The Conversion Bureau 1,319 members · 389 stories
Comments ( 39 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 39
Krass McWriter
Group Admin

Wether you write, read it, or (for some of the people here) criticize it, what got YOU into TCB?

Cloudhammer
Group Admin

I first read Change of Life, then Last Man Standing, then started on Chatoyance's work. But pretty much after Change of Life I was hooked on the concept.

I read Last Man Standing, and got immediately hooked. I just like the idea and concept of the series.

...An Azure Future :facehoof:

Krass McWriter
Group Admin

THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING CANADIAN AND FRENCH.

YOU HAVE TO READ AN AZURE FUTURE.:pinkiecrazy:

Last Man Standing was one of the best stories I've ever read on this site

339490>>339500

BEING CANADIAN AND FRENCH (and 6'4" tall) I must say I rather enjoyed an Azure Future. Geez, Krass, maybe you're secretly one of us at heart. But just keep in mind the 6'4" part so its "MR. FRENCH CANADIAN, SIR!" to you. Better be nice or Berry n' me'll gang up on you and convert you to a believer in socialized medicine.

On to business: the first TCB story I read was Last Man Standing. Was hooked. But it took me a while to get into it sufficiently to feel confident to write my own TCB stories.

Krass McWriter
Group Admin

YOU WANNA BOW UP TO ME?! I'M 6'3", YOU DONT SCARE ME NONE.

Ocean Breeze
Group Admin

Last Man Standing.

Wear platform shoes so I's can look ya in the eye, shorty.

Windchaser
Group Admin

Sidelines, Midnight's Tale, and Ten Rounds. Also thanks for the compliments, guys!

Krass McWriter
Group Admin

Speaking of which...

As for myself, I read Ten Rounds, Pride and the original first. But then again, thats all that was out at the time. Then Windchaser came along and was awesome and I finally gave it go.

I read the original, and then Midnight's Tale. I started reading them after that, and then Reality Break told me to try to write one.
And it worked, damn it all... :ajsleepy:

I found out about it through TV Tropes, myself.

Well one day I was walking down the street and 339700 popped out from a bush and challenged me to a drinking contest. The winner would have to write a TCB story and become really famous and well respected and the loser would be forced to write TCB that are alright but never rise to fame. To say the least I won but by the end of it we were too drunk to see what who won what so we wrote something and then posted it and the rest was history.

Well the real story of it goes. I was surfing through EQD one day and found a story to FiMFiction.net, the story sucked but I saw a little fic called Last Man Standing on FiM. I read it and was hooked, I continued to read ever TCB fic I could get my hands on. So once I read almost all of them I became board and wanted a fic with a bit more action, but there were none. So I picked up a pencil one day and began to write what would become The Last Job. Long story short, I posted it here and somehow ended up with 500 views in the first two days. I attempted to write a fic that was going to be a fic that had portals and some of my mates being teleported into the TCB universe on the Equestrian side, to say the least it sucked and I pushed it off a cliff. I continued and wrote a spin off called You're a Wizard, because I had found the IRC that we have now. From there on I was pretty much wanting to see if I could make my own little world in the CB universe so I wrote The Land Downunder and the many stupid things that followed. Now that The Land Downunder is done I am going to see if I can make my own universe to call my own in the massive pile of fics called The Conversion Bureau, and that pretty much is how I got into TCB and started to write.

I started with Midnight's Tale and quickly tumbled headlong into Chatoyance, Bunnana, and Krass's worlds as well as a good few others. I still have a 'to-read' list as long as my arm. Never have read Blaze's original tho.

Why did I start writing? I love Gryphons, and nobody else had really focused on them before, so I decided 'Carpe Carbine.' Seize the rifle. :pinkiecrazy:

349788 Wait how can you tollerate my work... Unless I am doing something right, if that's the case then...
*clears throat*
[youtube=d3kQk-lgFRI]
I am slowly becoming know.

Hmmm, :duck: I think my first encounter with TCB was with with Midnight's a Twist and a Tail and to be honest I really didn't like it (I like the spinoff more). I looked for the original and thought that's be better. Um, yeah, that didn't turn out well either. I actually was about to give up on TCB but then I found Code Majeste and that was what I needed. Yes, humanity screwed up, but that wasn't the whole focus, it was more of a set up for a really great story. After that I found Krass's stuff (also really good) and a few other stories. Then I decided I needed to totally screw up everything with my little fic:pinkiehappy:

A funny story actually.
The first ponyfic I read had Rarity push Fluttershy to do some dominatrix stuff with her, so I was thinking: There has to be something more to this fandom than this. Then I went to ponychan.net/fic and found the tcb post. Then I read the original, and Midnight's Tale(Tail?) which were both kind of lame, but I persisted and took up LMS and CoL which both rocked.
Back then, Windchaser, Midnight, and Anonsi all frequented the irc channel (and besides Krass, there really weren't many others [Sonic and Orpheus, but only rarely]).
Krass is probably what keeps me writing since especially AAF got and still gets so much undeserved praise that I have to. I can't call it bad if I haven't written something better, can I? :moustache:

Oh I thought I had posted here oh well. Not really much to say about how I got into this I was just looking through the fanfics on this site one day and I just happened to come across some conversion bureau stories. I found it strange that these stories had the same title so I investigated. When I found out what the conversion bureau was about I was both horrified and itrigued, and the rest they say is history. Now I'm starting to write my own conversion bureau stories although my opinion on the conversion bureau universe is still very Love-Hate. Oh well I'm sure that will change cause I'm here to say.

I started with Polish fics, published in our biggest fan-site, "The last thing I'd do" and "Dawn", written by Thar. He recommended me few fics, like "The Big Respawn", "A Twist in the Tail" or "An Azure Future". Now, after few months of reading TCB fics, I'm afraid I'm addicted...

Cloudhammer
Group Admin

388120 Oh don't be afraid, we have cookies! And this sparkling grape soda :pinkiecrazy:

Don't worry, we have cookies and cherry soda. It's far better than the grape stuff.:pinkiecrazy:

Our obsessions define us and show our souls to the world outside. And as far as obsessions go, TCB is at least on a grand scale, with only two entire universes at stake!

Krass McWriter
Group Admin

Oh lord, what an asshole. I apologize for AAF.

Also, you should write something!

Hello everybody, I just joined your little club. :twilightsmile:

To be fair I can’t remember when I stumbled over my first TCB story but I think it was a blog post on EQD a long time ago. There was a link to some good TCB stories as well as another like to a list of bad examples. Naturally I checked out the bad ones first and as expected they were indeed bad. So I tried the good ones and didn’t like them either. Many sound rather preachy and portrayed Pontification as some kind of salvation. Far too preachy for my taste, so I moved on and forget about this stuff pretty soon.

Then I joined FiMFiction and noticed that this whole Conversion Bureau stuff seemed to be a big thing. I looked at some stories and still felt that they were biased towards humanity. So I was glad to notice that there were other people on this site that agreed with me. I’ve read some Anti-TCB stories and realized it wasn’t my cup of tea either. Sure stuff like Ten Rounds is well written but those aren’t the Ponies from the show anymore, they are the Borgs and if I want to see an evil, murdering Celestia I would read NLR vs. SE story # 135.

There I was and thought to myself: Why does every TCB either turns humanity into a bunch of jerks that need to be saved by the glorious ponies or turns the Ponies into a bunch of Nazi so that they can be moved down by the heroic human resistance fighters?

And then I started writing Body and Soul and here I ‘am.

Since I totally exist and have existed for a long time, I should throw my own two cents in here!

First story I ever read was Last Man Standing. It was pretty much love right then and there. Then I read change of life, and some of midnight's stuff, and I just enjoyed it too much not to do it. So I started writing, and then never wrote anything ever. Least that's what it seems like from my story update rate.

Still, I'm working on getting some of my stuff out, so hopefully I'll start actually posting stuff for people to read.

When Chatoyance joined SoFurry, first thing she did was post 27Oz, and then a month later, Taste of Grass.

And that's actually all of it I've read. What I see here is a bit overwhelming. Now that I've found it, I'm going back and starting from the beginning with TCB itself.

EQD, same as most people... the first Azure story though, please don't kill me mister drunken pony sir! :fluttershbad:

Silvertie
Group Contributor

Last Man Standing did it for me. Read that, never looked back.

Brand New Universe was maybe the second fic I read on the site. Back then I think it only went up to Phoenix in Hooves. I have that story in particular to thank for my being on this site in the first place, let alone my interest in TCB.

Krass McWriter
Group Admin

I'm mostly sober nowadays...

Mostly:trollestia:

A while back I got real sick with appendicitis and wound up in the hospital. This is shortly after finding FimFic. I stumbled onto The Taste of Grass, and was hooked. (Yup, I read that before 27 Oz.)

So why don't I write TCB stories? Well, I think Chat and others just did a better job than I could have, so I went for another super crowded sub genre. (Alicorn!Twi.) :pinkiecrazy: I think I created a unique take there though.

Utopian ideas really. What is line between freedom and happiness.

And what is true happiness? Would such conflict end us... or replace us?

Or even mroe curiously.... would all our fears of morality, wars and ethicts be totally wrong?:trollestia:

Thats what brought me here.

Now why was i looking for such stories? Same reason as everyone else: Self interest.

I was curious. I felt good when curiousity is satisfied. I also like ideas where you could have utopia WITHOUT any pretensioussness. In other words, what we say and do in RL... would still be there.

Down to every last troll, meme, drink, juice, game, tvshow... and ofcourse, being able to perhaps be audience to it all. Unfortunately it seems that msot of the stories lack something i crave, but i talked about that on my other post :P

Interestingly enough, an off-hand comment in SuomiBrony's story "First Pony View". Where someone wondered if it was set in some sort of TCB world. I looked it up, started reading "Option Gamma" and "Ten Days" and found the subject absolutely intriguing, and also a good environment to explore what it means to be human.

Chatoyance
Group Contributor

Are you upset at the recent coup d'etat within this group?

Do you feel that allowing the sworn enemies of the Conversion Bureau, the Anti-TCB to invade this group was a bad idea?

Do you wish there was a safe, secure, protected space to celebrate the Conversion Bureau Genre without threat of detractors, bullies, trolls or attackers?

Would you rather be nurtured than harassed, supported than attacked, and assisted rather than criticized?

Join the TRUEConversion Bureau Group!

NO Anti-TCB
No Hate
No Abuse
No Power Struggles
No Internet Drama

Just friendship, conversion and ponies. Period.

You are invited and you are welcome.

I do not surport this new group but I hold no rights to say whether or not you can join this group. I do how ever to warn people that antagonising people in this group can land you a ban.

First I read Friendship is Optimal. After reading a lot of FIO fanfictions, I got into TCB.

I first read a TCB fic in wattpad (which I couldn't remember the name) while searching some misanthropic furry stories (don't know how I got hooked into those). The story has some "I am Legend" vibe into it, and it's really good. Sadly, it's pretty much dead now.

The reason I got hooked into TCB was because of Technology vs Magic trope. The first time that I got obsessed with that trope is because of the anime "Gate : Thus the JSDF Fought There". I can't remember the first time I searched TCB, but I most likely stumble upon it in Human fimfictions.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 39