• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 2,180 Views, 35 Comments

To Soar - ImpossibleReflection



Rainbow Dash has adopted Scootaloo(with a little help from Discord), and now Rainbow Dash must help her do something she never though she would be able to do. Fly. . .

  • ...
2
 35
 2,180

To remember(Edited)

"Surprise!"

The Sugar Cube Corner was decorated for a party, a banner hung from the rafters "Congrats Scoots+Dash on new fami"

"Hey Dashie, and Scootaloo! Do you like it? unfortunately I ran out of room on the banner."

The beginning of the Pinkie proclaimed "Family Formation Festival" finally allowed what was happening to sink in for Scootaloo. She stood there motionless, eyes locked onto the banner. Even as her vision became slightly blurry she continued to stare, a familiar wetness running down her face.

"Scoots? Are you okay," The words broke Scootaloo out of the daze to see the chromatic pegasus who asked the question.

In response Scootaloo clung to Rainbow Dash. "Thank you." She squeezed as if she feared letting go would cause everything around her to undo itself. Once they had managed to actually get Scootaloo off of Rainbow Dash, with sugary bribes, the party went swimmingly.

After the party had ended everypony had gone home with a smile on their faces.

Rainbow Dash flew Scootaloo home on her back. The tired filly firmly grasping around Rainbow Dash's neck, laying in between her wings. After a few minutes of flight they landed softly on the porch of Rainbow Dash's cloud mansion. She opened the door to the sparsely decorated, but not empty, entry hall.

"Okay squirt, we should probably get to bed." Dash stated letting Scootaloo off of her back.

Scootaloo groaned at this.

"But, tomorrow's a Saturday so we can hang out all day." Dash said with a grin.

Scootaloo immediately perked up at this, "YAY!"

"And since we live in a cloud house I figured I would finally teach you to fly." Rainbow Dash said with a proud smile.

Scootaloo's face fell at that comment and she hung her head, "Oh."

Dash noticed the rapid change in demeanor, "Whoa kiddo, what's wrong?"

"I-I Can't... Never mind, I'm just going to go to bed," and with that Scootaloo bolted up the stairs to her new room shutting the cloud door violently nearly destroying the door.

Scootaloo hopped onto her bed as tears started to well up from her eyes.

"Scoots? What's wrong?" Dash spoke from the other side of the door.

"Nothing!"

"Whatever it is, you can tell me." Rainbow Dash spoke softly.

"No!" Scootaloo shouted from her bed.

"I can hear you crying, I'm coming in."

"No!" Scootaloo ran and locked the door.

Rainbow tugged on the handle a few times, "Scoots you may have locked the door, but this house is made of clouds, I can just tear a hole in the wall and put the wall back together later, so are you going to let me in, or am I going to have to give you a door that doesn't close."

"I don't care, don't come in."

I really don't want to tear an entire doorway, dash looked at the door, getting a much lazier, and faster, idea.

Scootaloo Jumped as a small hole was kicked in the door frame, right where the doorknob once was. Dash then pushed open the unhindered door. Rainbow Dash's face was not angry, nor displeased. The expression was clear,Her eyebrows were tilted up, a small unimposing frown on her snout, she was worried. The pegasus mare had just adopted Scootaloo, and the first mention of flight she runs off crying. Rainbow Dash always wondered why the orange filly never flew on her own. She had her suspicions for a while now as normal colts and fillies could already fly. This seemed to be reinforcing those suspicions in her mind.

After Rainbow Dash had pushed the door open, Scootaloo had put her head back down into the pillow to muffle her sobs and hide her face. She pretended to not notice Dash walking over to her, she didn't acknowledge her being there until Dash had picker her up and wrapped her forelegs around her, followed by her wings as another layer of comfort. Just as Dash's mother had done to her when she was upset.

Rainbow Dash stroked Scootaloo's mane as she sobbed into her shoulder. "You're not able to fly are you?"

Scootaloo shook her head.

Rainbow dash hugged her closer, "It's okay Scootaloo, I'm here for you."

"Plzzz dnnn lvvv" Scootaloo cried into Rainbow Dashed shoulder.

"What was that?" Rainbow asked, in the most calming voice she could muster.

Scootaloo separated her head from the blue shoulder. Looked up at dash with tears running down her face, "Ple-ease, do-on't lea-eave me."

"I would never leave you Scoots, you should know that."

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. I promise." Dash reassured Scootaloo, "And what could possibly give you the idea, that I, Rainbow Dash, loyalty incarnate, would ever leave somepony as awesome as you"

Scootaloo buried her face into Rainbow Dash's chest again, "Because they did when they found out."

"Who?"

Scootaloo's eyes bulged open after realizing what she had just said, and tried to hid her face in Rainbow Dash's fur. It didn't take Rainbow Dash long to figure out that she was probably talking about her parents. Rainbow dash thought it utterly despicable to abandon a filly because she can't fly.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Scootaloo shook her head into Rainbow Dash's chest.

"Alright Scoots, but if you change your mind I am right here."

They sat that way for several minutes, "I think tomorrow, I we are going to go to the hospital, and see if there is anything we can do."

Scootaloo had stopped crying, but still had her face buried in Rainbow Dash's fur.

"I promise, that if there is anything I can do, I will do it."

"Thank you Dash, you really are the coolest pony who ever lived." Scootaloo said looking up at Dash.

"Are you ready to talk about it?"

"I think so, but there isn't much to tell."

"I think it will help anyway." Dash reassured.

"Well It all started when I was just a foal, just old enough to speak, old enough," Scootaloo sniffed, "To remember."

_-~/|\~-_

"I am worried about Scootaloo, Doctor, she hasn't started flying yet, and I'm worried, she should have started almost a year ago." Spoke a female pegasus leading a small orange filly.

"Understandable concern ma'am, I will run a few tests to see if I can find any problems." He said, then he turned to Scootaloo, "Follow me little filly, and if your good, you'll get a lollipop."

So the doctor proceeded to take X-rays of the fillies wing for any problems with bone structure. He felt the wings to check for any major muscle problems and took some blood for blood work.

After all the exams he took her back to her birth mother, "Well her muscle structure is very good, though you will have to come back later today to see the results of the other tests I performed."

"Thank you doctor."

The day passed and the mare brought back her daughter to see the results of the tests. When they returned for the follow up visit the doctor's bright face sagged a bit at the sight of the pair. "Ah yes, Scootaloo. Have a lollipop," he gave the filly a large lollipop and directed the mare to turn around for some privacy from the foal, "I am afraid there is a problem, and there isn't a medical procedure for her condition." The doctor Looked back to the young Scootaloo enjoying her sugary treat.

Unfortunately it didn't Prevent Scootaloo from overhearing, "The bones of a normal pegasus are hollow, and after looking at an X-ray of her, I can see, hers are solid, like an earth pony or unicorn. She won't be light enough to take flight, her bones won't allow it. I'm... I'm sorry." The doctor tried to console the mother, this was the part of the job he despised.

The next day Scootaloo's mother woke her up, "Hey, wanna go for a trip for a little while? an adventure?"

"Yes!" the younger Scootaloo said.

So, Scootaloo's mother flew her to Ponyville where she wouldn't be in danger of falling from a cloud, and took her to a wooden building. She opened the door and walked inside, "Hello is anypony in here?"

"Yes," spoke a light brown mare with a darker brown mane as she walked down the hall, "My name is Kind Heart, I am the caretaker here. How can I help you miss?"

"Well," The pegasus mare said with a hushed voice, "I can't take the responsibility of being a parent, I am dropping off my daughter." The mother tried her best to not show her broken heart, and was failing horribly.

Kind heart seemed saddened by this, running an orphanage is almost the opposite of being a parent. It's sad when they show up, but happy when they leave. "Alright, I'll get the paperwork miss...?"

"Spitfire."

_-~/|\~-_

"Wait, Spitfires your mother?!" Dash asked incredulously.

Scootaloo nodded once.

Author's Note:

Edited.