Austraeoh 773 members · 31 stories
Comments ( 148 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 148
Sinrar
Group Contributor

STANDARD VERSION
INTERACTIVE VERSION (thanks to Fourths)

So, most of the lineart is done now. I'm pretty happy with it, even though I had to wing it from time to time.
Some of the locations are off-map, though; but it couldn't be helped.
Feel free to tell me how bad and awful it is, and remember to ask any questions you might have or point out what you think is missing/missplaced.

Have some soundtrack to help you with it.

~Sinrar

EDIT: 18/05/15 - latest edit yet, Continents of book I-IV are done with, Book V started.
EDIT²: 29/06/15 - Books I-VI done. Editing stuff and waiting for Book VII to be done.
EDIT^3: 09/11/15 - Book VII added to the mix. Waiting for Book VIII and/or possible stuff I forgot to add.
EDIT^4ths: 26/12/17 - Jesus Christ it took a while, sorry ;~;

Swan Song
Group Contributor

Holy shit.

Zaid ValRoa
Group Contributor

Astounding.
I assume you still haven't mapped the Grand Choke and the subsequent sea yet, but it's looking great so far, Sinry.
Good job.

As eloquent as always, I see. :ajsmug:

Swan Song
Group Contributor

Yeah, this is kinda magical. I'm very curious what your plans are for coloring/shading, and what stylistic approach you'll be taking.

Arcshod
Group Contributor

Only thing I see that raises some issue is the strip of flurries being located in the south, as opposed to up north near the skystone fields. If memory serves, they crossed the frozen sea to the north as a shortcut to bypass Xona. The final conflict over Stratopolis was right at the world's northern edge.

durandana
Group Contributor

Amazing. Missing a few details (the ravine between Darkstine and Silvadel), but still dang impressive.

I'll need some labels too because I totally don't remember any of the locations from Odrsjot, ha

RoboRed
Group Contributor

Holy damn, dude....good job.:rainbowderp:

I know it's still a WIP, but fukkin' saved.

Shipmun
Group Contributor

I'm gonna need some labels :derpyderp1:

Outstanding work in progress!

remnants
Group Contributor

That looks amazing!

Sypher
Group Contributor

That looks amazing. Can't wait to see how it progresses!

Swan Song
Group Contributor

...Umm... so I decided to try my hand at coloring for the first time...

I'M SO SORRY AWESOME CARTOGRAPHER SENPAI

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT COLORING

OR LABELING MAPS FOR THAT MATTER

I'M JUST PLAYING AROUND AND EXPERIMENTING

IF YOU WERE PLANNING ON COLORING/LABELING IT YOURSELF PLEASE IGNORE ME

durandana
Group Contributor
Leftover of Saikano
Group Contributor

It's great. It's the kind of thing I have no talent for.

Sam the Anti-Ninja
Group Contributor

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar and I salute you.

Seriously, this is amazeriffic.

PropMaster
Group Contributor

4164644 This is one of the coolest non-character-based art pieces I've seen for this story. Well done!

Nevlamas
Group Contributor

Pile on the upvotes!

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4164792 I'll add it eventually, but I'm waiting 'till it's done with and I've taken some more notes to try my hand at it. Also, Sinry, heh.

4164838 Ah, yeah. I wasn't sure about that one. To be honest, I'll probably redo the strip, 'cause it looks less like clouds and more like an embarassing case of the taffy.

4164859 Labels will come, but I gotta redo some things and figure out the coloring first.

4165159 That's pretty amazing actually. I'm not sure I'll do as good as that. :pinkiegasp:
As for what I'm planning, I'm going to try to do something close to the official Equestria map in terms of coloring, with light shading.
I really dig the Duke Floyd thing, though. I may steal that. :heart:

4164778 4164872 4165079 4165096 4165114 4165227 4165308 4165888 4166110 Thanks! I was kinda worried that it wouldn't meet quality standards. :ajsleepy:

RoboRed
Group Contributor

[mansqueeing intensifies]

Endrax
Group Contributor

Holy crap, this is awesome! I sure as hell wasn't expecting a proper fantasy style map when I clicked on the link. I really hope you continue this!

remnants
Group Contributor

4165159:pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp: That. is. so. freaking. Awesome!

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4166386 Thanks!
Also, I'm going to continue it, yeah. T'd be a shame to give up after all the hours I spent on it. :ajsleepy:

Zaid ValRoa
Group Contributor

I blame the comment section for the habit of giving everyone a diminutive nickname. I can't stop now.
Anyway. Keep up the good work.

If this is the kind of stuff that keeps you away from the TGoM, then I approve. :ajsmug:

Arcshod
Group Contributor

For the continent of Ledomare/Xona, it may be worth it to actually make a separate detail map, given the spacial arrangement of Blue Shelf, Blue Nova, Grey Slope (is that right?), Joshoville, Foxtaur, Searo, Crystal Pony Farm Place, the Warzone, Levitating Spacerock Fortress, Franzington, Archer Point, Lerris, Xona etc. Not to mention that the Frozen Sea, Abinadi, Pegasexcrater and Val Roa are much more toward the North compared to most of it (in particular the frozen sea starts directly north of Xona), so it may be necessary to have Ledomare somewhat off the map, despite the fact that we spent three full books there.

Nevlamas
Group Contributor

4166266 It is to be said though, the map being signed by his name would raise the question why no one ever figured it out. :P

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4166847 Lol. Won't be the first time somebody gave me a nickname. At least it's better than Sin or Winrar, heh. :twilightoops:

4166872 Hm. Yeah, I see what you mean. But I don't think I have the strength to scrap half of the map and redo it. :ajsleepy:
So... yeah. I guess my only defense is that it's not a canon map. Sorry.
Also I think Joshoville is Green Slope. Grey Slope I dunno.

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4166986 Lol. I was thinking that right after posting the comment. One could even wonder how Val Roa would even know of Equestria and Stratopolis and PegCraters if it was Floyd's, too.

Arcshod
Group Contributor

4167004 I think the facility where Nightshade had the foals was Grey Slope or Blue Slope or Grey Shelf or something. Or maybe one of those places was the facility where Shell had Imre working on things before she met Roarke. Ledomulien names are terrible. If I were Queen Lux, I would make my first act in service of the people to change all of them to something better.

Sypher
Group Contributor
Sinrar
Group Contributor

4167111 Well, not so much awful as they are unbelievably bland. It's like Paris was called Tower City.
The real problem I had with these names is that it felt like RD and Co were fighting their way through a giant furniture store.

Arcshod
Group Contributor

4167286 So, clearly Queen Lux's first act should be to rename them all in Horse Swedish?

Sinrar
Group Contributor

"And we doth say, thy village shall henceforth be named Karl."
"W-what? But... your highness..."
"KARL!"
"Y-yes, of course, your highness!"
"Huzzah! Now, we shall rename Green Slope Kivik!"

Instant headcanon. Sorry for the terrible Shakespearian.

Swan Song
Group Contributor

4166266 Dude, steal all the anythings. :pinkiehappy:
4166847 This is me procrastinating at work.
4166872 Noh. I like there being one big unbroken map. Is pretty. Fuck the Imploding Canon.
4166986 4167018 One could say that this was something Floydien had commissioned years later, when trade routes had been established between all the major civilizations.
4167004 Sinrawwwr~ :duck:
4167111 The foals were kept in Nightshade Industries HQ in Blue Nova. Their parents were kept in Deep Ridge. Imre used to work at Pale Shelf.

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4167707 Yay! Gotta love how you replied at the exact moment I opened fimfic again to check. :pinkiegasp:
About the Flyod thing, that's actually a very good point you make.
And yes. Most rawr indeed.

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4164778 4164792 4164838 4164859 4165227 4165308 4165888 4166110 4166386
Mapped the Grand Choke! Here.
Just wanted to put it there so you all could remind me of all the things I've awfully left behind, so that I'll correct the lineart before starting the lenghty coloring process. Also, tell me what you think of the canyon thingie.
Once again, thanks for the support. The weak-willed pansy I am wouldn't even have gone that far without you peeps.
Music to help.

Sam the Anti-Ninja
Group Contributor

4199848 Seems pretty legit. And don't worry too much; you've got more guts and talent for this than most.:pinkiehappy:

Swan Song
Group Contributor

4199848 I strongly suggest an annotation pass prior to coloring. Right now, since there's no color, it's more difficult for us to distinguish specific features, so it's harder to make suggestions regarding what's good and what's missing. If you annotate the map with labels that point out all the identifiable features (cities, outposts, towns, landmarks, geographical features, even regions and such), we can use that to help you figure out what's good, what's missing, and what might need moving around. Stuff like that probably won't be as easy to fix if you've already done your coloring. :derpytongue2:

It might also be worth it to wait a bit to see what lies on the other side of the Choke, too. We still haven't seen the entire light side of the world yet. Though I'm starting to doubt we'll even overcome it within Yaerfaerda's timeframe... :facehoof:

Out of curiosity, will you be coloring on a separate layer?

Zaid ValRoa
Group Contributor

It's looking pretty interesting. We'll just have to wait to see how IC resolves the end of the plane, and whatever awaits us there.

Though I'm starting to doubt we'll even overcome it within Yaerfaerda's timeframe...

That's so adorable. :pinkiesmile:

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4200475 I could use to do an annotation pass, yeah. Though I'll need to see if Gimp can work with invisible backgrounds, 'cause if not you'll have to content yourself with my terrible handwriting, due to my original artsing software being very basic and limited when it comes to adding text n' all.
Also, I'm not expecting to finish the map before book 7 starts. Coloring will be much faster than lineart, but with all the edits and corrections I'm bound to make, and the little extras, and the other stuff I'm working on, it'll take at least a month.
And yes. I'll be coloring and (possibly shading too) on separate layers. I'll probably make the uncolored, transparent .png file available for anyone who wants to color it themselves, too.

4201312 The Grand Choke was pretty hard to map (and I still need to change some stuff about it) due to how unusual its geography is. Especially the damn canyons. And yes. I doubt it'll only be water until the Other Side. Wait and see is a must.

4200340 Heheh. I'll try not to disappoint, then.

Austraeoh Fact Checker
Group Contributor

If you annotate the map with labels that point out all the identifiable features, we can use that to help you figure out what's good, what's missing, and what might need moving around.

I can help with that

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4200475 4208582 4201312 4200340
Annotation pass done! Find it here.
Do your worst. I'm sure there's a bazillion things I've missed.
Poor RD's been all over this world.

Zaid ValRoa
Group Contributor

This stood out to me.
Is it really called that in the story?

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4209523 I don't think there's a name for this. It just seemed logical that there'd be a no man's land in the middle of a total war zone, especially since Seclorum's been holding the line for a while. It's more or less a trench war at this point.
Can change it to no pony's land, if you think that'd fit better. Or scrap it, if you think it's useless.

Zaid ValRoa
Group Contributor

Oh, right.
I was mostly referring to the use of "man", but that's a nitpicky thing.
Something else that I wondered was the proportions of the Strip of Flurries. I feel it should be a bit bigger, but I'd have to re-read Uroh to make sure.

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4209595 I understand. I hesitated, but I figured that I'd put the standard term. I'll change it if it bothers people, though.
And heh. Proportions are kinda wonky. I do need to chage some stuff to it, though. And it's definitely continuing under the edge of the map, too.
I do need to change stuff about it, though.

YoshiFawful64
Group Contributor

This is looking more and more amazing awesome with every update! I do have a few nitpicks, though:
–I think the distance between Equestria and Wintergate was much longer. Rainbow's chat with Luna in Windthrow seems to imply they've talked through the pendant before, so that's at least a month of travel.
–The twin peaks Dash passed through near the beginning of Austraeoh would be a nice touch.
–Green Slope and some of the villages near Val Roa seem to be missing.

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4210968 Yeah. Distances are a bit meh. Sadly, it'd imply entirely redrawing Equestria, thanks to my cheap software. So I don't think I can do anything for that one.
I'll look about adding the twin peaks. As for Green Slope, I completely forgot to add it. Shame on me. For those Val Roan villages, could you please list them? I only added in the ones listed on the wiki.
Thanks for the help. :twilightsmile:

YoshiFawful64
Group Contributor

From Yaerfaerda, chapter 1:

Tell all of your fellow Bandits—Zeezrom is off limits! Mosiah is off limits! Amulek is off limits!

I guess Mosiah is actually the only one missing. Funny, I thought there was one more.
And it's no problem. I look forward to the day this is finished!

Sinrar
Group Contributor

4211614 Oh, right. I'll need to add it, then.
And heh. I look forward to that, too. As much as I like working on that map, that's the kinda stuff you definitely enjoy more once it's done.

Arcanist Ascendant
Group Contributor

how the shit did I miss this post

cloudyjhi
Group Contributor

Well crap
I know I was in over my head with over 700 chapters in this story, but Jesus
That's a whole lot of east you got there

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 148