Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

Has anyone ever seen any mostly or completely negative reviews of the Pony POV Series? If so then where can I find them? They don't have to be mean or anything.

Alex Warlorn
Group Admin

Well, someone did post the earlier seasons on Rage Reviews, but no one seemed to write a negative review in respond.

Most were generic and brief 'this story sucks' on random message board. There was a comment during Dark World that spectrally missed the point of Dark World Twilight's character growth and her becoming an Alicorn.

Not so much a review, but I did run into a forum where some posters did bash POV for being "convoluted and stupidly complicated". They mentioned Shining Armor's arc in particular, but I have no details.

Alex Warlorn
Group Admin

One person had this to say.
"You know, I often thought about writing about why I didn't like the POV series after I gave up on it, but I could never quite put my dislike into words and I eventually realized that most of my problems with it were simply things I just didn't like rather than any actual criticism of the fic's quality. Plus, I figured it would've just stirred shit up and I didn't want to do that."

To be fair, I don't think many people are inclined to stick with a story they don't like for over 2 million words. I wonder how many current fans (1) have actually read all of it and (2) did so all at once rather than starting early and reading chapters as they came out.

Personally, I'd like to read it just because it's so (apparently) famous and influential in the fanfic and fanart world (assuming that that's not just hype). But I'm not sure it'll be worth it. I've made false starts at both Discorded Ponies and Silver Spoon/Diamond Tiara, and neither exactly opened promisingly.

Have you tried visiting /mlp/ incognito and asking opinions in the Fimfiction thread they usually have?

If I can make a suggestion, the audio adaptation is a great way to get into the series. (I speak from experience)

Maybe, but I have a pretty long listening queue. Also, there doesn't seem to be audio of all the prequels and side stories; so if I wanted to stay chronological I'd still have to read Silver Spoon/Diamond Tiara before listening to Discorded Ponies, and so on. Thanks for the reminder, though.

You don't have to read things chronologically, it's actually best (With a few exceptions) to read things in the order they're published.

Sounds like a lot of work, especially when the original publication dates are all on Deviantart. And in any case there's already a thread about story order.

Speaking of /mlp/: the series came up in https://yuki.la/mlp/29556586#p29577139 (search for "POV").

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10