Struggling Authors 3,674 members · 25,212 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
TMLP Pulps
Stories of crime westerns sci-fi and horror.
anarchywolf18 · 15k words  ·  17  2 · 400 views

I'm wondering if anyone wants to write in the anthology. If anyone is interested PM me I will give you more information on the anthology.

My main hangup with making a one-shot for this is that between the short and long descriptions, there are too many genres. Westerns and sci-fi can loosely go together, horror and sci-fi can go together, and westerns and detectives can loosely go together...but all four in the same fic? It's basically just character-driven violent stories, and so I worry about finding any sort of audience here with such a loose focus.

You don't have to write a violent story.

Maybe not, but then it won't even fit that very loose theming. It just doesn't seem like a great way to reach audiences, by being under this fic's banner, and that'd be even if the fic had numbers suggesting it was generally noticed a fair bit...

The reason for the many genres is because I'm in group called Pony Pulp Fiction.

I get the idea of pulp stories as a whole, I just don't see why there'd be a want to put such stories in as chapters within your particular story, rather than have them as standalones, unless someone was literally getting next to no attention on their stories.
I think at the very least, it would make more sense to create a new story, or multiple new stories with specific themes, to contain people's submissions; one big problem with using the particular story is that audiences often either only read the first few chapters, or expect them to dictate how the rest of the story will be, or at the very least, are there for what was in them specifically...but your story has already spent its first few chapters on only your writing, so other people's writing might be dismissed as too different from what any returning readers or new readers who read the first chapters first (most of them) want.

By the way, I think with more chapters, your fic would break the 6,000-word limit on stories being in that group...

Besides Scalp Hunter and The fool's festival the other stories were either written by people who don't write for this site or story's that already been published by the author.

Ah, so chapters 3 and 4 were by other authors; I suppose then the audience would be more accepting of change in writing style, at least. Still seems weird to me to use a story that's a few years old with very loose theming and little in the way of talking about its nature for this.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8