Chess Game of the Gods 1,442 members · 87 stories
Comments ( 248 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 248
Cloud_Surfer
Group Admin

You can run more than one den are involved, but you are going to have to explain why they are. Perhaps it was to lessen battles over resources from who clans dying to just a single person.

As for remembering shit, its a god, they tend to do what they want.

That's always a fun little tidbit that various authors mess around with. Technically they aren't supposed to DO anything for them, but the only real rule is that the god can't directly influence another piece dying. Everything else is frowned upon, and the gods aren't supposed to have any interaction, but no one really listens to that rule.

So subtlety is the best policy, good to know.
Also I was wondering which of the canon fics are most important to read. I am thinking about writing my own and am stuck when it comes to choosing which story to read first. I have already read yours, Rust's and Blackwing's stories as well as a couple of others.

Thethhron
Group Contributor

Myou've Got to Be Kidding Me is a good place to start. Has a lot of information about the world itself

Has there been a lot of story made about the nightmare moon incident?

The story 'from nobody to knightmare' has nightmare moon as one of its characters, and the story 'Shadows of a knight' also deals a little with nightmare moon.

Does anyone say anything about how the sisters fought each other or if there was some sort of war between them?

I'm not 100% sure you would have to ask one of the mods for that but I think if you go to the Chessverse history thread it talks about it briefly.

Thethhron
Group Contributor

From what I remember, there was a war, dubbed the Nightmare War. I'm sure someone will cover it eventually.

I figured out where I saw magic. There's a classification system in the Chessverse wiki. I'll default to that until someone tells me otherwise.

Not sure if it's been developed on much, but what is the economy of the world like?
I know gems in Equestria are a rarity at the moment but what about other precious metals or metals with functions like steel? Are there areas that lack all resources but get money through exporting people with peculiar talents and abilities and then importing the needed resources. Also, what is the currency of each country, is there a universal currency, and how much are they compared to a £ or $.

Maybe this should be part of a worldbuilding thread.

973064 bits seem to be universal among ponies, D-dogs and dragons. The d-dogs and dragons also use gems as currency and food

no idea on economy styles or values

Weeeman
Group Admin

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Bits

Cherries are freaking expensive :-/

As far as I know, there is not a "canon" economy. If some authors expanded upon how pony economy works it's up to them to share their ideas.

Cloud_Surfer
Group Admin

973064>>975397>>976819

There hasn't been much established in the sense of an overall economy, but bits do seem to be accepted currency for D-Dogs, Griffins, and Ponies, probably because gold is valuable no matter how you see it. Dragons don't really have an economy per-say since they generally just take what they want.

Is there anywhere I can look at the general worldbuilding that has been done? I am currently working through some of the fics but I was wondering if there were any documents or chapters that expanded the lands outside of Equestria, Gem Fido and the Gryphon Dominion.

Cloud_Surfer
Group Admin

Through Feline Eyes gives a decent view of the Feline Jungle. I don't think the other three areas of the Equestrian continent have been touched upon to much. What was Lost may have some information on those locations.

Okay thanks. It might be a good idea to have some form of worldbuilding pages on the wiki or a thread on the group to collect the known ideas and develop on them in case authors plan on using those areas.

I didn't realize what was wrong with your answer originally, but I was actually asking about the other main continents; Saddle Arabia, salt plains, the Southern Dessert and the Tundra.

Weeeman
Group Admin

I think that the ones who should make the worldbuilding articles on the wikia are the ones who did the worldbuilding itself: the authors. Unfortunately, many authors haven't even bothered to add information about their stories to the wikia and I have better things to do than pestering people to write on the wikia.

Yes, each word links to a different article.

You know what? I'm going to do exactly that: pestering people to write on the wikia.

Good luck with that

Weeeman
Group Admin

Ok, question here: Is the world named EQUIS or EQUUS? I'm using the first, but I have seen both :derpyderp2:

Question: Is the "Federation" (those evil aliens introduced in Omnius: Beast Within) still cannon? I know Nathan Traveler rewrote his story and erased that part, but I've seen them (or at least seen mention of them) in other works.

Cloud_Surfer
Group Admin

Nathan Traveler retconned the entire Federation. I'm unsure of other authors mentioning that group. Do you know which stories mentioned it?

990849 I'll have to look again; not even sure if they were cannon stories anyways. If I find out i'll let you know

Is Vinyl Scratch being used in canon? I know Trixie is so I'm sad I can't use her. I have a clever idea if Vinyl Scratch is being used anyway.

:scootangel:

We need need a list of who's in who's party. I'm pretty sure someone already used Octavia. Anyway I call dibs on Vinyl scratch.

Not that there aren't other lists and things to be done, like the world map, but I think this one is important for consistency.

Also has any of the stories explored anything south of the equator? What are we allowed to do with it if it isn't being used right now?

So what is the official canon for Latin Magic? I haven't finished Griffin the Griffin yet but I've got to the point where they discovered Latin Magic.

Question is though is that I've read in one story is that any species can verbally command Latin Magic without a focus. Having a gem with magic gives an extra supply of magic but isn't necessary to cast it. Also latin can be used as a Runic Magic.

So is there an official stance or is it use as you see fit?871735

1018674 JJ Malcom has already claimed Vinyl (and a few others); you could probably still use her for a couple chapters, but I doubt you could use her long-term

Cloud_Surfer
Group Admin

The list of party members is going to be worked on this weekend, I'll make sure of it. Unfortunately Octavia and Vinyl are both being used for a canon story. What was Lost by Troutking explores the southern half of the world a bit.

As for your questions regarding Latin based magic, only those that are already magically inclined and have a natural focus ( i.e. Dragon's blood, Unicorn Horn) can use Latin Magic without a magically charged gem. As for Runic magic, I have no idea about that.

Weeeman
Group Admin

Just like English and Equestrian are the same language because of magic, Latin is also the tongue of the dragons, which they used in the past and has been forgotten by most, if not all of them. Also, what Cloud said.

Thethhron
Group Contributor

There is a forum thread which contains people and their parties.

Once I'm done with the timeline, if I'm able, I could make a list of parties on the wikia.

Once I'm done with the timeline, it might be a good idea to include that in the canon authors requirements or something. Just a thought.

If I plan on adding a new species into the Southern Dunes, do I need to write a species key for them? I plan on making one for myself anyway but is there anything more specific you think I should put on it that isn't on the list already?

Thethhron
Group Contributor

If it's a new sentient species, you need to write a key. There is a thread somewhere with rules and a template for introducing a new species.... Here:

"If you wish to bring a new species in, you MUST write up a key for that species to be reviewed by the Admins. They will then make a decision as to whether or not it will be allowed with comments explaining our decision. This key will require the following

a) Be in a shared Google Document (or some other sharing online document) with the ability to add comments for the Admins.

b) Species name

c) Population (even if its just your single chesspiece)

d) Natural Attributes of the Species ( size, strength, magical talents, flight speed, land speed must be inlcuded when applicable. Size should be compared to average pony [i.e. Mane 6 size])

e) Any special skills or power you Piece will have NOT common amongst others in their race. (i.e. Komodo’s black shield’s, Griffin’s magic, Echo’s fire claws, etc. )

f) a brief history of the species (is it currently extinct, was it in monster stories for ponies, did they go to war at all)

g) Any other information you feel is needed. "

I was wondering about things I could add that would make it easier when looking through it.

Thethhron
Group Contributor

Line breaks? if it's a chess piece, split up powers into multiple paragraphs. Organize species characteristics by physical, mental and magical. stuff like that

Probably could have worded it better. Never mind, everything is sorted for the moment, found my solution in the world building alliance. Also shouldn't it be sapient not sentient?

Thethhron
Group Contributor

Erm... No i mean sentient. Sapeitn kinda means wise. Sentient means it has higher level thought processes.

Sapient is what Humans are sentient is almost every other animal.

Thethhron
Group Contributor

....Looked it up. That definition has changed since I last checked. Sapience it is then.

Thethhron
Group Contributor

My body is ready. Is yours?

http://chessgame-of-the-gods.wikia.com/wiki/Chessverse_Timeline

It is done.

And therefore ready to be put up for everyone to use. Wherever that may be.. If you want, I'll message all the authors letting them know stuff is done.

Thethhron
Group Contributor

List of party members created

Here

If I have not read every canon story, may I begin my story in a small settlement in an obscure location? Maybe a small colony or outpost town, perhaps a mining settlement? Or a city built up by a company to provide housing it its workers? A good part of the story will remain there as my character adjusts to its situation and new body.

Thanks for beginning this group and the concept behind it. You guys are great. :moustache:

Weeeman
Group Admin

I don't think Equestria's industry is developed enough for companies to be big enough to have cities for their workers. With that said, choosing a location that hasn't been used before is a great idea.

1142110 Thanks for that. I had no idea just how developed they were, so this helps significantly. :rainbowkiss:

Is it too late to write a possible canon story? I'm thinking about writing a CGOTG story then attempt to catch up with the main storyline.

If it is possible will I need to place my piece near the beginning?

Or can I start with the most recent event pertaining to the main storyline?

Cloud_Surfer
Group Admin

You can start writing your story whenever you wish to in the Storyline. If you start near the beginning, you have to make sure not to do anything that screws with established timeline. A lot of people avoid this route because it can be a little restraining.

As for the criteria, after you have had your piece approved and your story regulated, you have to have over 4 chapters and a certain word count to have your story reviewed on the Canon Waiting List. Ultimately the group Admins get to decide if it is canon after the Head-Regulator reads the content and gives us a run-down on if they think it should or not.

Thanks for the information,

Right now I'm still brainstorming, probably won't start till next month.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but, what's the average size of a griffin in the Chessverse? I've hit a point of stagnation in my story and I need this information desperately! :twilightoops:

If you go Here this will give you some information about the sizes of various creatures in the Chessverse.

1279904 Many thanks!

Oi, just curious here, is it allowed for me to create a space station, or a floating city, aka Atlantis? Knowing how it'd screw with the entire damn thing a bit, It'd be nice to know.

There are floating cities (eg Cloudsdale) or are you talking about floating as in a boat city?

Also from what I've read no species on Equis is spacefaring so their shouldn't be any space stations. At one point before his rewrite Nathan Traveler had aliens in his story but they have now been removed.

No, I meant like anchored to the sea floor, with half the city underwater, half of it above water. Not like Cloudsdale, and the Space Station, is meant to be similar to the Moon, as a prison, where Celestia sends people she can't trust to have around, like Nightmare Moon. Make any sense?

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 248