Chrylight is Alright 834 members · 139 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

I'll get straight to the point.

Most fics I've read put the changeling society to a negative light. I see them often being one era back in technology, using feral and primal societal forms, corrupt to the bone governments e.t.c.

Generally I see changelings used as an excuse for people to go all "Darker and Edgier". While I am not necessarily against it I've grown bored of reading the casual "Changeling society is bad/hive mind oppression" fics that depict the ponies as saints in comparison and generally put the ponies at the feet of "Pony Master Race" while the changelings in general are pictured as Chrysalis's
"Henchmen" "Servant race" or "Clone Army" call them whatever you want. Giving the excuse for the few "Special little snowflakes" to deviate and lead the way to the merciful ponies.

Now this isn't a thread about how about you're wrong or stuff. In fact there are fics out there that are quite interesting to read in that perspective, and I certainly don't shut myself from reading them. But at times... I get tired.

So I am looking for something "Interesting" per say... to read. I am looking for stories, or at least YOUR interpretation of a changeling society that is admirable.

Do they practice philosophy? Arts? Do they use the hivemind as a family? Does solidarity work with them? Are the changelings superior and why?

When you respond to this thread do reply to this post so i get notifications. I will also likely copypaste this thread somewhere else.

3975187 There is Of the Hive. It's a universe where there are different Changeling hives with very different cultures and drones. One is very technologically advanced with intelligent drones, while others are very primitive with mindless drones. Also Changeling Twilight.

3975297 I may read this... I may not. Leaning to "I may not" because I've talked a bit with the writer. I don't think it's my kind of story. Just saying.

3975302 Just the first thing that came to mind. I can look some more when I have access to a computer if you'd like.

Last I checked there were quite a few fics that place the Changelings as having superior technology compared to Ponies even if it might be more organic than what we might expect. Several stories hint at them having a rather complicated grasp of at least genetic sciences as well.

3975331 That's ok i understand.

3975334 May I have some links?

Well, aside from the whole morality issues with ponies vs changelings (honestly, they would have vastly different priorities, we are talking herbivores vs emotivores) I think I know why it would be at the very least justifiable that the changelings might be considered a primative/savage race.

From what we have seen in the comics (as the show didn't show much) the changelings seem to have a nomadic lifestyle, stopping and feeding, then moving on when they are done. These style societies tend not to develop much in the way of technology, due to their constant movement. Chrysalis, when she landed in the kitten capital (what ever it was called) didn't take the sources of love back to her homeland to farm… the changelings fed there and then, and fortified in the prebuilt location to draw another source of love in, before presumably moving on again.

The ponies on the other hand (hoof) are an agrarian society, where they are able to set down in one place and live permanently. With the abundance of food that comes from farming (as opposed to strictly hunting) they are able to have some ponies focus on non-essential pursuits, be they art, science, technology, philosophy, etc. They are not limited by the need to be constantly on the move, and having to choose what to take and what to leave behind.

If the changelings have art and culture (which, as sapient beings, would almost certainly have), it would likely be similar to the nomadic societies we still have today, in that they would have oral traditions, and likely performance based culture, such as dancing, singing, music and what not. Due to their nomadic lifestyle, they wouldn't be able to haul around lab equipment, or masses of canvases and paints and statues and what not. Any art and culture they produce, along with technology, would have to be small or non-tangible. Same with technology. Being on the move, they wouldn't have the time to develop something then miniaturize it. They'd likely just co-opt technology used by other nations.

I hope this does not come off as racist (as I certainly don't intend it to be) but I would imagine their culture would be similar to the Romani people, or the Bedouin's. They have a rich culture and history, but it tends to be narrative and performance based, something that suits their very mobile lifestyle (seriously, if you ever get the chance to see proper Bedouin dancing, or Turkish Gypsy dancing, you will be amazed, It leaves the western 'belly dancing' in the dust!)

That being said, there are fics that explore other interpretations of changeling society, and that is a good thing. A buddy of mine, Magic Man, writes a few different interpretations of changeling society. And there are others that try different things. It's just it tends to be easy to paint the changelings as the big bads, and ponies as the saints, like you said. So there are a lot more fics that fall back on the common tropes, much like the whole hivemind thing you mentioned in your last thread.

3975339 Carapace of Lavender is an example of pretty good changeling, not painted in a dark way. It is Humanized though, so if that's not your jam I wouldn't recommend it.
The Celestia Code also has pretty good changelings, but isn't focused on it so much.

3975409 I know Magic Man and I've read maternal instinct. Which while painting Chrysalis negatively a bit still gives her a chance.

I'm not against changelings pictured primitively. I am just saying it is a bit overdone and I'm looking for fresh things to read.

Hm.. let me see if I can dig them up. I see someone already linked Of the Hive for their engineering and the like. In almost all of the ones where Twilight is turned into a changeling, rather than being one all along, there are conversations that indicate they know how to genetically (or magically) convert others usually in special chambers. I rather consider that somewhat a hint at a superior scientist bent. Let's see there is Carapace of Lavender from Dark0592 where it hints at a society that is both advanced and primitive at the same time. That is the only one I can easily pull up from my favorites list without spending an hour or so looking through it. I think The Celestia Code by iisaw also hints at them being the remnants of a more advanced civilization depending on your interpretation of things.

3975532 Hmmm alright I've encountered those here.

Well, is true we need more ChryLight fics with an a advanced changeling civilization, if someone has links, please share them with us :)

I have My Changeling Sevichae(Based idea of German Reich, grand empire of this people)

Changeling Imperium and changeling are industrial but lack stay power beause the food scoure was gold, Chrysalis was people live what was called Dark age of Changeling(Aka Waring Kingdoms and food famine) and Badland was once great Mediterranean sea many many Sun ago(like 100,000,00 year exact) Changeling don't Just eat love but other emotion as-well real food(Emotion is however because changeling need magic to live unlike most speiecs that make own.

Changeling use emotion to get raw magic out the emotions) Changeling are likey to eat meat than plant but are ommivore and Have Great Memory that most pony and most normal griffen(Shaman(Tengi-equse) and goði(germanic-equse) are Region mages and Seiðr for secular mage) However In my Story, Pan-Nationalism kick to overdrive reunite changeling into imperium of old and Kick some Major Pony ass(WWI Style as well)

(My Changeling are mix Japanese,German,English,chinese, original(I made) culture and one oldest civilized race on equis other than Griffin(which second oldest but like Babylon and Egypt does it really matter)

3975869 *gouh gouh* I do.

3976737 Could I have a link?

I think just as in real life some countries are democracies and good to live in, some are horrible dictatorships and some are in the middle, so it is with the Changelings and indeed their societies. Some , like the Hive of Queen Chrysalis, may be quite Spartan and military oriented, others may be more peaceful, but all the Hives will have their own stories and tales, songs and ideals of beauty. It probably depends on the Queen what the culture is. Given that the Changeling Way involves staying undercover, their stories, tales, architecture and the like are very much for changelings alone.

I never gotten made but It been idea for my head for some time now... unless you want help me edit or something

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16