Christian Bronies 984 members · 237 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Can someone explain to me what was up with the story with the quote "The Lord giveth, The Lord taketh away" because my basic synopsis falls into this.

One day Satan went up to heavan(which he isn't supposed to be able to do.) and was like "Yo God, what's new?"

And God said "Well Satan, I'd like you to look at Joe, he is one of my most enthusiastic and kindest worshippers.

So Satan was like " He only likes you cause he's all rich and stuff."

And God said "Dude, not true, check this out." Then he killed Joe's family, crushed his house, and gave him herpes.

And Joe was like"The Lord giveth, and The Lord taketh."

Then God was like "Told you so"

The End.

I assume that I'm not correct with this analysis but it kinda seems like God really fucked this dude over for no other reason than to prove a point to The Prince of Darkness. Honestly it feels kind of wrong that an omnipotent deity would just do that.

Maybe one of you guys can explain it better.

I could explain it to you... but then I would have to kill you. :raritywink:

Kidding. The thing with making these type of questions is that they have already been answered before. But since you are here, let me give to you a more personal answer.

Mind you, I have been raised with a methodist evangelic viewpoint, so others can have a vision a bit different from mine. Okay, let's begin! :twilightsmile:

First thing, let me correct you: it wasn't God who attacked Job. God simply stopped protecting him: the Devil was the one who acted with evil intent.

Now I know you will put the responsibility of this on God, saying: "Then why did He remove his protection?" Let me counter-ask you: what happens when you shelter a child the entire life?

If you shelter a child the entire life, if the child doesn't have any difficulties... then the child will have problems to become an adult. One of the objectives of a Christian life is to improve our faith everyday. Imagine a school that gave all the tests with answers on the back of them: all the students would get straight As... but would they learn anything about the subjects that they will need on their daily lives?

The thing is: we need challenges and trials in order to improve yourselves. It's in the moment of difficulties that we truly have a chance to prove our faith. And Job endured it, being rewarded in the end for what he went through.

So this passage gives us two meanings: The first one is that we Christians aren't excluded from the difficulties of real life. We Christians can be hurt and suffer too. However those things shouldn't be seen only as disgraces: they should be seen as challenges, challenges who need to be surpassed.

The second thing that we can learn is that no matter how hard things are, they can always get better. The story ends with the fufillment of the promise of better days, which we Christians can put alongside the final reward of a righteous life: heaven.

I hope this answers your question! Keep safe! :twilightsmile:

Yeah that pretty much answers me. Thanks.

Only one thing I'd like to add to LightPony's excellent response: It also represents that Job recognizes that God's love for him (and us) and Job's acknowledgement of God's loving character are not based on what is going on in his life or the blessings that he has received, but that God is steady and faithful even through times of darkness and trial.

A little more "churchy" language in my response. :-/

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5