The Official Generation Five Site 690 members · 1,978 stories
Comments ( 38 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 38
littleman001
Group Admin

Well, there goes my theory about Phyllis being Sunny's mother and her and Sprout being siblings.

ponydog127
Group Admin

I LOVED this episode!

But it was still beautifully bittersweet to finally be able to learn a little about Sunny's mother. Not a name, unfortunately, but that could come up in later episodes. Maybe there could be later episodes showing Zipp and Pipp's father and Misty's mother (probably with Haven and Alphabittle both bittersweetly recalling their respective late spouses). Or BOTH of Izzy's parents AND both of Hitch's parents. We DO still have 40 episodes left in the series, after all (counting the other three specials).

Baby Sunny being with both her parents was a therapy I didn’t even know I needed. So CUUUTE!

littleman001
Group Admin

Yeah, it was weird how the only parents we ever saw were Argyle and Haven until Alphabittle was confirmed to be Misty's dad, but Hitch and Izzy are still orphans. Even stranger that they showed Hitch's grandmother before his parents.

Red light. RED light! RED LIGHT!!!

Tell me that they did not just... they... they did. *sigh* Crap, now there's going to be an uproar over the fact that Sunny's mane back then is the same color as it is now, when it was pure purple prior to the movie.

Beside that, it's a nice short, I guess. I think I would've been pretty cool if this was one of the specials, just famished for those quite moments, and I think this would've had a lot of it if this were the case.

littleman001
Group Admin

I didn't even noticed that the when I watched it. It's probably because this was present day Sunny going back to the past in the photo album.

Whoa ok I was not expecting Sunny's mom to show up but at least we know who she looks like we don't know her name unfortunately but at least we know who she is

littleman001
Group Admin

Yeah, it's kinda lazy they didn't bother to give her a name. Though halfway through watching the episode, I theorised she went off searching for Skyros and we'll see her again when Sunny and the others inevitably find it so there's still time.

But those stripes were there the moment she opened the book, I would've been up on the idea if they appeared after she got sucked in. And even if we wanted to assume that this is a time thing where it already happened, the glaring fact that her mother having the same streaks also give the impression that the show forgot about Sunny's original mane and they settled on the idea that it was a heredity from her mother.

so new headcanon maybe, Opaline killed Sunny's mom?

Well technically with my other theory was Sunny's mom was a unicorn and Argyle never told her about it because of what happened between the tribes they can't be with each other well I guess my theory is gone lol and yeah kind of weird they didn't give her a name so that's another one we need to figure that out or we'll find out next time

RIP Mrs Starscout

Flamewarrior02
Group Admin

Did not expect to ever see Sunny’s Mom.

Hopefully we’ll get a name drop soon.

As well as some possible other answers where the rest of the mane six’s parents went

True, but it was also true that we got to know Applejack's grandmother (as well as siblings) in G4 literally YEARS before getting to see the Apple Siblings' parents. Of course, Applejack was the only orphan in the G4 Mane Six, so that's not EXACTLY the same thing.

Though, yes, you make excellent points.

Well, maybe not NEXT TIME, but hopefully before the series ends.

Yeah true it's a bit too soon but I hope we see it soon

I feel like mentioning her name would be irrelevant. It’s not exactly lazy writing, it was just irrelevant to the story. We know the dad’s name but that was only due to news articles for Gen 5 and they never mentioned his name either. Also I think it would be weird if Sunny called her anything else other than mom.

Kibat Grenbuku
Group Admin

Welp, I was expecting it to not be Sunset... same time though, I wished it was. Huge missed opportunity here Hasbro.

ponydog127
Group Admin

That sounds right.

Admiral Producer
Group Admin

Excuse me for a moment…Oh my gosh! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!! FINALLY!!!! LET’S GO!! LET’S F’CKIN GOOOOOOOO!! OH YEAH!! THAT’S WHAT WE’VE BEEN WAITING FOR, WHOO!!! All Sunny-focused episodes this season have been certified emotional powerhouses so far and while I still think “The Lone Alicorn” just barely beats out this episode for my absolute favorite, this is still more than a welcome surprise. For years, we’ve been wondering who Sunny’s mom actually was and what happened to her and they finally told us! YES!! It’s an important part of Sunny’s life that previous episodes and MYM glossed over and it’s so rewarding to finally see that given the spotlight here. On top of that, the design of Sunny’s mom is pretty on point too. I can see where Sunny picked up the purple color in her mane. And that ending with the stars gave me serious Lion King vibes. I also gotta appreciate the attention to detail for making everything on point with how it looked during A New Generation times, with the Mane Six figurines being present, the Spike plush (so you CAN still use his likeness, huh writers?! Bring him back already then! He’s been absent since Chapter 6!), and the dragon print fossil on Argyle’s study table. I don’t know, Easter Eggs like that just help everything feel so much more cohesive from a continuity standpoint.

My only two minor nitpicks is that they should’ve given us a name (but they might tell us later, so who knows?) and the fact that filly Sunny has that rainbow streak in her mane when she shouldn’t. This is a problem “Starscout Code” had too and I just don’t get it. Considering the cracked portrait from the movie also shown in this episode doesn’t have this problem, I can only assume that this is something Sunny somehow lost as she got older. Add to that, the contrast between appearances appears to be intentional judging by how filly Sunny looks in the portrait compared to how she looked as a toddler. They’re probably saving it for a future reveal, so I won’t really dock off points just yet unless we never get anything concrete going forward. Anyways, back to being over the lunamoon happy now. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! :pinkiehappy:

Truly a masterful episode, one that I couldn't believe how emotional I got during it. Truly a top tier TYT episode and an episode Sunny needed. :D

Flamewarrior02
Group Admin

One thing I do like that no one else has brought up yet is the opening with Zipp.

Her going through her family history and the past queens really shows just how she feels about how she measures up to them. I like this subtle look into her insecure side and hope we explore it more.

7964781 Maybe when Allura frees her brother from the stars, she'll free Sunny's mother as well.

7964791 And there goes my theory that Argyle Starshine found frozen Scootaloo in a vault and cut off her wings because of pony racism so that he could adopt her.

the fact that filly Sunny has that rainbow streak in her mane when she shouldn’t. This is a problem “Starscout Code” had too and I just don’t get it.

The explanation is easy: Bad writing and animating.

And the theory about her mother being a unicorn. Oh well, some fan theories are confirmed and some are disproven.
Now we just need to know her name.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

It also makes something of a mess of my own writing, as myself and a friend had an OC for Sunny's mother-I've got a lot of AU tags to add...

True, will that oc now be like an AU mother or a auntie?
Pls take your time

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

Nope. Goldie will still be Sunny's mom in my writing.

ponydog127
Group Admin

...excited much, Admiral?

Admiral Producer
Group Admin

Oh, you know it. :twilightsheepish:

TalB #31 · 2 weeks ago · · ·

At least we finally get to see Sunny's mother in this episode and see why she was gone before MLP:ANG started.

Mica #32 · 2 weeks ago · · ·

So many unanswered questions raised by this episode...I call it fanfiction fodder :derpytongue2:

littleman001
Group Admin

The proper term is "Fanfic Fuel".

Comment posted by AnimeFan419 deleted May 3rd

I believe Sunny mom did unfortunately pass however because Tell Your Tale is for such a young audience they arent going to outright say that she died and that’s why they kept it so vague

No I don’t believe she is out there someone they just don’t wanna explain death to 5 year old girls

7965304 Or maybe they'll just plagiarise G4 and have Sunny free her while also freeing Allura's brother. And then they'll have him to deal with.

TalB #37 · 2 weeks ago · · ·

I sort of feel that this episode was made mainly because Mother's Day was coming up.

Do you think maybe she could still be out there somewhere, alive? Because I sure hope so.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 38