• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 1,690 Views, 933 Comments

Ponyfinder: Roots of Stone - David Silver



Tree Hugger comes to help the Pies with a tree that sprouted on their rock farm. It's in the way! Her attempt to move it peacefully propels herself and Maud Pie into the Ponyfinder world of Everglow, where they will have to learn to fight together.

  • ...
6
 933
 1,690

PreviousChapters Next
73 - To Engage

They awoke one morning of travel to find Fast already sitting up, a thoughtful look on her face.

Tree tilted her head a little. "Something heavy weighing you down, sister?"

Fast inclined an ear at Tree. "Yes, but I think it's... It's past time to throw it off. Short, how close are we to a rail station?"

Short yawned before he replied, "A day and a half if we bear directly for it. There is a small shower coming, and it will clear the way." He rose to his paws. "I will leave you to it. I have watched your travel for long enough, and the pride is weakened for my absence."

Tabitha got to her hooves quickly. "Thanks for coming this far." She bowed lightly. "I hope your trip back to your family goes well."

He smiled at Tabitha. "You are very polite. It's good to know there are still etiquettes in the world, observed outside our pride. Should you happen on our path again, you will be welcomed to share in our hunt." He plucked up the small form of his still-sleeping son in his mouth and tossed him onto his own back. "Travel swift and safely."

Paul was packing his things away. "So, we've followed a cat around, did we get anywhere for it?"

Fast nodded. "I think we have." She shook herself out, reached for her helmet, and slipped it into place. "Following instead of leading for a moment is just what I think I needed."

Tree smiled her tranquil smile. "Far out. I can dig that. Are you feeling it now?"

Fast paused a moment. "I think I am, if I understand your meaning. We... There's no time for wallowing." She sat on her haunches and tapped her hooves together. "Each day we delay, more innocent ponies suffer. Destiny, The Author, wants me to fix this. I'm not the kind of pony to throw off that responsibility."

Maud approached as she nodded. "We're here to help. Let's save some ponies." Her words were as monotone as ever, but her meaning wasn't lost.

Fast smiled behind her visor and turned to the west, starting to lead the way. "Side benefit, the rail should be much more comfortable than constant walking." She stretched a hind leg back without slowing. "As good as this may be for fitness sake."

Paul gestured ahead. "So we're not worried about assassins or the like anymore?"

"No, we are." Fast shook her head. "But we can't let that fear slow us down anymore. Viljatown is still the capital. If we're going to name a new Queen, that'd be the place to do it. Besides, the point wasn't lost. Shrouded in metal, there's little of me to identify from any other pony, and I was the most recognizable out of the group."

Tabitha's ears twitched atop her head, still obeying their own whims. "Well we're hardly subtle. How many mostly human satyrs and full-on humans are there around here?"

"More than most like to admit," huffed out Fast. "Neither of you are known very far or wide in the pony lands. Those specific assassins aside, you're an unknown element." She looked over her shoulder. "Have you changed your mind, Princess of Ponies?"

Tabitha put her hands at her hips. "I haven't called myself that for a while. I'll be happy just being friend of ponies, and maybe protector of them."

Paul rolled his shoulders. "About that... Thanks for the save, back in the desert."

Tabitha's brow raised. "You're welcome, but that was a while ago. Why bring it up now?"

Paul made a limp gesture forward as he walked. "Shoulda said somethin' at the time, but, hey... You're really comin' around. I can appreciate that."

She extended her hands up, stretching even as she went. "It's alright. You're lucky is what you are. That was about the last one I had, and I only spotted you out of the corner of my eye."

Paul snorted. "It's the luck of fools, perhaps? Flint'd be proud."

Maud nudged against Paul. "We're proud right now." She moved aside of Fast. "And you. Let's do what we came to do."

The rail came into view after hiking. The shower that Short promised came and went, and nothing tried to stop their march. The station was where it was promised to be, a little north of where they ran into the line. Approaching it, the small shack that was set up beside it looked abandoned and empty.

Fast settled beside the track, at the station. "I shouldn't be surprised. We're still in view, the train driver should slow for us."

"You won't have to worry about that." Stepping out of the shack came several leather-clad ponies with weapons clenched in teeth or strapped to their sides, led by a sneering mare. "Put down you--"

Fast regarded them cooly. "Look at us, damn fools. You can walk away now."

A tense moment passed between them. One of the less brave ponies leaned in towards his boss mare. "They look kinda tough."

Paul hiked a thumb at Maud. "If you think she's the weak spot, you picked way wrong bucko."

Maud stepped forward. "We don't have to fight, but you will lose."

One pony wielding as little as Maud stepped forward. "I'll take her."

Maud raised a brow at the pony. "Are you a monk as well?"

He clopped his forehooves together. "Never had the patience for that monastic bullshit. I'm just here for a good brawl, and you're practically offering it up. You ready to swap fists?"

"I don't have fists."

"Shut up and fight." He threw himself at her, only to duck just as she lashed out a hoof and come around in a wild spin as if to knock her hooves out from under her, but she was rooted to the ground. "Oh ho ho, a real earth-bound? Now I know the fight's worth having."

As they traded blows, the others were backing away. Angry looks from their boss did little to dissuade them from withdrawing from the competent-looking travelers. "There's not so many of them. Just like all the others! Imagine how much we could get!"

Paul pulled free his massive blade. "How about you go first, since you're so eager for the rest?"

Even as the others broke and fled, Maud and her opponent exchanged blows rapidly. It reminded her of her time sparring with the monk, but the grace wasn't there. It was skill, not harmony. It was the desire to fight, not the need to understand. Though they both used hooves, head, and every other bodypart as weapons, their basic styles were utterly alien.

He suddenly landed a blow across her snout. Everything spun wildly, and she crashed to the ground, unconscious.

"Lucky hit," said the stallion as if bemoaning the blow. "Come on, get back up. We're barely warmed up and I'm having far too much fun." He slapped her lightly with a hoof, rousing her to waking and offering a hoof up. "That's one, how 'bout best out of three?"

Tabitha raised a brow. "What about theoretically mugging us?"

He shrugged. "I was in it for the fightin' really. Come on!" Once Maud was standing he hopped back and reared up onto his hind legs. "I know you won't be caught by that cheap shot twice."

Fast shook her head. "We do have places to be."

The stallion snorted. "If you're waitin' for the damn train, you'll be here most of the day, so why not spend it with a few good scraps?"

Maud raised a brow at the curious male. "Why did you want to fight, if not to win?"

He shrugged. "Maybe I think you're kind of pretty, and tough. You're exactly my kind of mare." He winked and smiled a bit too wide. "Don't you worry none, I'm just askin' for a good fight, nothing more than that."

Maud tilted her head lightly. "I'm pretty?"

"Didn't I just go and say that?" He tapped her on the shoulder. "Come on, best of three."

Maud shook her head a little. "I don't understand you."

"That's alright. I barely understand me." He fell back to all fours. Taking the time to look him over, he was a sky-blue earth-bound stallion with purple mane in a distinctive mohawk and matching tail. "Well, if we aren't gonna throw down, maybe we could talk?"

Tree looked between him and Maud. "This is way radical. I think he's deep into you, Maud."

Maud looked confused at the very topic. "My name is Maud Pie. I farm rocks."

"Is that where you got your muscle from?" He moved up towards her, looking her over. "You're built... I'm not s'good at words, but you're damn built!" With a wagging tail he smiled. "Can I get to know the rest of you?"

Maud pointed at her companions. "They're right there."

"No, the rest of you. What do you like? Where ya from?" He slapped his chest with a hoof. "I'm Sky Strike. Stupid name for an earth-bound if you ask me, but they saw my flank and there it was." He turned to display the icon of a cloud being punched through by a hoof. "What's yours? I can't see it under that pretty dress you're wearing."

"It's a frock."

He raised a brow. "What's a frock look like?"

"I'm wearing one."

He frowned a moment. "Oh! Oh! So that's not your mark or nothing. What's your mark? What'd the gods brand you with?"

Maud tilted her head. "It's a rock."

He burst into rough laughter. "That fits just fine. Nice to meet you, Maud." He thrust a hoof out.

She met it in a light bump. "Nice to meet you."

Tabitha shrugged a little. "I wish all fights ended this way."

Author's Note:

Maud made a friend, awww....

Or is a typo?

PreviousChapters Next