• Published 19th Mar 2013
  • 5,549 Views, 100 Comments

Chocolate Cake Shots, and Other Things You Discover in College - Flutterguy89



Follow the Mane 6 as they are re-imagined as human freshmen at Celestia College.

  • ...
8
 100
 5,549

Prologue: Move-in Day

Prologue: Move-in Day

RD sat on a little wooden bench outside what could ostensibly be called her 'new home,' the grand and glorious Celestia College, the premier private college of middle of nowhere Equestria. She took drag from her cigarette, gazing over her shoulder at the three-story red brick dorm building. 'Not so bad I suppose,' RD thought to herself, 'I mean the rooms are cramped as shit, the walls are whitewashed cinderblock, the town out there is full of backward hicks, and there is no air conditioning. But at least... No wait, this sucks.'

She ran her free hand through her scruffy, short prismatic hair, puffed out a sigh, and returned to her current favorite pastime: watch the other freshman lug boxes up the sidewalk and into the dorms. There were some kids escorted by their parents, some of whom were half-bawling at the already blooming homesickness, others were trying desperately to walk just far enough away from their folks so that maybe someone might possibly think they weren't together. Other students, like RD, had driven up to school on their lonesome and always seemed to be grumbling at the number of boxes that they still had in their trunks.

'Suckers. Should have gotten here early,' RD thought with a feeling of satisfaction. She had moved in long before the crowds of her peers had descended upon the building, which had made the whole process all the easier. In fact the only reason she was now outside indulging her nicotine habit was that she had already unpacked her things, shoved her clothes roughly into her dresser, arranged her stereo on the desk, and duct taped posters to the walls of her side of the room. Her room only lacked one thing, her roommate.

She stubbed out her finished cig and pondered what she could expect from her mystery roomie. She didn't really have much to go on aided from the sign on the door of her room that announced that names of the occupants as "Rainbow Dash" and "Rarity". Upon seeing that her proper name was listed on the door a livid RD had promptly taken a sharpie out and added "Call me this and DIE ~ RD."Its not that she hated her name, but during her years in high school the name Rainbow hadn't done her many favors. In fact it only seemed to get her into more trouble, the kind of trouble that usually resulted in her father offering to pay one of Rainbow Dash's classmate's hospital bills.'Well... If I didn't want any trouble I could always stop dying my hair,' she thought chuckling to herself. 'Admit it, you just like busting those ignorant jackasses' skulls.' Her features then fell almost imperceptibly. 'Besides... A promise is a promise.'

She pulled herself away from her memories and returned to the issue of her mystery roommate once again. 'Since when has anyone lame ever been named Rarity, right? It mean's one of a kind, so I bet this Rarity is totally just like me, awesome and unique. I mean they had us fill out those personality tests to determine our roomies, no way they just chucked 'em in the trash.'

Just then her contemplation was interrupted by the crash of cascading books and a frustrated growl. RD turned her attention to the source of the commotion, which turned out to be a girl who seemed to be determined to carry the contents of a small library with her into the dorm and was having about as much trouble as one might expect.

" Need a hand there?" RD said, rising from her spot on the bench and making her way over to the girl. Despite having completing the process of moving on her own, RD felt for the clearly frazzled girl.

She looked up at RD and nodded appreciatively. She had dark hair that had been pulled back into a ponytail that left her bangs hanging over her forehead. She was dressed in a simple dark purple top she had likely picked out without too much thought from her local department store, a pair of dark wash jeans, and sneakers. "Thank you so much, I just wasn't sure what to do, I mean I couldn't leave all of these at home, I might need them. Oh and um, my name's Twilight Sparkle, but uh most people just call me Twilight, and thanks again."

It was then, as RD kneeled over to help her, that she realized all of the books that Twilight had dropped were...

"Textbooks?" Rainbow Dash stated incredulously. "You know we haven't even registered for classes yet, where did you even get all of these?"

"Oh, well, they're my private collection. I never really can see the use if studying just one, each author has their own spin on the same subject you see. How on earth could I possibly be the best student I could be without bringing them with me?" Twilight asked to a stunned RD.

"Uh... Right." She managed to say, regaining her former friendly demeanor. "Well what floor are you on?"

"Third floor, but you don't have to-" Twilight began with a polite smile.

"Don't worry about it, besides if you couldn't handle the sidewalk how the hell are you gonna get these up the stairs?"

"I suppose you're right." Twilight replied with an embarrassed blush as she and RD each gathered up roughly half the books.

"Name's RD, in case you were wondering, and yes it stands for something, and no I don't feel like telling you right now," RD said, softening her harsh response with a grin. "And before you ask," she added with a waggle of her eyebrows, "the carpet does not match the drapes."

Twilight's face glowed scarlet. " I... Uh... Wasn't gonna..." She managed to stammer.

RD had erupted into fits of laughter "Oh man, you should see the look on your face," Dash managed, finally.

Twilight averted her gaze, feeling embarrassed and a bit hurt.

"Oh come on Twi, I was just messing with you," RD said as she held open the door to the stairwell, masterfully balancing her stack of book in one hand. "Look, I'm real sorry if I stepped on your feelings. It's just a joke I use to break the ice." A thought crossed her mind, " Friends?"

Twilight immediately brightened up,"R-really? I mean I always had trouble making friends in high school cause I was always studying and reading and... really?"

" Sure, why not?" RD said feeling a good natured smile creep across her face as they made their way up the flights of stairs, " I mean you seem cool enough, with the whole egghead thing you got going on. Just don't be surprised if I ask you for some homework advice."

"No problemo" Twilight chirped happily as they reach the landing for the second floor, all ill will forgotten.

"So, met your roommate yet?" RD asked as Twilight took the lead in order to show her the way to her room.

"Roommates, plural." Twilight corrected, "I'm sharing a triple with two other girls, Pinkie Pie and Applejack. They are quite, uh, nice too. You'll meet them in a sec." She added as she stopped in front the door to her room.

Twilight opened the door and the two were immediately rushed inside by what appeared to be a violently pink tornado.

"Oh my god, oh my god, look Twilight you made a friend! This is so cool! That makes her my friend too, I called it! Which means she has to come to the party, did I mention I'm going to throw us a party? Oh but when will I have the party, and what should the theme be. It could be pirates, or no wait, yes, no, yes, maybe. Well anyway we are having one and, Twilight's friend, you are coming and Twilight has to cause its going to be right here!" The tornado turned out to be a somewhat short girl with frizzy brown hair that hung down to her shoulders who was now gasping for breath, yet looked no less excited. She was dressed in bright pink tunic and hot-pink skinny jeans, which would have likely made anyone with an eye for fashion have a seizure.

RD took the brief moment of calm to glance around the room, on the left was a set of bunk beds, the top bunk adorned with a hot-pink set of sheets (Rainbow could guess who those belonged to) and a set of sensible navy blue sheets on the bottom bunk. Next to this was a bookcase which was pushed against the wall and patiently awaiting the haul of books. In the center of the room was a set of desks pushed back to back, forming a little island. Along the back wall was a beat up futon that seemed like it may have just been rescued from a back alley, as well as a glass-paned door which led to a small balcony. On the right side of the room was a single bed which stood alone, slightly raised up and decked out with plaid sheets and what looked like a hand made quilt (RD could hear the humming chorus of mini-fridges underneath).

This last bed, unlike the others, had an occupant. She wore a red plaid western-shirt, blue jeans, and a long braided blonde ponytail that flowed from the back of Stetson hat. She made RD think of a female Malboro Man. The cowgirl was laying back comfortably against the wall, with arms crossed behind her head, still sniggering at the stunned look RD had had on her face. 'Turnabout is fair play, I guess,' RD thought to herself as she recovered her disposition.

"Name's Applejack," the girl drawled out with a twang, " an' the little pink bundle 'o energy is Pinkie Pie, since she didn't give you a proper introduction. Nice ta meet ya...."

" RD," the rainbow-headed girl finished. "Nice hat you got there," She added as she and Twilight made their way to the bookcase. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a closet that presumably held the trio's dressers.

"Thank ya kindly," she said smirking as she tilted up the brim in a little salute, "Nice hair you got on you."

"I know!" Chimed in Pinkie, who seemed to have caught her breath and was ready for round two. " I mean look at it, it's like a rainbow! And oooooh! She has piercings!"

Pinkie began to hover around RD as she shelved the books. " Look at this one here on her eyebrow, and here in this ear she's got an industrial bar," Pinkie said popping up on Dash's right. "And in the other there are these three awesome little studs in the cartilage!"

"Uh... Yeah, thanks for the exposition," Twilight said in a failed to hint to Pinkie that she might be crowding their guest. Rainbow did feel a bit odd at Pinkie's examination, but was unable to keep the little pink fiend's good mood and energy from infecting her.

"There was something else I was going to say... I know there was, it was important too, I mean it wouldn't save your life, not that important, but it was good I swear." Pinkie said with a suddenly ponderous look on her features.

RD couldn't believe Pinkie could have forgotten to say anything that had crossed her mind. "I'm sure it will come to you," she said in an attempt to assuage her.

"Pinkie, maybe we should let RD be,for a bit at least...." Twilight added tentatively, not wanting to scare off her new friend.

"Oh! I got it!" She said sidling up to RD with all the seriousness she could muster, " Does the carpet match the drapes?"

The room exploded with laughter

----------------------

After an hour or so of chatting with her new friends and a smoke break on the balcony with Applejack (who, true to form, smoked Marlboro Reds), RD decided she should probably go check on her room to see if her roommate had yet arrived.

"See you guys later," she called over her shoulder as she exited the girls' room, "if you ever need me, my room's at the other end of the hall, same floor."

She smiled to herself as she made her way to her room. ' Okay so maybe this really won't be so bad, at least I have some cool new friends'

As she walked down the hall, she became lost in thought, hoping that her roomie would be as cool as Twi, AJ, or Pinkie. With her eyes half closed and her head in the clouds, she missed the startled squeak of a girl with long pale pink hair who quickly hid behind the door to her room. The shy girl couldn't help but timidly watch the prismatic-haired girl walk down the hall. There was only one name on her door: Fluttershy.

As RD reached her door she began to feel like she was being watched, but when she turned around there
was no one there, just the sound of a hastily closed door. 'Weird....'

"Oh well" she spoke aloud to herself as she opened the door to her room. She could hear someone inside. 'Time to meet Rarity.'

The sight that met her eyes stopped her dead in her tracks. While her half of the room remained exactly the way she had left it, the other half looked as though it had been imported from a some sort of castle estate. There was a solid wood, intricately carved headboard in place of the shitty bed frame the school provided, complete with posh mattress and covers. There was also a replacement bookshelf, desk and set of drawers, and rather than hanging posters over the cinderblock walls as RD had done, there were swaths of fabric hanging from the ceiling to the floor. This gave the room a much warmer feeling, and also made it seem like, to Dash's mind at least, that it was a curtain behind which a stage was hidden.

RD stood mouth agape for what felt like a solid minute before she registered that her roommate was also there. Rarity, who had looked up from putting away her clothes to observe her roommate, then broke the silence. "How do you do, my name is Rarity, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," she said with a polite smile and a posh accent.

RD was still dumbstruck as she took in the impeccable appearance of her roommate whose hair was meticulously styled, straightened and then curled. Not to mention her outfit, though functional, looked as though it had been designed for the runway.

"Yes it's nice isn't it, I made it myself. You know, I could make you some new clothes too." She added with a bit of a disdainful look at the beat up jeans, olive drab jacket, combat boots and t-shirt that made up RD's ensemble.

RD's eye began to twitch as anger began to replace her dazed demeanor. 'No one insults the duds...'

"Not that the whole, punk-chic thing isn't totally you or anything," She hastily added noticing the ire that had crept into her roomie's gaze. "You know, Despite this rough start, I think we will be the best of friends, Ms. Rainbow Dash," Rarity added innocently.

'It's gonna be a long semester....'

Author's Note:

So hello all, it's your friendly neighborhood author-guy.
So this is my first fanfic. Actually this is the first stab at fiction I've ever really made, do please comment comment comment!
Hope everyone will enjoy the ride I have planned!