Babs Seed 352 members · 326 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

Look at this photo. Look at it VERY CAREFULLY. Is it the photo YOU have wanted to see? No. Is it the photo I wanted to see? No. Is it the photo Hasbro wants to see? DEFINITELY.

Reason? HASBRO ONLY WANTS TO DEFINE BABS SEED BY HER EARLY S3 ROLE AND IS HARDLY A THINKER WHEN IT COMES TO OUR FEELINGS ABOUT HER. They feel that her circa "One Bad Apple" persona should remain her only one, when in reality, a lot of the people here want her to live a life much brighter. Now, only under independent ownership will that EVER happen to Babs. I don't want her killing people. I don't want her to slaughter people. I don't want her to spell DOOMSDAY for anybody she approaches. It's unnatural and it's wrong. And we have seen enough of it.

WHILE BAD_SEED_72 CORRECTLY PREDICTED THAT BABS WOULD GET HER CUTIE MARK FIRST, WHICH WAS WHAT HAPPENED, HE WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY WHEN IT CAME TO THE CUTIE MARK HASBRO FORCED HER TO GET IN ORDER TO MAKE A CHEAP BUCK OFF OF "ONE BAD APPLE." From a blog post:

Okay, first things first: that cutiemark. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought that came out of nowhere. A pair of scissors?!

Lewd jokes aside, which I'm 99% certain are the product of my/our own collective twisted imagination rather than the animators inserting a dirty joke into the show by giving the most masculine female character an obviously lesbian allusion, why is it a pair of scissors? Why not a seed? Or a shield? Huh? Huh?!

As Bloom And Gloom points out later, most ponies have a cutiemark that ends up in accordance with their name. Why did we get a stylist instead of a gardener? It's Babs Seed, not Babs Shears.

[...]

While it's pretty great that one of the CMC finally was given a damn cutiemark, I can only see this as a way for the writers to remove Babs Seed from the show for good. Without the fourth Crusader, there's really no reason to go to Manehatten unless Rarity wants to steal from more hotel rooms. Any possibility of meeting more Cutie Mark Crusaders in Manehatten has been thoroughly squashed, as is any reason for Babs to be developed in general.

The show tends to flatly characterize the cutiemarked foals—Diamond Tiara is a horrible equine, Silver Spoon is her synchopant, Featherweight is a photographer, Snips and Snails are stereotypical dumb boys, etc. A possible exception to this rule might be Rumble, who is also a blankflank—though this is never acknowledged by the show or the CMC themselves—but our only knowledge of him is literally "Thunderlane's little brother". That exception aside, it's pretty clear that the show has no interest to date in utilizing cutiemarked foals as anything but background ponies and/or CMC tormentors.

While I hate to say it, I'm pretty sure this is the last we'll ever see or hear of Babs Seed in the show. R.I.P. Babs, we hardly knew ye.

Bad_Seed_72 is right. Her name is NOT Babs Shears. And you know what? She should never be PORTRAYED as Babs Shears. Which is EXACTLY how Hasbro wants her to be portrayed. It's disgusting and makes us look like complete jerks. Bad_Seed_72 is also right about the behind-the-scenes motive behind that cutie mark. It is probably the last we'll ever hear or see Babs on the show. And it doesn't have to be. Here's how it cannot:

1. Find a website where you can file a petition begging Hasbro to drop the rights to Babs Seed and hand them over to somebody who could give her a more proper treatment, like me. Websites like MoveOn and filmmakers like Robert Greenwald (Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism, Wal-Mart: The High Cost Of Low Price) are good outlets for such a petition.
2. Write a letter to the head of Hasbro, which is based in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, asking him or her to withdraw ALL rights to Babs Seed, excluding her cutie mark and her two episodes, which they could keep. Furthermore, inform the company that, once their rights to Babs are dropped, she could only appear in an MLP:FIM episode featuring her if the synopsis does not put Babs in any role that would be considered bullying.

Remember, if you REALLY want Babs to come back, you've got to stand up to Hasbro's characteristic of Babs and take action. Do it for her. Do it for me. Do it for this group. And do it NOW.

keam
Group Admin

4514290 Okay, I'mm very critical ot htis thread, but for now I'm letting this thread be... though if I see it causing trouble or fights between users, I WILL lock and delete it, is that understood?

- Keam, General Admin

4514295 It is understood. Besides, this is an call for action, and I want to see people participating in it, not giving me hell over it.

keam
Group Admin

Same. I do not want trouble, and the risk IS thos will stirr up trouble...

PS I submitted C'est La Vie. Your mentioned in the A/N, too. Get excited or somethign

I'll be on high alert!

That's great! I'll be happy to see it in a few hours time!

4514290 While I definitely don't like how they just dropped the bombshell of Babs getting her cutie mark onto us without any sort of buildup, and it definitely just feels like an excuse to write Babs out of the show, I think you're being a bit too harsh on Hasbro for the decision. We don't know for certain what plans are in store for Babs. It's even a faint possibility that she didn't write the letter, or she lied about getting her cutie mark. (Probably not, but you never know.)

keam
Group Admin

4514333 Thanks

Wow that's bull. Seriously you have nothing better to do then that?

4514356 Look keam! I found our first stirrer of trouble (4514455)! Ready to take the necessary precautions?

4514514 I don't want trouble. But your argument is so weak. First that picture? Did Hasbro draw it? No. Do you know the plans they have with Babs? No. So please close this blog because it is of no value. Thanks.

keam
Group Admin

4514524 Alright, miss, I see your no trouble maker. But it owuld preferred if you STARTED with oyur second comment, it would have been much more pleasent and less of an atac and more of a reaosnable, polite discussion about your diffirent openions.

I'm gonna leave you both with the message above, and nothing mroe than that for now, but if you continue, i'll close the thread.
And if you wondern why I include you in this, Jesse Coffey, it's because I'd preferre if you let us amdins do our work on our own in the future. it's not fair and can also be very aggravating for other users to be told on ot the admins, which means you could essential be building up ofr fighting and trouble in the group, whucih won't be tolerated.

:unsuresweetie: But how can you hate on this cutie?

(Click for source)

4514290 Looks like someone hasn't read the comic foreshadowing this with her and Rarity. They're clearly better tied to canon than most people give them credit for.

4515281 They do make an effort to do that, and they're getting closer. There are a few which are WAY off, still, but they're clearly keeping the comic writers in the loop about what's going to happen now.

4515327 I always just saw them as canon unless something in the show contradicts them. Expanded universe, beta-canon stuff. If they're keeping them in the loop, that's even better.

Regidar
Group Admin

4514290 bad_seed_72 is a chick, my friend

4514290 No words.

You do have to realize that the show is still marketed towards children, right?

I don't mean to sound snide, but I don't think characterization for every horse that jumps on the screen is a main priority with the kids nowadays.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17