• Published 11th Apr 2012
  • 1,783 Views, 23 Comments

.rar - Anonympony



Rarity falls for a less than flesh and bone pony.

  • ...
2
 23
 1,783

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

An ear piercing screech awoke Rarity from her beauty sleep. The sleepy unicorn gasped awake and breathed heavily as sounds of objects being thrown around continued from downstairs. Rarity removed herself from the comfort of her plush bed and hurriedly tried to fix her bed mane. The sounds got louder and the unicorn became more concerned. What is going on down there. Rarity added one last detail to her mane and speed down the stairs into the foyer. It was empty, but certainly wasn't clean. Jars of glitter and rhinestones were spilled onto the floor. Dress forms lie injured, the designs they were wrapped in ruined.

The commotion continued, louder than ever. Rarity listened harder, trying to find the source. It seemed to stem from behind a closed door that led to the kitchen. Sounds of hissing and galloping became apparent as Rarity trotted closer. She pressed her ear against the cold wood of the door that kept her from what lay within. More sounds became came through. Plates crashing to the floor, objects being turned over, and the distinct sound of mechanical joints. Rarity feared the worst as she slowly creaked the door open. As the scene grew bigger, the whole picture came into view.

Opal jumped from a counter-top to the kitchen table, turning over a neatly placed tea set. The china smashed on to the cold tile, shattering into a million pieces. Rarity threw the door open, about to yell at the cat for making a mess, but was quickly smacked back by the same door. The unicorn tumbled back into the foyer, holding her muzzle in pain. She stood back up and marched into the kitchen to see Opal on top of a tall cabinet protruding from the wall and PON-E jumping desperately, trying to reach its prey.

"PON-E! What are you doing?! Stop this instant!" Rarity exclaimed, stomping her hoof on the ground. PON-E halted, and looked back at her, his normally green face now replaced with a glowing red one. Opal took this moment to leap off the tall cabinets and scurried off into the foyer, PON-E giving chase and pushing the unicorn to the ground. PON-E and Opal kept at it, running around the foyer, trampling over the spilt glitter and toppled dresses.Soon, the cat found itself trapped in a corner, PON-E blocking all feasible exists. He crept closer and closer, a small node detached itself from his head and brought itself to the cat's snout. PON-E's screen changed from its red angry face to flashing text reading "Exterminate!". The node began to charge, casting a red glow on Opal as she pawed weakly at the screen.

"Target Acquired" PON-E said in his digitised voice. Rarity thought about what he said, and then came to the sudden realisation.

"PON-E, no!" the unicorn shouted at the top of her lungs. PON-E's screen got closer to Opal, the static making her fur cling. The cat whined and meowed desperately as Rarity watched in horror. The robot's screen came face to face with Opal's, the node still in its charged state.

But just then, the screen turned to a blank screen and the robot chirped, "Command Accepted" and returned to its cheerful neutral green face. The node returned to the robot's head and he turned to face Rarity, who was on the brink of tears. As PON-E moved out of the way, Rarity rushed over to her beloved pet, who had fainted in fear.

"Oh Opal." Rarity said, picking up the cat's limp body, slinging it across her back. She began up the stairs, PON-E still standing at attention. As the white unicorn started up the stairs, she gleamed over to PON-E.

"I'm going to take care of Opal. You've scared him to death! In the mean time, try to clean the kitchen. Then we'll go see Twilight and see what we can find out about you." Rarity said. PON-E gave a salute and sprinted into the kitchen. Rarity was halted by the sounds of vacuums and sweeping. She placed pal's body on the step and hurried down the stairs to see the robot standing in the exact same spot. She eyed him carefully, then continued to the kitchen. It was immaculate.

The furniture was turned over to its upright position. The pieces of broken glass and china were swept away, and even the dishes were cleaned. Rarity was speechless. She glanced back and forth between the spotless kitchen and the statuesque robot that still stood at attention in the middle of the foyer. Rarity returned to him once more, giving him one last once over.

"I think you for cleaning the kitchen with such speed. But stay away from Opal, she isn't a threat. PON-E's screen turned to a loading bar that quickly filled, and displayed, "New Ally Added: Opal", and displayed a pixelated cat picture before returning to his happy face once more. The unicorn slowly backed to the stairs, picking up the unconscious feline and returning to her room to get ready to go to Twilight's home. She applied her make-up, false eye lashes, fixed her mane, and brushed her coat 134 times until it was silky smooth.

The unicorn slowly trotted down the stairs, almost prancing.

"How do I look, Mr. PON-E?" she asked, flaunting her fresh look. The robot said nothing, rather just stared off into space. Rarity looked at him with concern, the hum of his fans being the only sign that he was alive. "Well I suppose I look good enough, shall we go?"

PON-E quickly shifted his head to Rarity, causing her to flinch. "Following" he said.

"Oh, okay then. Off we go." she said, as she opened the doors. Celestia's sun broke through the boutique, reflecting off the metal body of the robot. Rarity trotted out, PON-E awkwardly following behind her, air escaping as the joints bent and moved.It wasn't very far to Twilight's house, but PON-E got many stares from the citizens of Ponyville. PON-E's metallic body left a gleam in the observer's eyes as he and Rarity made their way to Twilight's tree home. The two could hear the hushed murmurs of the citizens, but Rarity made nothing of it, enjoying the attention that was brought to her.

"Look PON-E, the masses are flocking to see us." the unicorn said, giving the crowd a small prance as she continued on her way. One mare, another unicorn, slowly made her way to the two. Her green coat and green and white striped mane caught the attention of Rarity, who slowed her pace, eventually coming to a stop in front of her. The crowd fell silent.

"Why hello, Lyra, did you need something? I'm kind of on my way to meet somepony."

"Uh..." Lyra was stunned by the robot that accompanied the fashionista. PON-E's face had switched from his typical smile to a face of suspicion, turning a light shade of amber that matched Lyra's eyes. She snapped back into reality. "Uh, Rarity...who's this?"

"Who, this fellow?" Rarity said. She turned to the robot, who faced her as well. "Why don't you tell them?"

PON-E's face changed back to it's neutral, green state. "I am the Pony Operating Node, Model E. Or PON-E for short. I was created by--" the pony recited. As before, the end was garbled and unintelligible. The crowd gasped; many of them had never seen a computer like this, let alone hear one speak. Lyra backed up slowly, her eyes widened with fear.

"What in the Everfree...?" Lyra said softly to herself. PON-E's face turned back to suspicion, his laser slowly being raised. Lyra's eyes grew bigger, catching Rarity's attention. She looked behind her to see PON-E's screen slowly turning red and his laser beginning to charge. She quickly stepped in front of her friend, standing on her hind legs and blocking Lyra with her forelegs.

"PON-E, wait. She's friendly. She's a nice mare, aren't you Lyra?" Rarity said, frantic to prevent her friend from being vaporised. Lyra made her head visible from behind the white unicorn and gave a few small nods, forcing a smile. PON-E stood still for a moment, the crowd's breathing barely audible. The screen suddenly turned green, his familiar smile returning once more.

"New Ally Added: Lyra."

Rarity gave a smile while trying to shoo Lyra away. The mare slowly trotted off before going at a full gallop towards her home. The other ponies did the same, returning home post-haste, leaving the two alone.

"I think we'd best hurry to Twilight's." Rarity said to herself. She speed up her pace, arriving at the tree library in minutes. Twilight laid outside, her muzzle buried in a book. She was shaded from the sun by the tree's large branches and thick leaves. The tree was enormous, easily one of the biggest buildings in Ponyville. It's large oak trunk held a door and many windows. Rarity stopped just short of the library, turning to PON-E.

"You see that purple unicorn over there? She's a friend. An ally. Don't threaten her, okay?" Rarity said, moving the robots head to Twilight's direction.

"New Ally Added: Twilight."

"Good, now let's go. We can't have anymore trouble."

The two continued to Twilight's home; the sun slowly going behind the tree's leaves. Rarity arrived next to Twilight, who lifted her head from her book to greet her friend.

"Oh, hey Rarity!" Twilight said with a smile. "Wonderful day, huh? Who is that with you...?"

"Twilight, this is PON-E." Rarity said slowly, noticing the purple unicorns wide eyed stare. Rarity stepped out of the way, PON-E coming clearer into view. Twilight curled back, unsure of what she was seeing. "Don't be afraid Twilight, he's friendly. Honest. Tell her who you are, PON-E"

"I am the Pony Operating Node, Model E. Or PON-E for short. I was created by--" PON-E announced in his stilted voice.

"I'm sorry, what was that last part?" Twilight questioned, still suspicious of Rarity's new friend.

"I am the Pony Operating Node, Model E. Or PON-E for short. I was created by--" The end was still garbled, and Twilight looked with confusion.

"Why can't he say that last part?" she asked.

"I'm not sure. I found him last night and he wasn't able to say it then either."

Twilight walked up to him, PON-E standing as still as stone, his neutral face still displayed on his monitor. She inspected him, looking at the struts that made up his legs; wires lining all down his body. His pony shaped head that lacked a muzzle and instead held a screen. His metal body that was still covered in grime and filth. The fans were generating a small hum, and circuits beeped in sequence.

"I...I think you two should come in." Twilight said, opening the door to her library. Rarity commanded PON-E to follow and the three went inside. Twilight's home was always so organised; books lined shelves that seemed to stretch to the ceiling and not a single speck of dirt was to be seen.

"Sorry it's a bit dirty. Spike!" she yelled, quickly going through her books. The baby dragon walked into the lobby, a small ice cream in hand.

"What is it, Twil--Oh wow! What is that thing!"

"It's a robot pony, but that's not important. I need you to find the 'Roboteer's Guide to Robotics'."

The small dragon thumbed through the 'R' shelf, quickly finding the book and throwing it Twilight's way. The purple unicorn opened the book and flipped through the pages. "What did PON-E stand for again?" she asked.

"I am the Pony Operating Node, Model E. Or PON-E for short. I was cre--" PON-E was cut-off by Twilight.

"I don't need the whole thing." she said, feverishly flipping to the page. "Here's a passage on the PON model of robots. 'Not much is known about these robots. It is unclear where they were made or who made them, but it is estimated there are 15 robots over 5 models. The E-Model is the rarest one to date.' This doesn't really tell us anything about him." Twilight said, disheartened.

"Well, at least I have the rarest model. Maybe my true element is Luck." Rarity giggled to herself.

"Hmm." Twilight thought to herself. "I may know someone who can help. Spike, take a letter." The baby dragon quickly grabbed paper and a quill. He gave the tip of the quill a small lick and stood read to scribe Twilight's letter.

"I have something you might find interesting.

Twilight."

Spike finished the letter and sent it off with a blast of his fire breath.

"And now we wait." Twilight said.

"That letter seemed a little vague. Who was it even t--" Rarity was cut-off by the swing of a door. The three quickly looked to see who it was. A figure stood in the doorway, his features masked by glare from Celestia's sun.

"I hear you have something I might find interesting." a voice said. "Oh. We meet again, PON-E."