Mentally Deficient Authors 631 members · 1,412 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

So.. after this flame war/blog post and I saw the Celestia awful 'arguing' and basically destroying their own arguments and credibility... I thought I'd make a quick guide on the finer points of how to properly argue without just causing fights and insults.

First off, lets start by talking about what this guide will address as arguing.

Arguing is for the purposes of persuading others to see the validity, credibility and on some occasions that you are correct and they are not. Now, the last one has a few more requirements to do with 'correctly' then the other two.

Bickering or fighting, is just insulting each other and using fancy words to hide insults.

Now, keep both those in mind.

1) Do not insult the person you are arguing with. NO MATTER if they insult you or not. This is important, because it shows your maturity, which gains support for you from any bystanders, and will make you seem the more intelligent and mature person.(if done right) Not to mention, insults destroy credibility. Which destroys any argument you can make.

2) Make VALID statements. As in, something that makes sense, and has logic and COMMON SENSE behind it and can be proven. (See below.)

3) This is important to prove you are right. EVIDENCE. CITED EVIDENCE FROM TRUSTED AND RELIABLE SOURCES. If you some says something, and you go in and correct them, with evidence from a reliable and trusted source that they can not combat, you have basically ended the argument.

4) Now, a tip. If you are stating an opinion make sure you do so. THAT IT IS NOT FACT BUT YOUR OWN OPINION BASED ON WHAT YOU KNOW OR HAVE LEARNED. This can actually stop anyone from being rude in an argument to you first, if you are willing to admit you could be wrong and have the option of being persuaded, people will have a healthy and reasonable argument with you. And hell, sometimes you just won't know or will be wrong that's kay. Even I lose from time to time.

Anyways, a quick guide on how to argue properly. If something doesn't make sense, or need to be explained more, point it out. Also ,feel free to throw this around, or plug it.

And if you can argue correctly, then have a winning.

ur a gay fagot, Abe Lincoln told me so himself:trollestia:

519901 ur moms ABe lincona nd i herd taht from Osama laden.

Osama?
Nah man, you're talking about the great pharaoh, bill nye

I'll let that slide because you had a shitty day, however, Luna...

Your father was a hamster, and your mother smelt of elderberries.

Luna: Your level of insulting is below us, we deem thee a faggot and a failure. Be gone heathen.

I've been called worse by better:trollestia:

Luna: I wouldn't consider your only ex-girlfriend better.

"only"?
Clearly, thou are misinformed.

(on an unrelated note, that was actually pretty damn good, if in-effective)

Luna: Thou art silly willy. And cute.

(I'm tired, because Dawn doesn't sleep. :l)

Whatever Ms. Moonbutt Grammar Nazi:trollestia:

Azu
Group Admin

I often am lazy when it comes to arguing. It's too much work to really construct an argument most of the time, and often not worth it. Though, if push comes to shove, I was a Philosophy minor, and could lay the formal smack down on someone. :rainbowdetermined2:

519898 Someone has no future in politics...

1) Do not insult the person you are arguing with. NO MATTER if they insult you or not. This is important, because it shows your maturity, which gains support for you from any bystanders, and will make you seem the more intelligent and mature person.(if done right) Not to mention, insults destroy credibility. Which destroys any argument you can make.

That's right, do not insult. Anyone can insult. if you are wise, you slander your opponent!

2) Make VALID statements. As in, something that makes sense, and has logic and COMMON SENSE behind it and can be proven. (See below.)

Nope. Go straight for the feels. Every smart politician knows that by targeting the feels of your constituents you garner more votes than by using logic. Most people don't even know how to spell 'Logic', let alone what it is!

3) This is important to prove you are right. EVIDENCE. CITED EVIDENCE FROM TRUSTED AND RELIABLE SOURCES. If you some says something, and you go in and correct them, with evidence from a reliable and trusted source that they can not combat, you have basically ended the argument.

If by evidence, you mean more slander, and if by trusted and reliable sources, you mean anything that would pass as fact with Bill O'Rilly, then yes! if that fails, think of something that is witty enough to make a 5th grader laugh...

4) Now, a tip. If you are stating an opinion make sure you do so. THAT IT IS NOT FACT BUT YOUR OWN OPINION BASED ON WHAT YOU KNOW OR HAVE LEARNED. This can actually stop anyone from being rude in an argument to you first, if you are willing to admit you could be wrong and have the option of being persuaded, people will have a healthy and reasonable argument with you. And hell, sometimes you just won't know or will be wrong that's kay. Even I lose from time to time.

I don't even know where to start with you...do you even have any idea who you're talking to? If you were from, where I am from, you'd be f*cking done! :rainbowlaugh:

This isn't for politicians to use. It is more formal way to make an argument. Politician 'debate' and that is different then what I am arguing from, so kindly don't tell me I'm wrong about arguing as I stated in the guide and then use something COMPLETELY different as an example why.

And no, I'm not where you are from. I'm from a place where insults mean you can't prove your point, so you bash someone else to try and make you look better.

:moustache:

520600 A sense of humor, clearly you are lacking... :unsuresweetie:

I did not see humor thar. :ajbemused:

Azure Quill
Group Admin

My face was all serious until i reached the end... you sir! deserve a winning for posting a winning! :pinkiecrazy:

- Azure Quill - Psychopath and Philosopher for the MDA, Mentally Deficient Authors.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18