• Published 19th Jan 2017
  • 616 Views, 0 Comments

Story of Diane Pie: Family Ties - Middle Ground



Now Diane faces the biggest challenge ever: Re-uniting her 'real' family.

  • ...
 0
 616

Chapter 2 - Maud Pie

After dinner, we then went into the living room and we talked about all kinds of stuff. My parents and sisters told me about the unique stone they found in the mine last week called 'Blastite'. They said it was supposed to be a combination of Pyrite, Coal, and even Oil merged together by magic over centuries. But they couldn't harvest it because it was very flammable. And that there was lots of it. So they left the mine alone. I told them all about what I had been through over the year. I told them about my job at the bakery/café, I told them about Miss Jubilee's family, and about all of the fun times I had in Manehatten. Though...now that I am here, I feel homesick. I've lived in the city for so long, I guess I prefer the city life more. They were all impressed with the pony I became.

"So what about all of you? What have you all been doing?" I've gotten tired of talking about myself. I wanted to get to know them for a change in topic.

"Well, we're mostly doing work on the rock farm and mine. But on our off-days we do other things. I help Dad build things like fences and carts. I'm always keeping myself busy." Limestone did always prefer to work a lot.

"I...do...crochets...." Marble was quiet most of the time.

"I would love to see your knitting, Marble." Marble then hid her face as she blushed.

"I do some traveling to other places to study on different kinds of stones. I bring Boulder with me wherever I go." I never knew Maud moved around that much to be honest.

"I've been everywhere...! I traveled to the Crystal Empire to see Princess Cadence's baby, I helped play a game of Buck Ball with Fluttershy, I had Heath's Warming Day here while Applejack and her family visited, and I went to the Gryphon Kingdom with Rainbow Dash!" I figured Pinkie did lots of stuff with her friends. I'm not surprised.... We then heard the sound of the living room clock toll it's bell and it was 9:50 pm. Were we talking for that long...?

"Alight girls, I believe now is the time to go get some sleep. We must be awake early to finish up gathering those gems in the mine." They all agreed with Igneous and they began making their way to bed.

"Can I help...?" I figured I should help them while I am visiting.

"No, you don't have to, Diane. You are our guest. We'll manage." Maud and the sisters left for their room.

"But...I want to help."

"Don't worry, dear. You can help me around the house. I do need some help with organizing my quilts." I nodded when Mom asked for my help.

"Off to bed with all of you then." We all left for the upstairs room when Dad said the word, and I was sleepy. Us five brushed out teeth and then entered the bedroom. We stepped through the doorway and memories began flooding back to me. All the fun and games Pinkie and her sisters played in the room with....five beds?

"Here is your bed, Diane. I placed your pillow and blanket for you. Boulder will keep you safe." Maud pointed at the fifth bed and Boulder was sitting on a small desk on the left side. My pillow and blanket were set up nice and neatly.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask us." Limestone then gave me a hug. Marble and Maud joined in.

"Good night...!" Pinkie then hugged all of us. I'm getting too many hugs.... We then went to bed after bidding good night. For almost an hour, I looked around the bedroom with mixed feelings. I felt nostalgic yet unfamiliar with everything as I laid in bed. The memories of fun times that weren't even mine filled my head. I guess I'm just jealous of Pinkie for that. I'm sure it will pass in the morning. Right now, I am too sleepy to think about it. I then drifted off into peaceful sleep. The new morning came and I woke up to the smell of pancakes being made. They had a different kind of smell; very different to Miss Jubilee's. I also noticed that Pinkie and her sisters were not in bed. They might be working at the rock farm right now. I fixed up my mane and tail, brushed my teeth, and made my way downstairs. I see Mom and Dad making pancakes in the kitchen and I walked in.

"Ah...good morning, Diane. I hope you slept well. And you're just in time to enjoy some pancakes." Dad placed newly made pancakes on a platter after Mom finished flipping them.

"Where are Pinkie and the others?" I then took my seat at the kitchen table.

"They are at the rock farm right now. Perhaps you can help me around the house today." Mom then finished flipping another pancake and Dad placed it on the platter with the others. They then sat down and were ready to eat.

"Shouldn't we wait for Pinkie and her sisters?" I figured Pinkie would be here by now with the smell of freshly made pancakes in the air.

"Don't worry, they had already eaten earlier this morning before leaving. I will be joining them soon enough." Dad then got us plates and forks for us. We then ate some pancakes and Dad left after breakfast. Mom and I began doing a few things like dusting the house, cleaning the dishes used during breakfast, and even sewing a blanket Mom was working on. After a little while, we then saw Dad and the girls walking inside all sweaty and dirty.

"Phew...! What a day!" Pinkie's mane and tail were covered in dirt. Now Mom and I have to clean the floor again....

"Dear, where is Maud...?" Mom and I noticed that Maud wasn't with them.

"She said that she would like to explore the mines a little longer. She also said she might have found a large clump of clay we could use." I should have guessed it was for that reason.

Mom gave a sigh, "That silly mare.... Diane, would you be a dear and take a few of the leftover pancakes in a basket to her? She could use something to eat right now."

"Uh...I can do that! I know what mine Maud is looking through and-" I then stopped her as I made my way into the kitchen.

"It's fine, Limestone. I think I can manage myself." I have noticed that Limestone has been spoiling me and I don't really appreciate it. I can take care of myself if I have to. I then gathered up three pancakes into a cloth, then into a basket, and then made m way out the door.

"Maud is in the pit down tunnel number three! Good luck...!" I followed Pinkie's directions and made my way into the dark tunnel. The rails were old, but in good condition, there were a few shovels and picks, and I passed a mine cart along the way.

"Maud...?! Are you here?!" I called out to Maud, hoping to get an answer. I heard the sound of my echo travel through the tunnel. I found it...pretty funny. I couldn't help but giggle.

"What are you doing here?" I jumped up and gave a scream when Maud just happened to be standing right next to me. I then bumped into the left side of the tunnel and suddenly the sounds of falling stones erupted. Suddenly, the only source of light from the tunnel's exit was blocked off by many stones. It then became incredibly dark and I thought it was the end. I thought I was crushed by many stones, but my heart was still beating. My breath was fast and I was frozen with fear.

"Maud...are...are you alright?" I was so scared after everything that happened. I assumed that something bad happened to Maud after the rocks came falling down.

"I'm still standing next to you." Maud was right beside me in the darkness and I grabbed hold of her in terror and in relief. It had become cold almost immediately and I treated Maud as my only source of warmth.

"It's alright, Diane. We'll be fine." Maud then held onto me. I was trembling violently.

"What do we do...?! Is there a way out?!" I searched frantically for a way out, but it was too dark to see anything.

"Calm down. There is a way out. Just stick close to me." Maud then stood on her hooves and I joined her. We began to walk down into the tunnel. I hope Maud knows where she is going....

"Diane, what are you doing here? You should know that it isn't safe here." I held onto Maud as we walked.

"I'm sorry, but Mom wanted me to give you some pancakes she made. But I think I dropped them...." I was so scared I almost forgot about the pancakes.

"I see. It's alright. I don't like sweets all that much. We're almost there." I then looked forward and saw a faint light as we walked. We then found another tunnel and it was leading back to the outside. I rushed outside without waiting and was really relieved. Maud was second to leave it.

"Thank the Princesses that we got out...! I was so scared!" I then hugged Maud out of relief.

"You reminded me of how Pinkie would hold onto me when she got scared. You two really are alike." Maud gave a smile and even a slight chuckle. We then left the pit and made our way back home. But we then saw Mom, Dad, Pinkie, Limestone, and Marble rushing towards us.

"Maud...! Diane...! Are you two alright?!" They all gathered around us to check if we were safe.

"Yes, Mom. We're fine." Maud seemed completely unfazed.

"We heard the sound of rocks falling coming from the mine...! Are you hurt anywhere?!" Dad checked us both for any injuries.

"No, we're alright...! Maud was able to get us out." The attention was a little uncomfortable. But was still appreciated.

"I'm...glad...." Marble then hugs Maud out of relief.

"I told you I should have gone instead." Limestone sighed out of relief.

"What happened in there?! Did a monster show up?! Did the rocks plug up the tunnel?!"

"Um...no. Nothing like that happened, Pinkie." Though...she was half right.

"The tunnel was full of clay and solidified mud, but there were also bits of stone holding it all together. Anything hitting the walls made the support collapse. I suggest we don't go in there anymore unless we want to risk any chance of injury. Or worse." They all agreed with Maud and we all left the pit. Mom and Dad will need to make an order for some new mining supplies before going back to work. So Pinkie and the girls were happy to be off work for a little while. Except for Limestone.... She just gave a bothered sigh. She must really prefer working over playing.

"Um...Maud? Thanks for helping me." I began walking next to Maud as she slowly followed everypony.

"Of course. You're my sister too." We then made our way back home. I'm glad Maud is there to look after Pinkie and I.