• Published 17th May 2013
  • 11,128 Views, 785 Comments

Brushed Away - TheVClaw



For Troy the Gryphon, life in Equestria wasn't exactly as fulfilling as he imagined on his own. However, after volunteering to help out with a storm prepping project, he discovers a pony who helps to change everything.

  • ...
33
 785
 11,128

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty-Six: The Son and the Moon

Over the past few months, Canvas had encountered enough strange and unexpected events to fill a large book; encountering multiple princesses, becoming a famous artist, falling in love with an opera-singing gryphon, you name it. But an all-powerful alicorn standing right in his bedroom... that was a new one.

Luna stood before him in all of her majestic glory against the darkness, and Canvas could only blink in confoundment. The question of why she’d be here in the first place concerned him.

"Do you know why I am here?"

Canvas slowly shook his head. He looked over at Troy, frozen in time along with everything else in sight. He tried to reach out and touch his lover, only to feel a resistance between him and Troy. He could even see a strange ripple between them as he did so.

"Am I... dreaming?"

"Yes, you are. I, however, am indeed in this space with you. I am able to enter the dreams of ponies, as is one of my duties as the Princess of the Night."

Canvas nodded in understanding and sat up. He'd heard of Luna being capable of this before, but he never would've thought that this would happen to him of all ponies.

"Canvas, do you know the reason why I am here right now?"

Canvas almost shook his head again, but then he pieced it together. The realization made his heart grow heavy.

"I want to speak with you about your father, Canvas."

Canvas' face scrunched in at hearing that word, and he had to look away from her. He could never think of Copper that way after everything he'd done, especially after what Troy said earlier. Canvas spoke in a faint and bitter tone.

"He's not my father."

A strong silence filled the frozen air. Canvas felt no remorse for such a declaration. Before the Princess could respond, Canvas continued harshly.

"I did everything for him. I spent so much time trying to make him proud of me, but it didn't matter to him..."

Luna kept a blank expression as she listened, unnoticed by the stallion. Canvas' anger built up once more as it all came back, and any guilt that may have sprouted withered away. All the more so as he did his best to smother the grief from those memories, his voice cracking in the process.

"I spent so much of my life trying to be a good son for him… and he threw me out! He nearly beat me to death, h-he destroyed my art! And he disowned me! He disowned me for something that wasn't even a choice! After everything I've done, h-he took away everything because… because I'm gay."

Canvas closed his eyes. He was unsure of whether that was an appropriate detail to bring up to the princess, but Luna stood still. Slowly, Canvas' face changed from sadness to an even stronger rage, the pain of the past fueling its fire.

Exhaling deeply, Canvas opened his eyes again to look right into Luna’s.

"I… I hate him."

Canvas had plenty more to say, but he kept his muzzle shut. As for Luna, she expected a reaction akin to this, but was still surprised to see such loathing. Alas, she didn’t try to show it.

"Canvas, I know about what happened to you that night. I looked into the recollections of ponies from Gallop Creek, and I can understand why you would feel that way. However, I also looked into the recollections for what happened after that night as well. I saw what your…”

Luna paused for a moment, then decided to change her words for Canvas' sake.

"…. what Copper Fields had done after you left. He truly meant everything he told you today, Canvas."

Canvas looked down at his hooves, unsure of what to think. He already figured that Copper wasn't lying. Still, it wasn't enough to forgive him. Not even selling his house was enough to make him forget the suffering he had to endure.

"It doesn't matter... He never should've done any of that to me in the first place. It doesn't change how I feel about him."

Canvas looked up at Luna again, conveying a stern honesty.

"I meant every single word that I said to him."

Another moment of silence passed. Luna's gaze faltered as she sighed, and closed her eyes.

"Canvas, I really think you should see for yourself what happened to Copper after you left."

Canvas could tell that Luna wasn't being flexible. The entire room rippled around them., and his bedroom disappeared and turned into another place.

Lifting himself to his hooves, Canvas no longer felt the blankets from his nest underneath him. Instead, he found himself standing on a muddy road. They were in Gallop Creek again, and in front of his old home no less.

Canvas started to breathe heavily. He could see several torn pieces of his paintings in the front yard, all of which were now useless, soaked wads in the wet grass. The sun was just rising behind him and Luna, which meant that this was supposed to be the morning after that terrible night.

Canvas glanced over at the drugstore next door, where the shopkeeper was putting his potted plants back outside. He looked morose behind his grey-coated face, even more when he looked over at Canvas' home. It became clear to Canvas that neither he nor Luna were seen by him. Suddenly, a blood-curdling scream caught the attention of them all.

"NOOOOOO!!"

The door to his old home burst open, almost breaking off at the hinges. Copper ran out of the house, terrified and obviously recovering from a major hangover. Canvas grew more upset upon seeing Copper's hooves, still stained with his blood. Copper kept going, running out onto the muddy road and screaming his head off.

"CANVAS!! CANVAS!!"

Copper ran right past both Canvas and Luna, leaving his front door wide open while frantically screaming out his son’s name. Looking over at Canvas, Luna saw him keeping a hateful stare on his father, making her feel uneasy.

"This was only five hours after you left town, Canvas."

Canvas breathed in deeply, still upset.

"It took your father less than a night to know that he did wrong, to realize what he did to you."

Canvas looked down at the destroyed art on the lawn. He didn’t want to look at the other ponies in the neighborhood, who were now all looking out from their doors and windows at Copper. With a glow of her horn, Luna made their surroundings ripple again. Canvas’ hooves now stood in a patch of wet grass.

Canvas looked up and gasped. He was in the graveyard, by his mother's grave. Canvas winced and put a hoof to his mouth. The tombstone of Blowing Winds had a dark red stain across it; the blood he left behind.

He turned away, and that’s when he noticed the grave-keeper, a dark-purple pegasus stallion, looking around the property. The stallion then overheard Copper’s screaming as he ran into the graveyard.

Copper knew his son spent a lot of his time around here after she died, so he ran at full speed toward his wife’s tombstone. His hooves brushed against the wet grass, washing away the mud and blood. He quickly spotted it, and then stopped at the sight of his son's blood stained against the stone. Copper almost fell on his flank as he put a hoof to his mouth, mortified. With Canvas and the grave-keeper watching, Copper stumbled toward a nearby tree and threw up.

After taking a moment to breathe, Copper tried getting closer to the grave, tears coming down his face. However, when he got within ten feet, a surprisingly strong gust of wind blew against him. Both Canvas and the grave-keeper had difficulty staying in place due to the wind’s strength, while Copper was blown several feet away.

Luna didn't seem to have any difficulty standing her ground. Her attention remained on Canvas, who was now looking at the situation with wide eyes and a hoof held up against the wind. Copper looked at the tombstone with pained terror, and cried out remorsefully.

"I'm sorry!" His eyes struggled to stay open as he shouted. "I'm so sorry! I didn’t mean to--"

An even stronger gust of wind blew Copper onto his back. He rolled back onto his hooves, and then looked out toward the road that went out of town. His tear-stained face grew determined. He turned back toward the grave, ignoring the wind blowing him away.

"I'm going to find him! I'm gonna find him, honey! I swear!"

With that, Copper rushed out, running as fast as he could toward the town limits.

Luna changed the scene once more. Now they were high up in the skies, standing on top of a cloud. Canvas wasn't used to his hooves being on a cloud (he felt like he was going to fall through at any moment), but his attention was quickly grabbed by the sound of several galloping ponies underneath him.

Canvas carefully looked down to see several stallions running down a dirt road with a cart. He immediately recognized them as old friends of Copper. They were all rushing as fast as they could down the unfamiliar road. Canvas located a nearby sign, which indicated that he and Luna were almost eighty miles outside of Gallop Creek. This confused him, until he noticed a shape in the distance. His eyes widened as he saw what, or who, it was.

Copper lay passed out on the side of the road, struggling to keep his hooves moving while breathing as hard as he could. As soon as the other stallions ran up to him, Copper struggled against them while they tried to put him in the cart, thrashing against his own exhausted body and speaking in a gasping wheeze.

"Godda findim! Please… I gotta… I gotta find my boy."

"You need to pull yourself together, Copper!" shouted one of the stallions, a light-blue pegasus who Canvas knew as Cloud Thresher. "We have a search party going on right now! We're trying to find your son, I swear, but you can't keep pushing yourself like--"

"I HAVE TO FIND HIM!" With the last of his energy, Copper tried jumping out of the cart. Knowing he could certainly die if he kept this up, Cloud Thresher threw the both of themselves into the cart. He held him down with his hooves while shouting to the others.

"Get to the hospital now! I'll hold him down!"

Without hesitation, the other stallions pulled the cart. Copper struggled against his friend's weight all the while, screaming his head off.

Luna hoped that Canvas was starting to understand by now, although it was difficult to tell from his flat expression. She moved them to another place, within the waiting room of a hospital. Canvas now watched Cloud Thresher pacing in the room, looking worried while keeping his gaze on the linoleum floor beneath his hooves.

Before he could start pulling at his orange mane, a group of ponies caught his attention. He ran up to them, and when he took in the group’s morosity, Cloud Thresher's worry became more obvious.

"We haven’t found Canvas anywhere,” said a dark-grey stallion in the front. "We managed to look through every town up to Appleloosa, but we haven’t found anything."

"Dammit!” Cloud Thresher threw his hoof against the wall and clenched his eyes shut. “I can't tell him that! Copper's been running himself ragged for the past three days trying to find--"

A shrill scream caught everypony’s attention. They looked over to see three nurses trying to hold down Copper. Dressed in a hospital gown and with several tubes still attached to his body, the green stallion pushed himself against the three separate magical auras in an attempt to leave.

Copper ignored their orders to stop, and didn’t notice the squirts of his blood coming out from some of the tubes.

"Let me the buck go!” shouted Copper. He managed to break free from the auras, making it a few more feet before two large earth pony security guards pinned him against the floor. Copper tried punching one of the guards, only to miss and stumble to the ground. His forelegs were quickly pinned behind his back.

"Get off me, Goddess-Dammit! I need to get him! I need to find my son!!”

A hypodermic needle carried by an aura quickly shot past Canvas and Luna, making its way into his neck. While the dosage was quickly administered to Copper, Cloud Thresher looked on with growing unease as he watched his friend slowly move less against his restraints. With one last large jolt, Copper passed out on the ground, leaving everypony in the hospital room scared silent of the unconscious pony lying in his own blood.

Canvas stood at the spot, looking completely stunned. Luna finally spoke up.

"This happened around the time Troy found you.” The princess watched Canvas slowly turn toward her, his eyes still bulging. "He was sent to the hospital three separate times from exhaustion before you were found, Canvas. And from what I've seen, this was the first time he was able to sleep."

Canvas looked back toward the crowd who watched Copper's limp body being carried back to his room. Copper's unconscious face carried a look of despair, and upon seeing it, Canvas put on a bitter scowl.

Despite his expression, Canvas' shaky breathing was still noticed by the princess. She knew that this was starting to get to him. Luna quickly changed the setting again, moving them back to the front of Canvas' home. All of the destroyed paintings were gone, and the unkempt lawn was no longer soaked and muddy.

"This happened a week later, while you were still unconscious at Ponyville Hospital."

Canvas stayed silent as he took in his surroundings. Copper stood in front of his home with a large cardboard box next to him. Based on how faded his green fur was becoming, as well as the dark bags under his eyes, Canvas could tell that Copper had barely slept. He stood by the side of the road, holding a bottle of bourbon in his mouth and pouring the contents into the storm drain.

Copper threw the empty bottle into the box. Canvas' eyes widened at seeing how many empty bottles were inside. He reached over for his last bottle of vodka (Canvas remembered it being a really expensive brand), and didn’t even hesitate as he opened it with his teeth and began pouring it into the drain as well.

Canvas always knew that Copper was a heavy drinker, a habit he picked up quickly after his wife died. He tried to get him to drink less from time to time, but it was always a discussion that ended with him being told to mind his own business. Now, Canvas could only gawk as he watched Copper pour out his entire liquor cabinet without apprehension.

"He was trying to find you for over a week straight after you left,” said Luna. "This was the first time he came back home since you left, and this was the very first thing he did."

Canvas only blinked, almost not noticing Cloud Thresher as he ran past him toward Copper.

"Copper, where the buck have you been!?" shouted Cloud Thresher. "Oh, Sweet Mother of Celestia, are you seriously throwing out all your booze!? I haven't seen you for five days, and this is what you're doing--"

"Never again!” screamed Copper, throwing the empty bottle of aged scotch in the box among the others. He grabbed another bottle.

"Never bucking again! I never listened to him, and look what happened! I should've listened to my boy, I should've quit a long time ago!! I should've quit before…”

Copper clenched his eyes shut for a moment, gritting his teeth while trying not to tear up. He then screamed and threw the bottle against the drain. The bottle smashed open, sending shards of broken glass and whiskey everywhere. Cloud Thresher stepped back, terrified at his friend breaking down.

"Please, you have to pull yourself together! I know you feel horrible, and I'm so sorry about Canvas!"

Cloud Thresher put a hoof on Copper's shoulder, hoping to calm his crying friend down. "But Copper, you can't keep this up! You haven't been at work for a week, and the harvest is coming up! I know you want to find your son, and I'm trying to help as much as I can, but if you don't go back to work soon--"

"I already quit."

Cloud Thresher's eyes widened in shock.

"W-what!?"

"I quit.” Copper grabbed the last of the full bottles, holding it in his hoof as he poured it out. "I don't give a buck. I already pulled out all my savings so I can take a train in the morning. I figure he might’ve made it to Baltimare, so I'm heading there first."

"You… you can't be serious!" Cloud Thresher looked downright dumbfounded. "I know you want to get Canvas back, but don't you think this is going a bit too far--"

"HE'S MY BUCKING SON!!” screamed Copper. He grabbed Cloud Thresher by the shoulders, holding him a few inches from his face."Canvas is all that I bucking have, and I'm not going to lose him!"

Copper slowly pulled back, keeping his head hung low as more tears came down. Cloud Thresher stood silent while Copper’s voice came out in a whimper.

"I bucked up… and I can’t live with myself. I just can't, Thresher!"

Despite not wanting to be seen hugging another stallion in public, Cloud Thresher held Copper close while he cried against his shoulder. He could understand his friend’s guilt. Eventually, he let go.

"Copper, I know I can't stop you, but you need to think this over! Do you really think you can keep this up forever?"

Copper pushed himself away and stepped back, glaring at him. Cloud Thresher knew his friend's mind was made up.

"I… I just hope you know what you're doing..."

Copper nodded. He picked up the last bottle: a vintage bottle of champagne. He held it in his hoof for a moment, and then looked over at his friend.

"Cloud... I need you to take this."

Looking at the bottle, Cloud Thresher gasped when he realized exactly what it was. It was the bottle Copper had left unopened since his wedding.

"I… I can’t do that, Copper! You've had that since your wedding! I--"

"I can’t drain it. I can’t smash it. But I can't hold onto it… Please, Cloud Thresher. Just hold onto it for me."

Seeing Copper’s distress, Cloud Thresher closed his eyes and sighed. He couldn’t say no. He took the bottle from him, and could see his friend’s gratitude.

"I… I really hope you find your son, Copper. I mean it."

Copper only nodded before he walked back to his home, leaving the box of empty bottles out by the curb. Canvas stood by, his muzzle dropped. Cloud Thresher flew off past Canvas and Luna. The princess waited a moment while watching Canvas process everything he just saw and heard. Then, she changed the scene one more time.

It was the graveyard once more. Looking around, Canvas didn’t see anyone else, and the sun had begun to set behind them. Canvas looked at the gravestone, seeing that his blood had been washed away a long time ago. Unfortunately, there was still a slight discoloration where it used to be.

Canvas felt his eyes well up. He looked away at what he felt like was a scar he gave his own mom. He wanted to ask Luna about going somewhere else, but then saw Copper walk past him. He headed toward the gravestone with a large saddlebag over his back. Another strong gust of wind blew against him, but it didn’t phase him one bit.

"This was two weeks later,” said Luna. "After spending all of his savings to take the train to several different cities, he ended up selling his house to the bank to get more money."

Canvas turned back to Luna, wide-eyed and stunned at how quickly his father sacrificed everything he had. Canvas had been gone for almost seven months, but Copper gave up so much in less than one. Canvas then noticed a bright figure flying in from the distance. Luna turned toward it as well.

"This happened after Celestia ran an investigation in Gallop Creek regarding what happened to you. Copper was gone at the time, so she waited until he came back one last time to confront him."

The Princess of the Sun landed at the graveyard entrance. Her face gave a look of pure intensity as she walked past the rows of tombstones. She made her way toward Copper, who now sat in front of the grave.

The wind still blew against Copper’s face, but he simply stared at the tombstone, and the stain his son's blood made. He opened one of the pockets on his saddlebag, looking around inside while speaking to the tombstone.

"I don't know when I'll be back.” Celestia came closer, but Copper didn’t notice her. "I don’t know if I'll ever be back…”

Copper pulled out a razor blade with his teeth. Celestia paused for a moment, standing beside Canvas as they both looked at him with worry. Copper brought his determined gaze back at the grave, and the winds began to die down.

"... Bud… Ah'm nod gunna stahp, honeh."

Copper then raised a hoof, holding it against his face, and closed his eyes. Both Canvas and Celestia looked on in stunned silence as they watched him use the razor to cut open his hoof.

Copper winced from the pain, but he didn't care about the stream of blood running down his foreleg. He spit the blade back into his bag, and looked at the grave once more. He pressed his hoof against the stone, keeping it in the exact spot his own son's blood was. Copper felt tears roll down his face, and he spoke with utmost sincerity and pain.

"I swear… I bucking swear, I'm going to find him. I don't care how long it takes. I don’t care how much I have to give up… but I'm not going to lose him, honey… I'm not going to lose our boy."

A line of blood rolled down the tombstone.

"I promise… I promise I will do everything I can to find Canvas! I… I know you'll never forgive me for what I did...”

Copper’s face became one of pure self-hatred. The wind had died down completely.

"... I am so sorry, honey… I know you'll never love me again…”

Copper pressed his head against the grave, clenching his eyes shut. A few seconds of silence later, and Copper continued.

"... But I will find Canvas. That I will swear by with my bucking life! I just can’t lose him… I can’t lose him like I lost you...”

Several sobs escaped him. Canvas, much like Celestia right beside him, was left speechless. They both watched him remove his hoof from the stone. He then pressed it against his other hoof, kneeled down against the gravestone, and bowed his head. Closing his streaming eyes, he spoke up faintly to the heavens.

"I know that I did wrong, and I know I don’t deserve anything for what I did… but I only ask for one thing...”

Keeping his hooves pressed together, Copper looked up at the sky and prayed.

"Please… please, Celestia…”

Celestia's eyes widened as she listened, not moving an inch.

"... I never asked for a thing in my life from you, but… please… please make sure Canvas is safe.”

Luna watched Canvas the whole time, now also shedding tears.

"Even if I never see him again… even if I die before I ever find him… please don't take him away. Don’t let my child die before me.”

Exhaling deeply, Copper wiped his eyes dry and lifted himself from the grave, turning away with his saddlebag. Right before he could face her, Celestia's horn lit up, turning herself invisible as she watched him walk past her toward the road. She didn't move at all while the stallion slowly limped out of the graveyard. Once far away enough, Celestia took off her invisibility spell and sighed, before flying off in the other direction.

Standing by himself, Canvas' tears hit the grass underneath him. Luna walked up, levitating a dark-purple cloth for him so he could wipe his face.

Canvas slowly nodded and took it, wiping off his tears as quickly as he could before giving it back to her. Canvas only stood in silence while keeping his gaze away from Luna.

"I know this is a lot to take in, but I hope you can see what this means for you."

Canvas stared at the grave that now had Copper's blood on it, feeling a growing uncertainty within him. Seeing how stricken with grief Copper was, all Canvas could think about was all the things he said to him in Ponyville.

Closing his eyes, Canvas tried to think of how to react while all of his memories circled around his head. That horrible night after his graduation, mixing with his hateful words during his confrontation, along with his recollections of what he just saw. Canvas' eyes started tearing up again. Luna hoped she could get him to listen even during his obvious struggle.

"Canvas, I really feel you should talk--"

"IT DOESN’T BUCKING MATTER!"

Luna flinched and backed away from him. Even with tears still streaming down his face, Canvas turned back toward her with a bitter glare through his trembling muzzle.

"Why are you showing me all of this!? After everything he did to me, after all the things he said, you really think any of this helps!? He still beat me! He still disowned me!!”

Canvas narrowed his eyes.

"Show what happened that night! Show him when he was beating me senseless! Show him as he ripped up all my paintings! Show him when he made me drive myself to bucking suicide! Go ahead, DO IT!!"

Luna understood what was happening. Canvas was using anger as a mask for his confusion. Nevertheless, Luna grew more agitated as his screaming continued.

"How could you just come up and show me this!? You really think seeing this will make me change my mind!? You think all this will make me think I can forgive him!? You can’t force me to accept an apology after he did something that wrong! You can’t force me to just forgive him! YOU CAN'T FORCE ME TO--”

"I AM NOT FORCING YOU TO DO ANYTHING!!!"

She didn’t want to resort to something as drastic as her Royal Canterlot Voice to take control of a situation. But judging from Canvas' stunned silence, it was effective enough.

Canvas stood in front of Luna, wide-eyed, literally shaking in his hooves. Luna took a moment to calm herself down enough to speak tranquilly, yet sternly.

"Canvas, I am not going to force you to do anything. I know very well what Copper did to you, and I understand why you would not want to forgive him."

Canvas nodded in spite of his fear.

"I can understand your pain, Canvas. I know what it's like. I can speak from experience what it's like to feel abandoned. To feel pain come from family, for a reason that doesn't seem just, and wanting to hurt them just as badly because of it.”

Canvas knew what she was referring to. Granted, he wasn't that familiar with the whole story of Nightmare Moon, but he learned enough to know that Luna could partially relate to him.

"However, if there's one thing I have learned, it is that accepting forgiveness is sometimes not nearly as hard as asking for it.”

Canvas blinked in uncertainty.

"Canvas, I can understand the pain you went through because of your father, but I can also understand Copper's pain as well."

Luna lowered her gaze to the ground, looking slightly more vulnerable.

"I… I know how it feels to hurt somepony who did not deserve it… I know how it feels to hurt your family… I know how it feels to realize I've done wrong, and to want nothing more than to be forgiven for my actions.”

Canvas looked away for a moment, feeling hesitant over what to think.

"I hurt… so many ponies… and I lost so many of them while I was banished. I never got the chance to redeem myself in time for many of my friends to see… I never got to show them that I could be better in their lifetimes."

Even though she wasn't crying, Canvas could tell how heartbreaking this was for her. She looked back up at Canvas sullenly.

"My older sister was the only pony left I could apologize to. After a thousand years, she was the only friend I had left. Even though I did something beyond terrible to so many ponies, and so many friends… she still forgave me… and that was the greatest thing to happen to me."

Seeing a glimmer of hope in her eyes, Canvas began to understand what she was trying to say.

"It took me over a thousand years to realize I did wrong...

“It didn’t even take your father half a day."

Luna slowly changed the setting so that they were now in a black void.

"All that I ask of you, Canvas, is to not let your past take over your present. I know it can be hard, or even impossible to forgive. But I can tell you that, in the end, it is a much better choice than to hold a grudge."

Canvas thought about her wisdom some more, and when he finally understood, he nodded with a faint smile. Knowing that her deed was finished, Luna’s horn began to glow, and the space between them shone brightly in a burst of white light. As it grew brighter, Canvas put a hoof over his eyes.

After several seconds of clenching his eyes shut, Canvas realized he was no longer standing, but lying on his side. He slowly opened his eyes to find that he was back in his nest with Troy, who was still holding him tightly against his chest. Troy’s breathing could be heard now, but the rain had stopped. A clear night's sky was the window’s point of view.

The alarm clock showed that it was almost five in the morning, meaning that the sun would be up soon. Even so, Canvas felt wide awake. He knew that his dream was beyond real.

He knew what he had to do. Canvas closed his eyes and savored the warmth of his lover one more time. Then, he slowly lifted the gryphon's forelegs off him, and carefully got out of the nest.

He then took a deep breath, walked down the stairs, and made his way out of the house...

Author's Note:

Just so any newer readers are aware, I've recently been undergoing a big project to turn the Brushed Away series into physical books for individual sale. Because of that, I just wanted to make a quick note for which chapters have been revised so far, including this one.

I want to give my deepest thanks, as well as some well-deserved credit to my followers helping me out with this process, as well as Double R. Forrest for their proofreading credits. And if anyone is interested in helping out with making this project a reality, I highly recommend checking out my Official Ko-Fi page dedicated to it.

PreviousChapters Next