Overly Extensive Editors 745 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 36 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 36

First of all, thanks for everyone's cooperation during the chaos of transferring and adapting to the new system. It's a major overall from our previous system, and I appreciate each and every one of you for being so patient during this crazy time.

However, our system's bound to have flaws, as well as possible complications in figuring out how to use it. So I've created this thread to help alleviate such problems.

If you run into a problem using the Google Drive system, such as not being able to view your own user files, you don't have permissions to comment on your assignments, or having trouble accessing the Overly-Extensive Editors community folder, reply to this post, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Also, if you have any questions on how to use our system, first, check out this thread if you are a staff member here. If you read through and still have questions, this is the place to ask.

Finally, if you have a suggestion on how to improve our system or increase our efficiency, such as adding more folders, improving our instructions either on the front page or our references in the community folder, we'd love to hear what you have in mind!

Once again, thanks for all of your cooperation, and thanks to the staff members for donating your time and effort toward helping others.

- Toothless the Night Fury

(Initiate ipwnlocks' troll comment. :twilightsmile:)

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1419867 Salutations Toothless,
I've been trying to move a folder from one to another. Do I need special permissions to do so, or do I not yet have clearance? Or is the consarned modern dohickey supposed to behave in such a manner as to induce hair pulling and raging against the machine? Could you take a look from your end, and see if it something with access restrictions or something?

Some folders you have "Can View" access to, while others you have "Can Edit" access to. Your own User Files should be set so that you have full access in editing and moving folders around. However, many of our other folders are set to "Can View" except for the admins and myself.

What would you like to transfer over? I can probably do so on my end. If it's a huge problem though, perhaps I should change it so that more users have "Can Edit" permissions.

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1422586 I need Alone in the Dark moved from queue folder to the complete folder, if you please. Tried doing it myself, but it just wouldn't do it...

IRpony
Group Admin

Done.
Thanks AuthorGenesis, I took the initiative and moved the fic over to your completed folder. There are likely still a few bugs in the system. I'll see if I can't find a solution so that the system will allow you to do that from your end.

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1423638 That would be much appreciated. I'd feel bad if I had to message one of you guys every time I needed a story moved to a different folder. Plus, it gives you guys more work, if we, as editors and advisers/ pre-readers couldn't move stories as needed. So yeah, being able to move stories to different folders by ourselves would be awesome.

IRpony
Group Admin

Okay, I'm pretty sure that it works as intended now.
According to what I was able to do off my own share folder the steps are as follows:

1. Go to the story in your Google drive.
2. Click on the "folder" icon located next to the name of the story. When "organize" comes up, click on that.
3. This will take you to your shared folders. Scroll through them in the following order:
>Click arrow next to "Overly-Extensive Editors"
>Click arrow next to "A2- User Files"
>Click arrow next to "A1- Editors"
>Click arrow next to "[Your_Username]"
4. Under your user name there should be three folders. Click the one you want to move the story to so there is a check-mark next to it.
5. Go down to the bottom of the pop-up window and click "move" to confirm your actions.
6. The files should be transferred to the desired folder!

(Hint: if you want to move the file into multiple folders, you can hold down the Ctrl key to highlight more than one when clicking)

I'm going to move the story back into your queue so you can try it. Let me know how it works out.

Thanks IRpony for helping out. I was away for a little bit and didn't see the post. :derpytongue2:

If what you did still doesn't work AuthorGenesis, let me know. It might be because your User Files is set as "Can Edit", while the individual folders themselves (A1 - Queue, A2 - Editing, etc etc.) are set as "Can View". I can fix it so that they're both "Can Edit", as well as for everyone else if you're still having trouble.

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1424158>>1424442 When I click the organize button, the menu disappears, and there's the briefest message of loading, but nothing happens. Though when I click on my editing folder, and expand details it mentions the following: Visibility: Private to Overly Extensive Editors + 5 more. Though clicking on my folder itself under sharing, it has my name david webb with can edit in Sharing details. Is there something that I've yet to do that I've not done? Do I need to download Google Drive or something? Because I've followed the instructions IRpony provided up to clicking the organize button beneath the story folder, but it doesn't take me to the Overly Extensive Editor's folder, which according to IRpony, it should. Is the problem on my end, or is there still kinks in the initial implementation of the new system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,

AuthorGenesis

IRpony
Group Admin

Okay sorry about getting back to you on this AuthorGenesis. I hope the wait wasn't too bad.
Anyways, I think that I might be able to trouble shoot the solution for you. After testing G-docs I'm wondering if you've added the folders shared with you to "my drive."
In order to make sure that you have, do the following steps.

1. Click on "Drive" at the top of your Google user account.
2. After it takes you to "My Drive" look over on the left-hand side of the screen. There will be several options listed there under the red "create" button.
3. Click on "shared with me."
4. Scroll down until you see a folder named "Overly-Extensive Editors"
5. Click on that folder so that a check-mark appears next to it.
6. After it's highlighted, go back to the top of your screen under the Google search bar and click the folder that says "Add to My Drive"
7. Once it's added to your Google Drive, you should be able to access it.

If that still doesn't work, or you need troubleshooting go here: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375057?p=swm_ww&rd=1
Hope that helps... :twilightsheepish:

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1426341 Sweet, it works now! Thanks IRpony and Toothless for helping me troubleshoot regarding this matter. Keep on being awesome!

Peace,

AuthorGenesis

IRpony
Group Admin

Yay me is gud with the technologies! :rainbowwild:
You are most welcome.

I was just watching. IRpony should be the one you should thank. XD

Thanks for that IR. It's awesome to see that other people actually understand the new system, and that everyone's helping each other out.

Ave.

I've a problem.

I was working with one of the editos of this group, when said editor sent me a Google Docs version of the text with the comments related to the problems of the text.

Problem is, the link that he sent me gave me a "view only" mode, forbidding me to do anything on the text, but copy-and-past on Open Office, for then jump from a window to another.

The editor told me that he checked everything, before sending me the link so... is a special permiss needed, for edit a text ?

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1435787 Hey Daxn, I figured I'd try to help you troubleshoot with you so we can get moving on with the edits. First, do you have a google or gmail account? Because if not, that's going to be the first order of business. Well, and signing into your gmail account.
Thing is, since IRpony pasted it into the G-docs and placed it into the OOE drive, I may not be sure, but perhaps editing permissions haven't been granted to you yet? Though to do that, you'll probably want to PM one of the moderators with your gmail address. You'll probably want to PM IRpony, since he/ she is the most active, as of late... At least as far as thread activity and moderating is concerned.
So yeah, try that and if that doesn't work for you, then go ahead and fire IRpony a PM about you not having editing permissions, and hopefully that's all that it is.

I have the account: otherwise, I would be able to convert my text from Open Office into GDoc.

Ah, and I've already used it.

I suppose tha I don't have the permiss

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1436263 Then what you need to do is PM IRpony with your gmail account (e-mail address) and notify him that you don't have the proper permissions to edit your own story. It would probably be a good idea to include the title of your story, as I've noticed several stories to your FIMfiction account already. Making sure to communicate properly, since assumptions and miscommunications would be bad.

Is there some kind of system for taking on unassigned stories? Do we notify the author, the group, or what? The reason I'm asking is because the procedure of unassigned stories isn't in the reference.

IRpony
Group Admin

Currently the unassigned stories listing acts as a purgatory were we can keep stories until the editors/pre-readers accept them.
I usually delete them from that folder after I know that an author has been assigned the help requested.
If there is a particular story you had your eye on though, feel free to contact me about it and I'll see what I can do for you. (Trust me there's plenty of work to go around if that's what you're looking for...:raritywink: just might not be in your particular preference...)

DualThrone
Group Admin

So... where are these folders of ours?

IRpony
Group Admin

If you mean the folders to get to the stories that are shared with you check under your drive in google. If it's not visible there, go through the same process as AuthorGenesis and go to your shared documents to add it to your drive so it'll show up. Let me know if that helped. If it didn't maybe you could be more specific and I'll try again. (With screenshots or something)

DualThrone
Group Admin

1507036 What do you mean, "be more specific"? Toothless refers to folders that we can change the color of; it's not possible to be any more specific than that.

IRpony
Group Admin

Oh those would be the "Queue," "Editing," and "Completed folders on the far left of your google drive. Those are the folders that you would be able to change the colors of.

DualThrone
Group Admin

1512683 OK then. That narrows it down a tiny bit. Where are these folders to be found on the Google Drive, though?

IRpony
Group Admin

I'll lay it out step by step just to be thorough.
1. Go to your google drive by right clicking the "drive" button at the very top of gmail.
2. Once there go to the far left. You should see a button that says "My Drive."
3. Right click the black arrow next to that button and it should open up to a folder with OEE documents.
4. Sort through those folders until you find the ones under your name.
5. Left click on each folder individually and scroll down the menu to the "change color" option.
6. Set it to your color preference.

I hope that troubleshooting helps somewhat. :twilightsmile:

DualThrone
Group Admin
IRpony
Group Admin

Okay, we're in some shit deep dookie because I can't seem to figure out why the colors of the folders aren't showing up over in the oeemlp@gmail.com drive.
Can Toothless or anyone else with access to the admin drive let me know if they see colors?
I mean I changed mine specifically to see if it would work, and when I go over to the drive I can't see that the color has changed.
Troubleshooting on this issue, or is it just me?

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1419867>>1512827 Had some trouble accessing my editor folder in Google Drive for a while, someone was mucking around with the system. While it was brief in duration, I didn't see any notification threads indicating that due to updates/ modifications to the system, that there could be temporary issues with accessing our folders. For future reference, it would be most appreciated if a notification thread was made if OEE drive accessibility is going to be affected. Because I was just about to add to this thread (more than I already have) regarding my inability to access my OEE folder. A little courtesy goes a long way with us. Thanks for your time and attention.

Peace,

AuthorGenesis

IRpony
Group Admin

That's really my bad. I let Toothless know (as you can see with my above comment) that the system wasn't working and he went off to fix it. I didn't think it was anything that would disrupt the normal flow of traffic at the time (which I agree is an issue, as it was for me as well since I was administering a test to a prospective editor) and I'm sure he didn't either.
One thing led to another and the entire system got a little screwed up. Anyways Toothless said he'd patch it back together, so hopefully that means by the end of the night.

I apologize. Now that you mention it, it really would be a good idea to post threads about it, or assign dates with times.

I didn't expect the update to muck around the folders too much, but one thing lead to another, and it ended up bringing down the system for an hour or so.

Once again, I apologize. Also, the color system is in-operational, so we're working hard to create a workaround.

Thanks for your cooperation in all of this.

TheGreatEater
Group Contributor

What is the wait time between post before a person bumps a thread while waiting for an editor or an answer to a question?

IRpony
Group Admin

Sorry there TheGreatEater, I saw what AuthorGenesis told you, but in fact I'd like to correct that a bit further even. If you need support for this kind of thing visit [SUPPORT] Community: Questions, Comments, Concerns at the top of our group threads and post there. This thread is more for technical support with the current g-docs system.

However, to address the concerns that you went over, yes I am still looking, as I detailed to editors exactly what you were looking for. As you can imagine I'm waiting for their response to see if the issues been resolved so that takes time and then it takes more time to get back to you.

What is the wait time between post before a person bumps a thread while waiting for an editor or an answer to a question?

To answer that question you posed here, there is no general waiting time but, if you'd like a quicker response to a question or concern post in the thread above or your personal editing related thread and be sure to quote the person who's attention you're trying to get (like me, lol :twilightblush:). That should work. For an even quicker response time, you can send a PM to me. Honestly, to anyone out there reading this, I don't mind. It stands out so it is the best form for quick notification.

Thank you for your patience and in the new system when you have an editor their name will appear next to your story name in the title of the thread.
Hope that helped. :ajsmug:

And I'll be sure to help on the other stuff too, of course.

TheGreatEater
Group Contributor

That answers it perfectly. Honestly I was going to wait 3 days before bumping the thread to ask, but now I'll just PM you after 3 days (hopefully that's a good wait period between checking up). And I thank you for your help.

I went ahead and modified the title to be a little more specific on what the thread was for.

AuthorGenesis
Group Admin

1543824 Dragor's "Sweetie Belle's Search for Immortality" Gdocs seem to be acting up lately. You guys haven't been mucking with the system and not letting us know, have you? Otherwise, is it the Google Drive itself, or the document in question? Unless his document really hates me for some reason. If you could take a look at it, that would be great. Because I have no idea why it's acting up.

Peace,

AuthorGenesis

IRpony
Group Admin

It should work now AuthorGenisis. I've double checked the permissions and the document seems to be in your "editing" folder. All systems go then! :ajsmug:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 36