. Feel free to also check out the group Looking for Editors if you feel like the story just needs a tune up before submission here.
Thanks for the question.

All right, thank you.
I think I misunderstood the different purposes of your editors and prereaders, though - I had this idea that editors focus solely on grammar and spelling, while prereaders are the ones providing in-depth general feedback. You guys do it sort of the other way around, yes?
In any case, I'll be finishing up my story to the best of my ability before submitting it here.
Thank you for the help.

IRpony
Group Admin

Glad to hear it.
On the editor/prereader note the idea here is that prereaders can read a higher volume of stories because they provide general feedback to a story after reading through it. Editors provide a line by line approach, so it takes longer but hopefully provides more detailed feedback.

As I've found that my ability to edit effectively has increased and my ability to find a part time editor has ended in success. I was wondering; forgive me If I failed to notice it posted somewhere, how does one cancel the process of finding an editor through OEE? (Of Course) Or do I just say it like I just have and *BOOM* done?

I just found this group and was wondering. Why not have story folders where people can put the stories edited on this group, that way people can find properly edited stories here rather than hope to find stories other places and hoping?

It has been almost a week since I posted my new story to find an editor for it, it meets all requirements and I have followed the submission rules yet it still has not been replied to, so I have no idea if it was pre-read or if it was actually received, do I have to wait a months for this to happen I haven't even received feedback.

Can we submit chapter 1 of a story and an outline for the group to look at? I've got one chapter done thats about 3,800 words and a full outline, but I want to make sure that's okay by the rules

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 42