• Published 19th Jan 2017
  • 616 Views, 0 Comments

Story of Diane Pie: Family Ties - Middle Ground



Now Diane faces the biggest challenge ever: Re-uniting her 'real' family.

  • ...
 0
 616

Chapter 4 - Marble Pie

After yesterday, Limestone and I were both very tired. So we were the first ones to go to bed after dinner. I slept so well that night. I woke up to another beautiful morning and to the smell of freshly made grits and buttered toast. I see everypony sitting at the table enjoying their breakfast.

"Good morning...! I hope you slept well!" Pinkie is still so energetic, I've gotten used to it at this point. I sat at the table to join them.

"I did. So why are all of you up so early? I mean, you're all on vacation, aren't you?"

"Actually, we have to go and clean up the mess in the mine before anything else bad happens. Hopefully we can salvage some of the lost supplies." Limestone sounded a bit excited.

"I wanna help you all. It was kind of my fault that the mine collapsed...." I should have been more careful that day.

"It isn't anypony's fault. What happened was an accident. The foundation that held up the tunnel was unstable anyway." Maud was trying to make me feel better, but I still feel guilty.

"You leave the heavy work to us. Maybe Mom and Dad would like some help around the house or something." Limestone looked at Mom and Dad to confirm it.

"Actually, we do want you to accompany Marble to Canterlot. We need her to deliver a message to the Princesses today. Maybe you can pay a visit to Princess Luna." Mom then pointed at a lone letter lying on the counter.

"Sure...! I'm sure Princess Luna wouldn't mind a visit. You wouldn't mind if I tag along, do you, Marble?" Marble nodded silently. She seemed troubled about something.

"Alright then...! Time to work! Let's go...!" Pinkie then rushed off after eating.

"Pinkie, hold it...!" Limestone then quickly finished and ran after Pinkie.

"Be careful you two." Maud then followed them to the mine.

"Don't take too long. We will need all the help we can get when you two get back." Dad then followed them. Marble and I took the letter and then made our way to the train station. As we walked, Marble remained silent. I wasn't sure what to say to her. It was getting...a little awkward.

We arrived at the train station and waited for the train to arrive. It was still quiet and awkward between us and for the life of me, I didn't know what to say to her. Eventually, the train arrived and we both got on. And it was still quiet and awkward between us.

I took a deep breath, "So...Marble, how have you been lately?" I might start with an easy question. She nervously looked away and I think she squeaked an answer out.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Marble squeaked out another answer I could not hear. It was becoming even more awkward between us. I kept my composure.

"Do you...have any hobbies? Like drawing or knitting?" I know her Cutie Mark are supposed to be three little pebbles, but maybe she does other things. Marble then looked at me with a...somewhat surprised expression on her face.

"...um...I...um...like...making...dolls...." That was the clearest answer she gave me.

"Really...? You like making dolls? Though, I don't see any dolls in your room or anything like that."

"...I...can make...rock dolls...but...I want....to make....knitted dolls...." Marble then looked away.

"Knitted dolls? That sounds nice. I didn't know you knit. I would love to see you do it."

"...I...can't knit...." Marble looked depressed.

"I can knit. I learned it from Miss Jubilee. I can teach you if you want." Marble then looked at me all surprised again.

"Really...? You will...?" Marble looked a bit excited.

"Of course. I would love to teach you. Maybe you can have Mom teach you too."

"Well...um...I wanted...to ask her...but....dolls aren't....good for....the rock farm...." I guess she has a point. The rock farm is a family business. She probably has very little time for her to knit.

"I'm sure you can do it. I bet they will all look cute when you make them." I then noticed Marble's cheeks turn a slight pink. It was so cute.... Eventually, we arrived at Canterlot and it was as big and fancy as ever. We made our way to the castle and stopped at the front gate. The train then left as soon as the new passengers got on. The train would return at 2pm this afternoon. So we had time to enjoy our trip.

"We are sorry, but the Princesses are very busy with an important meeting and will not be taking any visitors today. Any and all messages will be delivered by us when their meeting is done." The guards were as attentive as ever. So the Princesses are really busy with something...? I wonder what it is.

"...ok...." Marble then gave the letter to the guard on the left side of the gate so he could deliver it to the Princesses. We then left the gate and decided to rest at one of the cafés in Canterlot and enjoyed some cupcakes and tea. Marble remained silent for some time after that. As much as I want to talk to her I'm not sure what to say.

"...Daine....what do...you like to do...?" I was surprised to see Marble speak up first. I might be getting through to her. I started telling her all about my life in Manehatten. I told her about my job as a waitress in Tough Love's bakery/café and Marble was impressed. I then noticed she had a rather sad expression on her face.

"What's wrong, Marble...? Did I offend you?"

"Oh, no...! It's...just that...you're so brave.... I...have always...been so scared.... I could...never do what...you did...." Marble must have some self-esteem issues.

"I was scared too when I first came to be. I was always afraid of being seen as a fake or as a monster. Though, what do you have to be afraid of? You have a loving family, and I'm sure you have some friends who care about you too." Marble wasn't always so timid if I remember correctly. She was always cheerful like Pinkie. So why is she so scared of everything? Marble turned away when I asked her that question. I knew it had to have been something serious.

"...it...it was right....after Pinkie left home...to live in Ponyville.... I was...working in the...mines with everypony.... We were....hauling minerals out of....the mines and....while I was digging....the tunnel became weaker and....it collapsed.... Limestone saved me but....her right-rear hoof got broken....and she couldn't work for a few months.... It was all my fault...." So that's what happened. Accidents on the Rock Farm must be common. Pinkie probably didn't know how much of an affect this event had on Marble.

"Limestone...probably hates me...for being stupid...." Marble must be afraid of being hated. Or maybe she's afraid of failing somepony again. Either way, this event had a on her.

"Marble, I know that's not true. Limestone would never hate you or any of our sisters."

"How would you know...?" Marble sounded skeptic. Limestone seems like the one who hides her feelings.

"Trust me, I know. She's just...hard-headed like that." That was my attempt at a joke. Marble then started giggling. She must be feeling better now.

"Yes, she is. Thank you, Diane." We finished our visit at the café, paid our bill, and left to explore Canterlot more. It would take some time for the train to return. We looked all over the kingdom. The many stores either had really fancy dresses or jewelry and I don't really have any interest in all that. Marble, on the other hoof, was captivated by all of it. Now that I think about it, her bed is very tidy compared to Limestone's, Maud's, and Pinkie's. We then passed a shop where three wedding dresses displayed at front window and Marble's eyes sparkled at how beautifully made they all were. There was a pure white one on the far left, a pitch black dress on the far right, and a plain gray one in the middle. They were all very pretty.

"You know, Diane, I hope that someday I'll find a nice stallion. He'll accept me no matter what." I blushed. But then I realized that Marble spoke clearly and without any pauses. Maybe she's starting to become more open...?

Marble then blushed bright red, "Aagh...! I'm...sorry....for talking....so much...!" Or not.... She then hid her face in embarrassment. If Mother heard that, I'm sure she'd be happy. We continued looking all over Canterlot until we noticed that it was now 1:34 pm. Marble and I made our back to the train station and waited until the train arrived. When it finally arrived, we got on and it left Canterlot for home. We both shared some small talk and eventually we made it back home at around 3:55 pm. We made our way back home and met up with Maud on our way back. She was covered in dirt and mud. She and Limestone must be really busy.

"You're both back. How did your visit in Canterlot go?" Maud was pulling some large boulders in a cart. I knew she was strong, but...wow.

"It was...fun. Is Mom and...Dad home...?"

"Yes, they are. I'm going to remove these boulders. I'll talk to you later." Maud then left to get back to work. Marble and I then left for the house. We went inside and saw Mom sewing another blanket.

"Oh, welcome back. I hope you two had fun. Ugh...darn this yarn." She seemed to be struggling with her sewing.

"Yes...we had fun. We...delivered the letter. Do you...need help...?" Marble walked over to Mom to look at the blanket.

"Diane, would you help me with dinner for a bit? Perhaps show me your baking?" Dad called me from the kitchen. I left Marble with Mom to do so. Dad and I both began getting dinner ready for everypony. I even began baking some bread rolls for us. Miss Jubilee taught me how. Dad tried one of them and he was very impressed. Though, they were a little well-done.... Later that day, we began setting up the dinner table and dinner was all ready. We were having a big salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, and the bread rolls I made. We were then stopped by Mom and Marble.

"Now hold on, you two. Before you start setting up the table...." Mom placed a large blanket over the table and it was very pretty with it's combination of greens and yellows. It had a had many little diamonds positioned to look like a larger diamond. It went by green, then yellow, and so on.

"Well...that's very nice." Dad was right. It was very nice.

"Wait...is that the blanket from earlier?"

"That's right, Diane. Marble got it done very quickly. I've been struggling with it for a month now. And she did it so well too." Mom was very happy. Marble was blushing really red from the praise.

"We're back." Maud and Limestone came back home after what looked like a long day's work. They were both covered in dirt and mud.

"Huh...? Hey, is that the blanket you were working on, Mom?" Limestone took a good look at it.

"Yes it is, and Marble helped me with it. She's quite good at it. She even fixed some small holes in the knitting I did before." Mom hugged Marble out of joy.

"She always did have an eye for the little things. I'm going to go wash up." Maud left us and Limestone followed. Maybe...maybe that's what Marble is good at. Spotting the little details? I don't know. After Maud and Limestone came back all washed up, we all set up the dinner table and sat down for dinner. We all enjoyed it and it was beginning to get late. We all began getting ready for bed afterwards. Before I got in bed, Marble walked up to me.

She made a small smile, "Daine....thank you. I think...I'll be fine."

I chuckled, "I know you will. Good night." We all then went to bed and awaited for another day.