The New Octavus Madhouse 22 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Valrek777
Group Admin

As the title says, my brain's left side is dominating at this point. Thus, as many people have told me before, makes me seem very analytical, logical, smart-sounding, and seemingly emotionless.

I do not know what causes this phenomenon in me, but it happens periodically. At certain times, I am primarily creative, and so I draw, write stories, and have a vast amount of fun. But in this state, I enjoy researching, teaching, and doing other activities that exercise the logical side of my brain. For example, I do math for fun. I sometimes figure out equations for interstellar travel, develop technological theories, and other things of the sort.

So while my mind is operating in this fashion, I will now teach you about a few subjects I have been researching lately.

I believe a few of you have already heard my recent discoveries on neutron stars, so I shall separate it for your aesthetic pleasure. More moments of logic shall be posted in this thread, if you wish. I am just using it to pass the time.

A neutron star is a very rare phenomenon that occurs, as you guessed, in space. Now, the neutron star isn't your average star. It is actually the remnant of a dead star- which has gone supernova. When the supernova released, it then collapsed on itself. This compressed a massive quantity of matter into a very, very small space. On average, 500,000 times the mass of the Earth is pressed into a sphere roughly the size of the city of Brooklyn(18 miles, or 28.9 km). To put this into perspective, a piece of a neutron star about the size of a sugar cube would weigh more than all of the water in the Great Lakes of the USA.
Now, with all of this mass comes a titanic amount of gravity. The gravity of a neutron star is so strong that if you fall from 1 meter(~3 feet), you will accelerate to about 2,000 km(1242 miles) per second in about 1 millisecond. If you did fall this hard on the star, you will hit the surface so hard that you will be torn apart at an atomic level, making your matter the same as the star. You will, essentially, become 'one' with the star.

Post finished at 1:30 AM US eastern time, December 30, 2012.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1