• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 1,690 Views, 933 Comments

Ponyfinder: Roots of Stone - David Silver



Tree Hugger comes to help the Pies with a tree that sprouted on their rock farm. It's in the way! Her attempt to move it peacefully propels herself and Maud Pie into the Ponyfinder world of Everglow, where they will have to learn to fight together.

  • ...
6
 933
 1,690

PreviousChapters Next
5 - Bunking Down

Flint and Paul led the ponies further into town, confident with permission given.

Flint nudged Maud. "Do you know who that was?"

"No."

Flint shrugged softly. "Suppose ya wouldn't. That there's the lord of this land. He owns it, top ta bottom!"

Tree Hugger tilted her head. "Does he own the forest?"

Paul looked surprised at the idea. "'Course he does! Everythin'! Ya gotta keep walking fer about a day before ya see a damn thin' that ain't his."

Tree Hugger frowned a little. "Trees may live where we do at times, but we do not 'own' them. They are wonderful and living creatures. You don't 'own' living things."

Flint shook his head as he walked. "You may want ta keep that kind ah opinionating all to yerself. Ya won't make any friends that way."

Paul shrugged. "Besides, who says he don't own us? We pay most of what we earn tos the guy. He can have us thrown out, or just killed. Sounds like owning ta me. Seven hells, if you try to leave without his permission, and he catches you, you best be ready for a world of pain."

Tree Hugger's expression fell a little, showing a delicate frown. "My poor new friends... Perhaps I misjudged you."

Maud lifted an ear at them. "I have a question." Flint and Paul looked to her expectantly. "What do you get, if we fight, and win?"

Paul rubbed two of his fingers together, feeling imaginary coins. "Well, the biggest thin' are the cash prizes. They ain't even taxed! That's the best part! I mean... if you did win, we'd really have money, for once. We could do a lot with that, ya know?"

Maud nodded slowly. "And the other part?"

Flint took over, leaning closer to Maud. "You see, if we became the champions, we automaticals get a title. Do ya know what a title is, Maud?" Maud shook her head. "Right now, we ain't got none, but once we do, we ain't commoners no more. We ain't owned. We're real people. It's one of the few ways out."

Tree Hugger tapped at her chin. "Are you sure that isn't flaky?" They looked perplexed. "Is it on the down low? ... Are you sure? Are you certain this is true?"

That they understood. Paul gave a firm thumbs up. "There ain't always a champion. The lord's got impressive beasts, and takes pride in winnin', but whenever some lucky bastard wins through, gold, titles, every time..."

A new female voice called out, "Who're your adorable little friends?"

A female human had asked, perhaps in her twenties, though being a commoner did her no favors for keeping a youthful appearance. She wore a plain and rugged blouse and pants, more designed for work than any flattery. "I've never seen the likes."

Paul's expression brightened on seeing her. "Jessi! Hello there, my dear."

"Oh don't you go 'dearing' me." She stuck out her tongue a little as she approached. "Introduce me. You were just talking to them, weren't you?"

Tree Hugger stepped towards the new human with a little smile. "Like, hello and greetings. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Tree Hugger, and this is Maud Pie." She gestured to Maud as she spoke her name.

Jessi nodded. "This big oaf just gave my name, but nice to meet you too. If you don't mind the askin', what are you?"

Maud spoke evenly, "Ponies."

Jessi shook her head. "You don't look like any pony I ever saw before." She reached for Tree Hugger's leg and patted along it. "Your legs are too straight, like ya don't have hooves or nothin'. You are cute though, I'll give ya that."

Tree Hugger gently pulled her leg free, giving a little smile and trying to keep her complaints to herself for a moment. "Thank you, but we are, ponies that is."

Jessi shrugged. "If you prefer. I guess you are kinda horse like. I gotta get goin'. Don't let these two buffoons cause you any trouble." She moved right on past the crowd with a wave over her shoulder.

Flint shrugged lightly. "And there she goes. Jessi's one of our, uh, friends."

Paul sighed softly. "Wish she was more than that..."

Tree Hugger smiled at Paul. "Aw, that's way sweet. Have you tried just going for it? Maybe she's just gone and doesn't know you're hot for her."

Paul colored, even if he didn't completely understand. "Her father hates me, doesn't respect me. I can't get him to smile, so there ain't no way I can get her. That's how it works."

Maud looked to Paul. "So would this fight help that too?"

Paul suddenly went upright and stiff. "By the gods! You're right! If I get a title, he'll have to respect me! Then I can ask her out, then for her hand, and--"

Flint put a hand on Paul's shoulder. "Calm down there. Let's focus on winning, first."

They arrived at a ramshackle hut and flint pushed open the door, which apparently had no latch to speak of. "Welcome to our grand abode."

Hugger stepped in quietly and began to look around. It was... It was a dump. There was a bunk bed built for two that looked like it hadn't been cleaned out in too long, and it was bedded with straw, not a mattress. There was a little oven, but it didn't even vent outside! There were clothes strewn about and some plates equally scattered, some still dirty, with a collection of tiny local wildlife enjoying the meal. Tree Hugger's face turned slowly to horror before she shook her head, her tranquil expression returning. "First order of business. No wonder your energies are so muddled. Like, I understand a need for freedom and expression, but this is too far, even for me."

She advanced on the mess and began straightening. Clothes went into a pile, with especially foul smelling ones going in another pile. Clean plates, dirty plates... Soon one could at least see the dirt floor easily, and didn't run the risk of stepping on something.

Maud moved to help, taking the dirty plates before putting them back down. "Where's the sink?"

Paul wrung his hands a little nervously. "We don't have one of those..."

Hugger tilted her head. "How do you clean things, man?"

Paul pointed out of the house. "There's a well just up the road. You can get water out of it for drinkin', or cleanin' or whatever else."

Maud walked quietly out of the house, the dirty dishes balanced on her back.

Flint shook his head slowly. "You two are a real blessin', delivered by the kind hands of the gods themselves. Thank you."

Tree Hugger smiled at Flint. "It's all good. Let's make this a more laid back crib." She went to the bunk beds next and gave them a sniff before turning up her nose a moment. "Where can we get some fresh straw?"

And so the rest of the day was spent, bringing the hut up to livable conditions. By the time dinner rolled around, Paul offered to cover it. "It's the least I can do. You two, uh... Shoot, this is embarassin'."

They headed out as one for the local tavern. There were a few tables available, so they claimed one for their own. The ponies preferred to just stand beside the table, rather than try to use the stools provided.

The human behind the bar, a larger sort with a big beard, called out, "Hey, Flint, Paul. You two know better than bringin' livestock in here. I'll make you clean their messes with your tongues!"

Flint made a dismissive gesture. "Blind as always, Jack? These are ponies, magic ponies. They won't be makin' no messes." Much more quietly, he leaned in towards Maud and Tree hugger. "Right?"

Tree Hugger blinked softly. "Like, no way!"

Maud nodded quietly in agreement.

Jack shrugged. "It'll be your tongues and our laughter. So what'ya want?"

Paul stroked his chin before snapping his fingers. "Ah'm in the mood fer what's roasting there."

Tree Hugger looked where he seemed to be indicating and saw it was a huge slab of meat. Humans were... She paled softly at the thought of it and put a hoof over her mouth. "Do they have anything for a pony?"

Flint called out towards Jack, "Hey, got something nice and vegetable-like for our guests?"

Jack shrugged. "Sure thing. You want a slice too?"

It was settled, and the two plates of meat with sides of sweet potato and a corn a piece was served for the two humans, all drizzled with some kind of thick gravy that they enjoyed thoroughly.

For the ponies, a dish that was a riot of colors. It was full of vegetable greens of all kinds. "Enjoy. I normally don't get the serve these 'less we got an elf comin' through town."

Curiously, all four 'plates' were not plates at all, but square slices of bread, just slightly stale.

Maud pulled hers closer and began eating the entire plate, food and bread, in steady crunches of her powerful teeth.

Tree Hugger took hers a bit more delicately, grazing on the tasty greens with appreciative little sounds.

Paul leaned back with a satisfied expression. "I can't even wait 'till tomorrow... Ya sure... You know, you can handle it?"

Maud chomped up the last of the plate, leaving nothing behind. "I should be fine."

Flint held his corn up in both hands, devouring its sweet kernels. "No point worryin' 'bout it now. Let's get a full night's sleep after this, and we'll take care of it after that."

Tree Hugger looked over her friend a moment. "Does it still hurt, from before?"

Maud shook her head. "I'm fine."

Tree Hugger didn't believe her, and moved to look over Maud. "May I?" She put a hoof over the bandage. Maud gave a little nod, and Hugger pulled it away to see her friend was still gashed. She scowled at it, then thought of the wonderful green energy inside of her. She raised both forehooves to Maud's side. "Mighty spirits of the trees, forces most groovy, make my friend better please."

A soft pulse of green jumped from her hooves into Maud, and the burnt wound suddenly pulled closed. There was a furless line, but otherwise it was healed. Maud lifted one of her forehooves and looked at the bottom, where it no longer felt burned. She stated in her monotone, "Thank you."

Paul whistled softly. "So ya do have a talent. Reckon healin' won't go as far in a fight though, but you can help your friend bounce back after the fights."

Hugger looked uncertain a moment. "Do we have to fight? Fighting isn't cool at all."

Maud put a hoof on Hugger's shoulder. "It'll be okay."

Though it was said with all the force of any word Maud had ever said before, Hugger felt there was something there, and she relented for the time.

They returned, bellies filled, to the cleaned up hut to settle in to rest. With the fresh straw, they made two more mats. Nobody would be sharing beds that night.

Author's Note:

The ponies get to see more of the town they're becoming part of, and learn of their friends.

Perhaps this fight isn't entirely just for giggles?

Who replaced their plates with bread? That must be a typo.

PreviousChapters Next