The Conversion Bureau 1,319 members · 389 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Bit of fridge logic I've had recently is the HLF's name, I realized that the name doesn't really make sense because Humanity isn't being oppressed so there's nothing to be liberated. Sure humanity is being threatened but that should require something a bit more esoteric don't you think? The Ponies for Earth's Rebirth is a pretty fancy name indicative of what they're trying to do. So what would be a good alternative for the HLF?

Human governments are all working with the ponies and are usually authoritarian dystopias.

If that's the lore than yeah I can see the logic. But could you elaborate on this collaboration

I mean technically it's different for each story, but the general lore is that the barrier arrives and starts eating earth, the ponies deny being behind it and offer to help humans survive, the governments cooperate with them to set up the eponymous Conversion Bureaus.

The HLF is certain that the ponies are lying and brainwashing people or replacing them with puppets or whatever, so they start out as a terrorist/resistance group trying to blow up the bureaus. Sometimes the government eventually realizes they're right (in stories where they're right), but at the start it's them against both worlds.

If we see these stories as a spectator (a reader), you may be right. But most of the time, the people in the story, or the people living in these universes will feel oppressed. Up to the author to be honest. If they want to use another name then so be it. The information about TCB is just the base. Anyone can go beyond that or use that base to form something unique in the end.

Why does North Korea call itself Democratic People's Republic of Korea even though it's not democratic?

It just sounds better than Humans Think Pony Stupid!

The HLF itself in lore was an anti-pony terrorist army that later became part of the human forces when it turned into all out war.

Humans do have plenty of reasons to feel oppressed in any universes where the barrier exists and the potion is one way only. And it's so much worse in universes like Chatty's, where the only thing remaining of your humanity is your memories. Human culture would then be annihilated through education: teachers would be specifically trained to educate young foals to "behave like proper ponies" and would systematically suppress human languages and traditions by punishing the children who practice them. Rinse and repeat and within three generations, nobody would exhibit human customs, and five more and you could probably revision the history books to suppress the memory of humanity down to myth.

Yeah but that feels more like an existential oppression? If a rogue planet was going to hit Earth we would be opressed by the despair but that's a bit more esoteric. If you wanted them to be an antagonistic force they could be called the Human Purity Front. If they're the good guys of the story then it would be preservation.

It would all probably depend on when was the potion weaponized. Truth be told,it makes sense to me that their ultimate objective is to create a reverse potion, so forcibly transformed humans could be liberated.

Good point. Also, chains fics

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11