Overly Extensive Editors 745 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

Hello everyone! Thanks for checking this out!

Apeirophobia is planned to be a long fanfiction, taking place in a slightly Alternate Universe. Its main genre would be Adventure, but in that it contains a lot of multigenre content that’s difficult to pin down entirely. There will be some Tragedy and there will be Sad moments, but these are not the focus. The story will range from Teen to Mature featuring light gore and some intimate relations. It will take place over multitudes of settings with a host of Original Characters.

The main plot thread involves the attack of Twilight Sparkle by unknown Griffins, eventually forcing Equestria into open conflict for the first time in two-hundred years. The story starts off with Twilight and Steel Wind (OC) trying to survive in hostile territory while eventually trying to figure out who started the war.

The story will feature many different points of view (POVs) showing the consequences of both war and peace.

Steel Wind is young guard in the Equestrian military. After reassignment to Canterlot during the Changeling invasion, he is approached by a high-ranking official, and told that he must see Twilight Sparkle to Griffinstone for a diplomatic mission. Shocked at why he is chosen, it is explained to him that his ancestors, called “the Winds” by most of Equestria are still highly revered by the griffins, and that his presence would be a great help to the cause.

There are more planned, but the rest don’t have as solid a description that I’m willing to share yet.

So, why is it called Apeirophobia? That’s a question that will be answered toward the latter half of the fic, and will apply heavily to many of the mysteries surrounding it.

Currently, the story only has about 3000 words. Those words constitute most of Chapter 1 that as of now is not complete. I wanted to have someone look at my work early on so we can pinpoint what is good and what is bad early on.

I believe my grammar is fairly good, but it’s hard for me to really say. If I’ve made any mistakes in this post then suppose you have your answer. I’d probably need the most help with applying themes consistently and correctly as well as using more advanced literary techniques to their full potential.

Well, I’ve already built up a fair amount of anxiety trying to get this right, so I think I’ll leave it there.

Thanks!

Apeirophobia is planned to be a long fanfiction, taking place in a slightly Alternate Universe. Its main genre would be Adventure, but in that it contains a lot of multigenre content that’s difficult to pin down entirely. There will be some Tragedy and there will be Sad moments, but these are not the focus. The story will range from Teen to Mature featuring light gore and some intimate relations. It will take place over multitudes of settings with a host of Original Characters.

It is actually much easier to pin down than you think. The genre tags are not content tags. You don't include them just because some parts are sad, funny, or romantic. You include them because that is what kind of story it is. You state this is an adventure, and so it is.

Tragedy in particular stands out here. Someone dying doesn't make a story a tragedy. You get exactly one end to your story. If that end is a literary tragedy in which we get a bad end instead of a happy end, then you have written a tragedy. It isn't possible for there to be "moments" of tragedy.

Sad is the same way. Someone having a glum day in the story isn't a "sad moment so tag it." The story should only bear the tag if that is the central focus of your story. Much the way that a comedy is written so the entire work is packed with jokes and the basic premise is absurdist or subversive.

Genre tags tell the reader broadly what they're getting into. A romance story isn't just because the main characters have a bit of tension and kiss at the end. It becomes a romance genre story if the main focus is the relationship itself.

Mixing genre tags is usually not appropriate. That's a sign that you either don't understand them, don't understand your own story, or both. If two or maybe three really do honestly apply to your story, that's probably fine but you're telling your readers to expect a fairly dilute story that doesn't do any particular genre it fits in well. If you're trying to push past that into tag salad, you've written a terrible story and everyone with any sense ought to steer clear of it.

Sadly, most of the site also doesn't understand genre tags either. So, your milage may vary. I constantly see this confusion pop up, and it is frustrating as hell.

Yeah, that's honestly what I would say about it as well, but given that I've seen many, many tags on some stories where they don't apply as much as they rightly should, I thought I should give as much information as possible to help out.

When you work with an idea for a long time, at least in my experience, it can become kind of difficult to say what kind of thing it is that you're writing. It just kind of becomes something real to you that you want to tell, regardless of what descriptors may apply it.

Thanks for your reply!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3