• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 817 Views, 11 Comments

Deus-ex-Lyra - Cool writer



Hearts and hooves day is a time to spend with your very special some pony, But pony guys just aren't good enough for Lyra. So she's gonna do better.

  • ...
20
 11
 817

3 A walk around town

"... So then I said, that's my banana!" Deus finished. Lyra giggled a bit. "I must say, this place is nice! What's it called?" Deus asked.

"It's called Sugar Cube Corner." Lyra answered. "I've had a great time today! One of the best I've had with somepony other than Bonbon. Despite the stairs from the onlookers." Deus responded to this statement with a laugh, and took a sip of his milk shake.

"Ok, Ms. Heartstrings, tell me a bit about yourself." Deus asked. Lyra shook her head.

"I have one more question to ask, please!" Lyra pleaded. Deus nodded slowly. "Thanks! Ok, the question is: What does 'Deus' mean?" Lyra asked, questioningly.

"Ok..." Deus looked up slightly and started to tap his chin with his finger. "Deus is a... latin word? I don't know, it's a word from an old language that means 'god'. My parents named me that because they said I was a heavonly cute baby."

"Wow, that's interesting!" Lyra said. "Now, ask away!"

"Ok... why Lyra?"

"Ooh. I went by Heartstrings for a long time as a filly, but I changed to Lyra when I learned about short human names and started playing the lyre." Lyra explained. Deus nodded, in a way to mock sophistication. Lyra took a sip of her cola. Lyra, (normally a socially awkward wallflower) generally enjoyed the company of Deus, and more than him being a human. He was actually very interesting! He chose to go to school for 7 extra years for something called: "high school" and "college." It was weird because he didn't strike her as the super scholar type. Sure a smart got good grades and tried in class guy... but not to devote 7 extra years and move to the school. Deus, also enjoyed Lyra's company. It was nice to meet someone funny, and not calling him a geek and rejecting him or toying with his emotions. They both looked at each other, and again were completely oblivious to the obvious spark that lit the burner (burners are used in chemestry, that is important to know for that metaphor to make sense). Lyra blushed a bit. Deus rubbed the back of his head.

"So, uh, what day is it?" Deus asked, starting to notice the heart decorations that were all around town, and wondering if something special was going on today or Lyra had rigged this herself.

"Oh, it's Hearts and Hooves day, it's like your Valentines day." Lyra explained. "But day of the week wise... it's Sunday."


"Wow, I am stuffed!" Deus said, patting his belly as the duo exited the sweet shop known as Sugar Cube Corner. "I normally don't like apple pie, but the one you got at that stand was amazing!" Deus finished licking his lips.

"That's the Appels for you: when it comes to apple treats they're the best!" Lyra said.

"Is that a sales slogan or something? That mare behind the register said it too." Deus asked, subliminally picking up on the local lingo.

"Naw. It's just the truth, she is the embodiment of honesty after all." Lyra said. Deus laughed a bit. "I'm not kidding. She is litterally the embodiment of honesty, she has a magic necklace that is powered by honesty." Lyra said, jokingly.

"Such strange notions." Deus said shaking his head.

"What? Like your existence being the result of a typo from someone in control of the universe?" Lyra joked, looking at Deus with a snarkiness in her eye.

"Oh you laugh now, 'Lyra Heartstrings' but when we figure out what happened for real then I will laugh in your face." Deus returned the snark.

"And when you're wrong I'll laugh in your face." Lyra responded, competatively.

"Is that a fact?" Deus asked, raising an eyebrow.

"That is a fact, Jack." Lyra returned in the exact same tone. The expressions of competition on each others faces melted away into smiles and a short laugh.

"GHUUUUUUUUUUUU!" A loud, over the top gasp, erupt from behind the two. Both of them turned around in time to see a pink blur. Both of them looked at each other, shrugged, and continued on their walk.


"They're falling in love!" Pinkie Pie said nervously to Spike the dragon in an ally way, hidden from view of the strange creature and Lyra.

"What?!?" Spike responded, awestruck. "But... how could she fall in love with something like... like that?" Spike asked.

"Spike! That's Rude! His name is Deus, it means god in latin." Pinkie explained.

"You know, I'm not even gonna ask how you know that." Spike said slamming his claw to his face. He then pulled out something that looked like a compass with two thermometers attached to it. "Well, the love-o-meter say's they are falling in love, and they aren't being manipulated by magic or any other force other than true love." Spike said as though quoting someone (probably Twilight).

"Then we're gonna have to give him a year's supply of cupcakes!" Pinkie said. "I need my cupcakes! I can't go a whole year without one! I won't make it! I need my cupcakes!" Pinkie said, sounding like some addict.

"I'm beginning to think losing the bet is a good thing." Spike said sarcastically.

"Don't forget, you have to give years supply of gems that your gonna eat!" Pinkie said. Spike nodded. "Good! I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget, and make sure they know the completely arbitrary rules!" Pinkie said. Spike shook his head. "Oh! I almost forgot an arbitrary rule! We can't do anything to affect them if he doesn't either!"

"Oh brother."


The park was always quiet in the evening. Sure it was still noisy with all the park patrons talking and laughing, but they did it quieter. It also felt more calm. The rays of the setting sun tend to have that effect on ponies. But, for Lyra and Deus, the rays of Celestia's setting sun had another effect. Them, sitting on that park bench, all the noise, all the animals, even all the ponies, they all were nothing. It was like they were the sole residents of that park. Lyra, was sitting like the humans do, and so was Deus (because he was a human). Lyra propped herself up with one hoof, the one closer to the center of the bench. She felt something suddenly put itself on her hoof, it was Deus's (read Deus-is) hand. Both of them retracted their appendages, and blushed a bit. As they sat, looking at the peace of the sunset, Lyra (and Deus alike) noticed that the whole time, they had been scooting towards each other, but neither minded one bit. They were sitting right next to one another, but it felt nice to Lyra.

'Come on Deus, she's totally waiting for you to make a move! Should I wrap my arm around her? Or is that coming on too strong? Is this even right, dating a pony?' Deus's mind reeled with questions.

'Is he waiting for me? Should I make the first move? I don't even know how to flirt with humans! It just occurred to me that it is possible that I have been flirting to him at one point or another. But, is he going to make a move on me? Not that I'm not OK with that, that would be... nice...' Lyra thought to herself. 'Oh Celestia! Am I blushing?' Deus, slowly and cautiously, lifted his inner arm, and wrapped it around Lyra. Lyra didn't care.

'Maybe I'm thinking too much into things, from what I've read in human culture, and love stories, this part is easy. Once... I am thinking too much! Chill out Lyra!' Lyra told herself. After she thought this, her heart rate slowed to a pace that wasn't threatening to rip itself out of her chest or explode... twice! Deus was thinking similar things...

'...That would be weird... wait! Stop thinking about that. That, is not happening! Not unless... NO! Stop that self!' Deus would have slapped himself in the face if the peaceful scene wasn't so peaceful. Lyra, felt tired and put her head on his shoulder. Deus smiled, a genuine (non-creepy) smile.
Then another spark passed between them. This time they felt it (GEEZ! I was thought I was gonna have to make a "love spark" so obvious that it lit the burner, and burned the freaking chemistry classroom/lab down!). And they knew what anyone with any brains (even missing a frontal lobe, the part that does the thinking) would figure out: they are falling for each other.