• Published 25th Jul 2014
  • 581 Views, 7 Comments

The Journal of Clover the Clever - Primary Source



Following Starswirl to the castle in the Everfree wont be easy, but Clover knows it will be worth it. New creatures, new friends, new studies in magic... and she'll get to know the new princesses, if she doesn't die in the woods first.

  • ...
2
 7
 581

Leaving Trottingham

Fifth Moon
Year 1 of the Era of Two Sisters
May 30th

Master Starswirl has long encouraged me to keep a journal, as a record for the 'descendants of Clover' he is so certain I will have. Starting today I will heed his advice, though not for the sake of my would-be descendants. I have chosen to start writing now because this is a major turning point in my life, and I feel the need to record these coming years for my memory. Today I depart for the Everfree Forest, to join my teacher at the building site for the Castle of the Two Sisters. There I will witness the first year of the Era of Two Sisters in the presence of the sisters themselves, and continue my studies in magic.

Since Master Starswirl left with the princesses, I have had more free time than I can fill. For years, all of my time has been spoken for by either my teacher or my role as a mage-in-waiting for Princess Platinum (an appointment I will not miss in the slightest). I haven't had any time to pursue my own research, and have traveled only when Platinum's diplomatic trips gave me an excuse. And though I have a fair hoof of friendships to show for my twenty-four years of life, I have had little time to enjoy them prior to the past few months. I fear I have taken my closeness to my friends for granted, and now I am paying the price.

Moondancer was especially moody over my decision to leave Trottingham. She did not speak to me this last week, until yesterday. She seemed to realize then that my departure is inevitable, and since then she has stayed at my side, hugging me as if she means to squeeze me to death. I treasure every second remaining with her, but I wish she were less underhoof during my packing. With all her distractions, I am sure I have forgotten something.

It's very unfortunate that my duties to Platinum and Master Starswirl have kept me too busy to spend time with Glory and Moondancer, and doubly unfortunate that the only reason I have time now is because we will soon part ways. I can only hope we shall remain great penfriends, as I am with Pansy and Smart Cookie. Distance does not mean the end: I must keep telling myself this.

It is painful, saying goodbye to everything and everypony familiar to me, but I have to move forward. I have learned all I can from Trottingham and the many talented ponies there, and now I must rejoin my teacher to advance my understanding of magic. Master Starswirl is the greatest unicorn of our age, and a pioneer in many fields; there really is no other pony to learn about these magics from.

I depart within a few hours, and all is packed except for this journal. I am starting down the best path open to me. It is mostly coincidence (and my teacher's meddlesome nature) that puts me at the crossroads of history as it is made, for the second time since I endured the first Hearth's Warming. I know I will see history made (and perhaps make history myself) because such things seem unavoidable in the presence of the two alicorn sisters, Celestia and Luna. From the court gossip I have heard, the sisters' appearance has been regarded widely as too perfect to be coincidence. Leaders of the three tribes had been struggling terribly to work together, and integrating the previously segregated tribes without stepping on some hooves seemed impossible. The fear of another Winter still remained strong, but politics and equine stubbornness kept progress at a snail's trot. If the sisters had not appeared when they did, relations likely would have deteriorated into a new Winter or stagnated indefinitely.

Arriving about six moons months past, the two have shaken many beliefs that ponykind once regarded as fact. Their heritage and land of origin are unknown, but they quickly proved themselves to be special. Everypony is chattering about them--how both their horns and wings are functional, and how they have the strength of earth ponies to boot. Supposedly Luna's power alone is greater than ten ponies put together, but the gossipers spreading this tale do not say which ten ponies.

Why they came here, where they came from—everypony has endless questions about them, but any answer the sisters give spawns two more questions in turn. The fillies have supposedly confirmed that there are more alicorns somewhere in the world, but how many there are and how magically advanced their race may be is anypony's guess.

I don't know the details of the fillies' discovery. There are numerous stories making the rounds, each more fantastic than the last. Regardless of how they were found, I can say proudly that I participated in what came next. Master Starswirl had great hopes for these fillies from the moment he heard of them, and roped me into his plans for them. I don't know how many strings he pulled to do so, but Starswirl convinced major leaders from all the tribes to accept the fillies as princesses.

Starswirl insisted that I, Pansy, and Smart Cookie all be part of the delegation to officially offer the titles to Celestia and Luna. It was a surprisingly dry affair as we had to jump through a number of ceremonial and political hoops, presenting the fillies with their titles for the 'first time' in front of the gathered congress of tribes, after truly offering it for the first time privately and informally. All that pomp and the two weren't even crowned! That came much later to give all the nobles and delegates and representatives and other toad-heads time to travel to Phillydelphia for the ceremony. I suppose it also gave some lucky metalworkers the time to whip up crowns for Celestia and Luna.

There have been many small congresses since the first Hearth's Warming as we solidify our new borders, but none so great as to call King Bullion and his noble train of snobs into earth pony territory. Yet the coronation did precisely that, initiating the greatest convening of leaders since before the Great Migration as hundreds of ponies of all kinds gathered for the crowning of two previously unknown foals.

Going beyond their new titles, the two were also given a gift of funds and territory to establish themselves. From what I understand, their territory will function mainly as neutral ground for gatherings between the three nations, and the princesses themselves only have governing power within their own lands. I do wonder how all of this will work in practice.

The princesses are also on the new flag of Equestria, and a new, standard calendar system for all three tribes has been adopted in their honour. This new calendar supposedly integrates some recent advances in mathematics and astronomy, so it requires less tinkering to keep it aligned with the seasons as years pass. Ponies are such creatures of habit, I am not optimistic about the adoption of this new dating system (but perhaps my own difficulties shifting from moons to months are colouring my perspective).

The sisters set out to choose their new holdings immediately after the summit, and many hopeful and opportunistic ponies trailed after them. My teacher was among those ponies. At the time I did not join him; I had much to think about before I could make my decision. The new castle is not terribly far from Trottingham, but it is deep enough within the Everfree Forest that following my teacher was a great commitment to make. Even pegasi fear to cross those skies, so chariots and sky messengers are only available for matters and ponies of great importance. I am not considered greatly important, so I shall be navigating the forest by hoof regardless of the dangers. I do hope that better, safer paths are laid through the forest soon, so that I may visit my friends and family more than once a year.

I am dreading my first journey through those trees. The forest is renowned for its untamable weather and beasts. I have read all I can find about the forest, though information is sparse as ponies have been reluctant to go near it. I suppose the new castle will encourage enterprising ponies to explore, but as of now I have little idea what to expect. Entering uncharted lands, maybe I'll discover new magics or new creatures never seen by equine eyes. That might be more exciting if I didn't fear that those new creatures will discover me as dinner.

Along with the reading, I have copied what maps I can find (hopeless though they are, being poorly detailed from the start and outdated since April) and practiced the wildland survival skills that my teacher insisted I learn. Surviving a few days in the small wood near Trottingham is a far cry from challenging the Everfree Forest; I hope I am prepared.

I will write of my journey later. Right now, Moondancer is pestering me to put away my “dusty old books” and spend the rest of my time wandering and chatting with her, as friends are wont to do. Despite my grumbling, I will miss her greatly.

Signed,
Clover