The Cake Family 196 members · 256 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

People are wondering why Pound and Pumpkin can fly and use magic, even though it's explained? Didn't they watch the episode carefully enough or what:ajbemused:

it's not just that they can do these things. At least compared to some of the adult ponies we've seen in the show, they appear to be a lot better at magic and flight.

Rarity and Rainbow Dash do offer an explanation in the show, but it's not too unreasonable to assume that the Cake twins are prodigies even beyond this explanation. If every baby unicorn or pegasus could walk through walls or fly so fast that they could drag a full grown pony down the hall, there'd be a lot fewer adult unicorns and pegasi around.

1686235 Rarity said Baby unicorns can get strange magical bursts. However, it hasen't been explained how strange they can get

1686377 Exactly, and it's open to interpretation. I'd say given what we've seen with Pumpkin though, it's a miracle she's not dead. If a little kid in the human world had superpowers, how long do you think they'd last? They'd require constant supervision. Like, you couldn't even leave them alone for five minutes. Not even when they're asleep. Would you risk Pumpkin getting out of her crib and phasing through a wall and out into the street and getting run over by a carriage? No.

If all unicorn children were like that, there would be very few unicorns around because the mortality rate for them would be staggering. Same with Pound. What if he flew off and couldn't find his way home and starved to death or got eaten by a timberwolf?

That's at least why I think the Cakes' situation is highly unusual. It would have to be.

I know that episode was about responsibility or whatever, but I do have to sympathize with Pinkie at least a bit. :pinkiesad2: Yeah she didn't know what she was handling, but I don't think anyone else did either.

Perhaps we're still trying to puzzle out why Scootaloo can't fly. Before "Baby Cakes," I think we all assumed she was just too young. (The "cherubs" at the end of "FIM: Part 2" might be dismissed as artistic license.) Now the question of Scoot's status cannot be avoided.

Alpha Scorpii
Group Admin

I assume it's the same reason why everyone thinks Pinkie has a split personality, or that Flutterhsy's life dream is to be a tree, or that Celestia is obsessed with pranks and cakes: people like taking something that appeared in only one chapter or even one scene and turn it into a permanent characteristic of the character for laughs and memes, and if they have to ignore canon explanations to do so, they will.

And yes, I admit I'm a bit guilty of following the crowd in this one :twilightblush: I wrote a fic where Celestia dreams about eating a cake. Can't help it, I like the idea of Celestia having a sweet tooth.

1687680 Maybe Scootaloo's parents aren't pegasi and can't teach her how to fly

1686179 Well for all we know it's like some sort of magic accumulation. For the most part we know that earth bound ponies magic is found in their body for their strength, stamina and physical abilities but most of the control over the land is based on agriculture, for which Cup and Carrot are not. For all we know magic was just building up in Carrots and Cups family until there was an outlet to be used.

As for Scootaloo it was said it would be covered in season 4.

1686442 I agree with you but I think a foal who is not born form the same tribe the parents are is a rarity and most unicorn parents are prepared for their children magical out burst.
While other tribe parents have to learn as they go. But then again it may just come and go as Rarity said in the show.

I had this exact thought. Of course, Mr. and Mrs. Cake are in a similar position with Pound. Maybe some pegasi are just "naturals" at it (like Rainbow Dash) and others have to learn (like Fluttershy).

1691161 Than why did she not learn it from another pony? Pound did not need a teacher, he just did it. Still it's unknown if flying is something u learn or if you just do it.

As for me I think they are prodigies seeing as they are able to do so many thing and have been able to maintain their powers in the books and comics.

1696369 In the show it's said it's phase babies go through (Rainbow Dash saying once he gets his wings working and Rarity talking about magical bursts that come and go) So, it's all natural that they're able to do that and have to relearn it once they're older

Unicorns may have to relearn spells and control their power more, but there has never been anything said, that pegasus lose their flying powers and have to relearn it. Besides it doesn't make senses for a baby pegasus to just forget how to fly. There is nothing charging flying, like there is for magic.

Also in the comics and books he's still flying.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13