Chrylight is Alright 834 members · 139 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

I want to give you guys the chance to justify and show your creativity concerning the Hive Mind and Hive theory.

First of all let me tell you this... As far as canon goes I will agree with Magic Man for the most part that the changelings have neither hive mind nor hives. Hell I have even found out where the changelings are! Here it says that the gates to the Changeling Kingdom are south through the Appaloosan Mountain range and then on through the forest of Leota.
http://imgur.com/a/4HS8w#1 http://imgur.com/a/4HS8w#22 Another map... Hmmmm seems awfully close to where the battle with Discord took place. Wait... wasn't that in Ponyville? *scartches head* Whatever!

I'll tell you this much. When writers use the Hive Mind for me it's a sign of unoriginality, lack of inspiration, and plain ol laziness. In all sincerity I have seen it used a GAZZILION times over and it plain ol pisses me off. None bothers to explain their shit when they say "Hive Mind". I also don't like the way people see it as a race-wide propaganda of sorts because they see it like god's voice and god's voice is the voice of religion which is nothing sort of propaganda right? Whatever...

it's the same thing with Celestia being a tyrant because a singular leader is inherently bad/corrupt and the guidance/advice/whatever of the Queen of the changelings can't be anything but bad!

Although this video fails at spots here's a reason why your assumption of tyrant Celestia fails miserably upon its' feet. Because unless you establish it in your story how she is a tyrant just plain assuming by the way a system works that Celestia is a tyrant is bad. Same shit goes for the changelings. Just because you think that the Hivemind is bad because of the way it is structured doesn't mean that is true or that there aren't any benefits from this, or that free will is restricted.

Another misconception or assumption I dislike is treating the Hivemind like an instant online chatroom. Sometimes if you handle it properly it can work, and especially in comedic purposes but this is overestimating this characteristic of the changelings. I quite dislike how we generally use the hivemind like a wokey-tokey/radio of sorts. It just sounds RIDICULOUS.

The thing is that even when someone explains it they don't deviate from the "bee-zerg" concept. Especially when it comes to the zerg I am inserting the Ultimate NOOOOOO compilation. Like seriously... it might sound cool to have changelings with mutations and stuff, and if you can pull it off you're welcome but don't tell me you are being original in your concepts if you do that.

It seems we lack writers that actually perceive changelings as natural people meaning that they don't differ all that much from ponies in mentality. And who's responsible for all that? Plain Ol tyrant Chrysalis. Yea... let me just say that Tyrant comes from the Greek work that actually meant "The one who has all the political power" loosely translated. I am greek, I should know.

Another thing... the "cut the head of the hive/cut the hivemind link and the whole "swarm" goes down". Yea... why? And no... this is treating the changelings in a derogatory perspective saying that essentially they aren't able to function as individuals or that just by killing a leader a whole nation will go instantly in dissarray. Well let me tell you this people... did Commander Shepard go and kill the leader of the Reapers to win? Is there no contigency in modern society for the transition between leader to leader? Granted it might not be effective but notions like "Without a Queen/Hive mind the changelings would forever squabble and be in disarray" is plain ridiculous and underestimates the capabilities of changelings that can work as individuals. This goes to the point where a changeling without a hivemind is a purposeless individual

I personally view this bond as kind of a family/friend thing. Changelings who are born of blood can link themselves with each other and perceive general emotions, if focused enough location maybe. It is a bond that can be performed with others, can be cut off and connection can be permanently severed. It is a way to judge the ability to also lead combined with physical and mental prowess. The greater the ability to perform such bonds the more the chance to rise in the ranks of changeling hierarchy. This goes up to the Queen who's empathy and ability to communicate with the changelings is judged. The crown itself becomes a holy relic through which ancient rulers grant the ability to communicate for a limited time with all the changelings to form a concesus on matters of great importance. Like war.

Now this is the rough explanation so I can't say it's as detailed as I would want it to be. But this is not entirely about me. It's about you. I want you to show me your creativity your originality and your ability to deviate even the slightest from common fanon. So here come my questions.

How do changelings use the hivemind?
How does it work with the body?
What are the benefits?
The drawbacks?
What can it do?
What can't it do?
Is it easy to use?
How did it get developped?
How is it used?
What does the Queen have to do with it?
How does it help changeling society?
Can changeling society function without it?

I could ask more but you know the drill... you are the creators so you explain it. I might just explain mine as well.

3919562 I actually use it as less as 'only the queen has will' or 'online chatroom', but more as 'every changeling as a cellphone in their heads'. Really, it's all a matter of headcanon vs headcanon.

One important thing to note is when the changelings used their critically-failing plan to take the form of the mane 6 to confuse them, they couldn't distinguish between each other.

3919569 Which puts the doubt about it even existing. Which begs the question... how does it work with the body? How precise or powerful is it? How did it get developped? The questions are there.

I only ever use it if the situation calls for it (i.e. it is funny)

I like to imagine that there is no hive mind - but members of the changeling race identify themselves as being in a hive for cultural reasons. It's a matter of semantics, but I'm not letting go of the idea of a changeling hive, no matter what. Though I'd like to note that since I watch the show to supplement fanfiction rather than treat the show as an end to itself, I don't really even consider this a headcanon so much as an idea. I haven't elaborated on my ideas that much, since the story I'm currently procrastinating has nothing to do with changelings.
Also, I have absolutely no qualms with authors using genuine hive minds - or even just some form of collective consciousness - in their stories. It is not necessarily a sign of laziness, and even when it is that laziness could be because the changeling structure isn't important to the story, and spending too much time on it would be detrimental to the story as a whole.

That said, if I were to make a story with a collective, my answers to your questions would be:
1: It's basically a stronger form of ponykind's empathic bond/collective unconscious (my current idea, btw, which loosely explains heartsongs and ponykind's instinctive trust towards each other and especially alicorns. It also explains, sort of, how changelings eat emotions (they sort of 'steal' part of a pony's connection to the collective unconscious, with love being a weak point - and the steal energy from it)) - changelings are very sensitive to each others' emotions, and the queen projects her emotions with much more power/control than other 'lings.
2: idk. Magic. It seems unimportant, nd I don't see why it would do anything at all.
3: Changelings are, naturally, very close to each other. They're sensitive to each other, and understand each other extremely well.
4: Being so close to each other makes it hard for changelings to understand ponies, even when connected to their emptions, becuse the pony collective is so weak compared to changelings. It's not impossible for them to feel empathy for ponies, but changelings often have to make a conscious effort.
I'll answer the others later.

3921217 As in?

3925659 I have no problem with hiveminds either. It's just that it is used as a staple thing. I mean they use it like "HEY WE ARE TALKING IN THE HIVEMIND!" and according to them the audience is like "OH I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING NOW!"... See what I mean?

Well, I rarely use the hivemind thing unless it is for comical purposes, i.e. I am attempting to exaggerate the alienness of the changelings vs ponies. In fact, most of the stories I have written that involve changelings have some aspect of them turned alien, or very foreign to pony mindset. I think the only time I have used the hive mind idea was in the 50th special of the Twisalis collab, where the hive was a separate entity to chrysalis, and they were dating. (see chapter 50, Tainted Love - search for Anonymoose)

Beyond that, I am not really one for the whole hive mind thing, at least in my own writings. Individuality is far more fun to play with.

3975316 Oh yeah i remember you! Hey I am participating in it too!

Here's my stab at this:

1) How do changelings use the hivemind?
It is something that they use to give themselves an advantage in combat. It allows the Queen to "control" the rest of the changelings by directing them based on the information she is getting from them.

2) How does it work with the body?
It is linked to their magic ability and uses their magic reserves.

3) What are the benefits?
Quicker response times, allows them to overtake enemies exceptionally quickly. (i.e. how they were able to secure Canterlot so quickly.)

4) The drawbacks?
Very taxing to maintain, can't be used constantly. The longer the connections remain open, the weaker the changelings get. After several hours of use, the average changeling would pass out on the spot.

5) What can it do?
It's basic ability allows thought communication between changelings. On a larger scale, the Queen can "Take Control" of the hivemind and by connecting with specific changelings, can even get visual information. This is useful for scouting out new areas, threats, or enemies.

6) What can't it do?
It can't be used to physically control changelings.

7) Is it easy to use?
It's an inborn ability for all changelings.

8) How did it get developped?
It is a natural development, allowing them to survive in harsh environments. They are able to deal with threats to the hive quicker because the link is almost instant regardless of distance.

9) How is it used?
This is the same question as #1:trollestia:

10) What does the Queen have to do with it?
When the Queen takes control of the hivemind, she basically acts as the control center for the hivemind. She connects to all changelings currently using the hivemind and uses information from them to assess situations and make decisions at the speed of thought. This makes the changeling army a formidable foe, even against superior opponents. Their response and reaction times would make it seem as though they are just smaller pieces of one big entity.

11) How does it help changeling society?
For everyday life, it is a convenience, allowing changelings to communicate with each others who aren't nearby. Also allows family members to communicate with each other when one is away from the hive.

12) Can changeling society function without it?
Yes

TL;DR
The hivemind gives the Changelings a huge advantage in combat by allowing quick, silent communication among themselves, allowing for faster response times. When the Queen takes charge of the hivemind during these times, it's basically like hooking up a super computer to all of your defensive/offensive systems. She can process all the information coming in much faster than the regular changelings and can use this ability to control the battle, moving reinforcements around and focusing on major threats.

The hivemind is very taxing on Changelings, however, and they cannot keep it in constant use for more than a few hours before exhaustion overtakes them (including the Queen). This is why the changelings favor stealth and espionage, allowing them to gain as much information as possible, so when they do attack, they can end the battle quickly and with as few losses as possible.

In everyday life, the Changelings use the hivemind as a convenience item, allowing them to talk to those who aren't nearby. It also allows Changelings to keep in contact with their families while they are away from the hive.

Hope I'm not confusing anyling too much :twilightblush:

3979462 Thanks for the explanations and I'd love to talk to you more if you wish I'm dionysiosbbbb in skype. I also do pms.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10