Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22
Raptormon132
Group Contributor

Well, I'll be! :pinkiegasp: An autistic character on Sesame Street! Who would've believed it? :pinkiehappy:

NicLove
Group Admin

5864965 it's makes almost a year

That makes 4 autistic characters in culture media, and all of them girls.

EchoWing
Group Contributor

I've mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, having an autistic Muppet allows the show to educate kids about autism, which is a good thing. On the other, I'm a little worried that treatment of Julia could end up coming across as condescending.

Jesse Coffey
Group Contributor

5864942 I've been waiting SO DAMN LONG for Sesame Street to have a character that accurately reflects my mental condition. So glad to have finally gained one.

NicLove
Group Admin

5864970 who are the 3 others ?

5865019 I have the same fillings

5865022 Ya! :yay:

1. Brigid Tanenbaum, from Bioshock series
2. Patricia Tannis, from Borderlands series
3. Name escapes me, but she is from the book Mass Effect: Ascension

5864942 D'aww :twilightsmile:
5864970 All girls? Wonder why :rainbowhuh:

NicLove
Group Admin

5866054 and it was confirmed that they are AS !?

5866072 I don't know .
especially that most AS are boys

BatwingCandlewaxxe
Group Contributor

especially that most AS are boys

Research is showing that to be increasingly untrue. What is being found is that ASD can manifest a little differently in females vs. males; and there are substantial cultural expectations and social structures that up to now have made mainstream medicine generally overlook the prevalence of female ASD, as well as making it easier for girls to mask their symptoms as they grow. New diagnostic practices are showing that the rates of the disorder are much closer than previously thought.

EarthbendingProdigy
Group Contributor

I think it is a great opportunity to educate both parents and children about Autism. We have come a very long way in understanding with all the misunderstandings that still persist we still have a ways to go and characters such as Julia could help take us towards the next step.

NicLove
Group Admin

5866169 a.. sorry

BatwingCandlewaxxe
Group Contributor

Nothing to be sorry about, that was the prevailing wisdom for quite some time. Like anything else, as it gets studied more, the science moves on, and we see things differently as new facts are discovered.

5866124 1 in 4 people who are autistic are female. I read about that back when I looked into my own syndrome.
I find it ironic that female cases are rare, yet in popular media, they are the only known examples.

NicLove
Group Admin

5866638 There are 2 movies with a guy that has AS !

Accountant

The Sense of Wonder

5864942 You know when I was younger and I was watching sesame street I never once thought, you know what this show needs an autistic character. I didn't even know I had autism at that age, nor would I even care I am watching a show about talking puppets and that all their was to it. I feel this is unneeded.

5866923 Oh yeah. That makes six. 4 girls and 2 boys.

Phoenix Heart 27
Group Contributor

5864942 Bravo Sesame Street!

NicLove
Group Admin

here's a funny thing

I just looked at my list of O.C.s with A.S.

I have 7 O.C with A.S.
5 or mares, and only 2 are stallions
LOL, I wasn't even try to

FastFox
ShyStone
HottenBright
PartyPanic
Sunflower-Knot

FlashTruth
Soft Spark

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22