Christian Bronies 985 members · 237 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Did the Sabbath end? If not, what do we do on it?

553422 Come now, you don't really believe the whole "end of the world" thing, right? Only God can say wen it'll happen. we humans can't predict anything of the sort.

Wow............it's like you looked directly at the screen on my PC 5 minutes ago.........

The Sabbath is a day of Worship, praise and rest. Much like Christ, we work on the Sabbath to glorify God our Father, and show others the amazing love he has for us.

553677\
So we do observe it then? The commandment to repeat the sabbath is never repeated in the new testament.

There's when Jesus' disciples got in trouble when they were picking grains on the Sabbath because they were hungry. And when the Pharisees tried trapping Jesus by questioning whether it was lawful to heal on the Sabbath or not. Jesus permitted both, using the analogy of a lost sheep and a comparison to David's meal in the temple.

And adding a bit to TheMessenger answer, it's important to note that cleric and religious men worked extra hard on the sabbath.

For me, the Sabbath is a day dedicated for spirituality. I believe that we should still do vital stuff, but less important things should be avoided: those should be replaced with prayer and family interaction. :twilightsmile:

553422 My two cents: I don't think Christians should worry about the Sabbath at all, as it was part of the old covenant. It was meant to lead to Jesus. So I think that, yes, it has ended. (More specifically, I think that the rest believers enter into in Jesus himself supersedes it, along with everything else in the Law.)

Here are a couple Bible verses:

"So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith." (Gal. 3:24)

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes." (Rom. 10:4)

"Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ." (Col. 2:16-17)

Of course, there are some people who will disagree with me and think that Christians should regard the Sabbath in some special way. Actually the early church had the same sort of issues where people were questioning how much of the old rules were valid for those who believed they were entering a brand new covenant with God. Here's Paul's recommendation: "He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it." (Rom. 14:6, KJV) Either way becomes an act of worship.:twilightsmile:

Well, my belief goes to the one with the most bible verses to back it up. Thank you very much.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9