Apple Pie 256 members · 53 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Esle Ynopemos
Group Admin

This week's thread is where we can share our favorite recipes for apple pie!

Celestia, I love this ship! TwiDash fans don't get to do this kind of thing!

This is from my copy of Joy of Cooking. Apologies to those of you that use the metric system:

Line a 9-inch pan with half the dough (2 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 3/4 cup vegetable shortening, 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, 6 tablespoons of water sprinkled in while stirring). Preheat the oven to 425 F and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.

Peel, core, and slice up 2 1/2 pounds of apples(depending on the size of the apples, this will probably be 5 or 6 of them). Make the slices 1/4 inch thick.

Combine the apples in a bowl with:
3/4 cup sugar
2 or 3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt.

Let it stand for 15 minutes, stirring often, so that the apples soften slightly. Pour the filling into the bottom crust and gently level it with the back of a spoon. Cut up 2 tablespoons unsalted butter into small pieces and sprinkle them over the top of the filling.

Cover the top with the other half of the dough (the book wants you to cut it into strips and make a criss-cross pattern, but as long as you leave enough openings for the steam to escape, anything will do). Sprinkle the top crust with2 teaspoons sugar and 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

Bake for 30 minutes, then slip a baking sheet under the pie pan (to catch filling in case it overflows) and turn the oven down to 350 F. Continue to bake until juices are bubbling out of the gaps in the top crust, and the fruit feels tender when poked with a knife (this takes another 30 to 45 minutes, but can vary widely depending on the oven).

Let it cool for 3 or 4 hours. Enjoy!

If you've got any recipes of your own, go on and share them below!

:ajsmug::heart::pinkiehappy:

Are other apple-based baked goods fair game as well (Pinkie's a baker, so that makes sense, right?) or would they imply that AJ's cheating? I have a tasty apple muffin recipe, but I don't want anyone to think I'm actually a spy from the DerpyJack group.

Esle Ynopemos
Group Admin

771789 Heh, sure, go ahead.

I don't think I've ever heard of a story shipping Derpy and AJ before.

I don't have a recipe, but every time I see any sort of post for you I want to write an ApplePie fic...

I can barely get around to my current projects, though ;-;

Esle Ynopemos
Group Admin

772337 I'll just have to keep posting till you write it, then! :pinkiehappy:

I know for sure that I will be at some point, as one of my -planned- fics involves ApplePie... Which I keep trying to type as 'AppliePie' for some reason :derpyderp1:

Apple Pie Muffins
(adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 7th ed.)

Wet ingredients:
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 medium apples (peeled & chopped)

Dry ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Grease the bottoms of 12 medium muffin cups. In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. In a large bowl, beat the egg, then stir in the rest of the wet ingredients. Mix in the dry ingredients (the batter will be stiff) and fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake at 400*F on the middle rack until golden brown or until a cake tester comes out clean (about 15-20 minutes) and immediately remove them from the pan.

Best eaten fresh, but let them cool!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7