Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

So, someone apparently made this a thing in a Mass Effect/X-Com crossover.

I'm both entertained by the reference and slightly disturbed...

4448331 the troll is strong with this one

Ugh. That fic.... What a fucking piece of shit.
It's basically a rehash of Enemy Unknown, Enemy Within, Terror from the Deep, Apocalypse and Interceptor. But with the humans kicking the aliens' asses without even trying.

It's another one of THOSE fics, where humans curbstomp everyone, as if we don't have enough of THOSE already.

If you think about it, XCom!Humanity would curb-stomp the Citadel Council from ME. The last real threat they Citadel had before meeting humanity was the Krogan Rebellion, and that was centuries prior. Even then, that rebellion was smaller in comparison to all of those wars with humanity (when normalized). Not to mention that ME tech is basically a supped-up railgun, and compared to the plasma weapons developed during XCom: Enemy Unknown (reboot) and would be further developed with the successive wars, it would be seriously outclassed. Still, the Turians do put up a hell of a fight.

And, technically the story never said that XCom curb-stopped the XCom-universe aliens, rather it just noted that they happened in a timeline format. It didn't go into a lot of details. Still, MECs and G-Mods would definitely be a major boon to humanity, given that the XCom from the original series never had them, and make the fights somewhat easier.

It's just the wish fulfillment aspect that pisses me off. The aliens JOINED humanity after Uber Ethereal died?
No. Way. In. Fucking. Hell.
The Ethereals are said to be a hive mind, so the invasion wasn't just the Uber Ethereal's idea, but the plan of the ENTIRE Ethereal collective.

Plus, EIGHYTY-FIVE PERCENT of humanity is psionic? Where the hell did this come from? Didn't Vahlen say that only those with exceptional will power can become psionics? And by the end of the timeline, pretty much ALL of humanity are psionics. As if humanity with XCOM tech isn't OP enough...

Also, the turian bashing. I simply can't stand that.

If I remember correctly, he had the Uber Ethereal take over the Hive Mind, in an "evil dictator" kind of way ("how" it did that is definitely a plot hole, though). From there, he psionically dominated all of the other species, thus them seeing humanity as saviors (and willing to try help fix what they broke). I do think he went a little overboard with adding in all of the other crossovers and getting G-Mods from them, though.

As for the 85% psionic, I think he was trying to balance human psionics with the Citadel's biotics. I don't think he needed to do that, given how technologically slanted it is toward humanity.

Rule number one of writing a crossover is avoid making one universe look superior to the other.
(Unless one of the universes is Twilight.)
Plus, this guy can't seem to make up his mind whether his story is a parody or not. Does he seriously expect us to believe that the government would OK pet Chrysalids? Ones that actually ARE capable of fighting? And that Hasbro would make a gorey cartoon show about it? This can't be the same Hasbro that took down Fighting is Magic because it was too violent, right?

Rule number one of writing a crossover is avoid making one universe look superior to the other.

Yeah, which is the one thing I think needs to be fixed, and is the only real major issue it has. I love a good ME curb stomp fic every once in a while, but this one almost makes it too insane with all of the various GMods that come from other crossovers. It'd be better if it was just a pure XCom/ME cross with a canon psionics rate.

If I remember the story correctly (I've read several XCom/ME fics), they modified the Chryssalids to be calmed by the scent of any of the alliance races, so he actually covered that plot hole in a somewhat believable fashion. Also, you need to remember the context, as this humanity has had to fight off several alien invasions (of which, they would all come very close to succeeding). That would naturally make them more desensitized to violence (which, I think is taken to parody levels even in the original, unfortunately). That humanity and our humanity have two very different cultures.

As for the parody/serious. The one linked is a parody. The original is supposed to be serious, with some minor comedy elements (and is the one that has major issues with GMods from additional crossovers).

Here you go. A 'Mass Effect' and 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown' crossover done right. Pity it was never finished.

TimedRaven117
Group Contributor

I remember that. I'm doing my own fanfiction of MLP, X-Com, and Mass Effect.

First chapter alone i had a human child talk with his Unicorn friend while going to the train station, buying some apples from a Sectoid vendor, meeting a n Ethereal with a pet chibi chrysalid then the Unicorn and boy gave the chryslid bellyrubs.

I just wish more people would give my story a try. But that's what i get for putting it on Fanfiction.net as an X-Com mass effect crossover and rated M to be safe. I did the most I could possibly do to get the least amount of exposure possible.

FanFic.net has horrible marketing/promotion ability. Still, X-Com/ME is a more traveled path than my second fic which was a Star Fox/C&C3 cross (of which, last I checked, had seven fics in it). It's the unfortunate problem with fanfiction in general.

Nonetheless, I did give your fic a read over (back on FanFic). I'm just waiting for it to get further along before I make any judgement, and for the mentioned prequel fic regarding the Equis First Contact War.

TimedRaven117
Group Contributor

Good point, X-Com/Me is very well liked and read.

And yes i remember your review from before. Thank you for it for it by the way, I hoe your enjoying my story so far.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12