Fillydelphia Oracle: Literature Reviews 176 members · 139 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
ScopingLandscape
Group Contributor

Twilight has ruled Equestria for three centuries, spreading harmony throughout the lands both inside and outside of the country.
Now, her job is done. She is ready to let everything go. But before she does, she delivers one last speech.

Plot

Twilight delivers her final speech before stepping down.

Character

I really like the way Twilight is depicted here. Even after three centuries of leadership, she still seems like the librarian we all know and love. After all this  time, she can still get worked up over giving a speech to the populace.

Initial thoughts

SunlightRays has written this as the response to a panic celebrating 10 years of My Little Pony, with the prompt being “Friendship is Magic”, and I have had the pleasure of going through this and giving comments. Now, he has expanded upon it, and I’m certainly excited as to how it will hold up.

Story

The story starts with Twilight Twilighting before giving her final speech. Even after all this time, she’s still nervous.

Twilight Sparkle anxiously paced behind the curtains, her hooves engraving hoofprints into the carpet below her.
“I don’t know if I can do this,” she muttered as she continued to pace around the room.

Spike, as per usual when Twilight is worried about something, is there to reassure Twilight that everything’s gonna be fine.
Her speech can be divided into three main parts: her pride of Equestria over how it had maintained Harmony over the years, characterized by the six Elements, her declaration of the throne’s dissolution, and the reason why.
Under her leadership, Equestria has really come into its own as a country, filled with friendship and harmony. After a night out in disguise, and seeing how the ponies have changed and thrived under her lead, she decided that it’s now time to step down. Of course, as she reminded us, this decision was not made without worry:

I was worried that stepping down would prevent me from being able to protect my subjects. I was worried that in the absence of a leader who focused on friendship, a dictatorship might be established. I was worried that I might have been mistaken and that my job, in fact, was not over yet.

After that night, she had realized she worried too much. The fate of Equestria is in good hooves. And from then, she had prepared for this very speech she is saying.

It was an honor to be your princess, but it was a bigger honor to be your friend and watch all of you grow and mature. Thank you.

Twilight, you have done well. You have done well for your nation, indeed.

Grammar & Character Depiction

The main focus here is Twilight. SunlightRays had done a fantastic job depicting her: her worry before the speech, her speech, filled with passion, and after that, her chat with Celestia and Luna.
Grammar-wise, it is very well-written, no grammar faults whatsoever.

Final Thoughts

As a friend of them, and as a reviewer, I would say that this might be one of their best writing so far. Emotional, touching, and all around amazing. I highly recommend.
Category: Worth It

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1