Midnight Sparkle 392 members · 129 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

I basically like to say that Sci-Twi (the human counterpart of Twilight Sparkle from Equestria) is basically one of my fav characters of the Equestria Girls series.

Now there are people who are sometimes talking about her role in Friendship Games, some saying that she is an antagonist of the film, or even a character who becomes the main antagonist, all this due to her becoming Midnight Sparkle, and I basically don’t like those suggestions (and besides the role of primary antagonist is already taken by Principle Cinch).

So here is my discursive thoughts about her role in the 3rd film.

As we know in the 1st Equestria Girls film, Pony Twilight was the protagonist with Sunset as the Main Antagonist, then in the 2nd film Pony Twilight was again the main Protagonist while Sunset became the secondary Protagonist.

Now with Friendship Games, Sunset took over as main Protagonist, and for Sci-Twi, she became the main Duetragonsit and secondary Protagonist.

For those who know what Duetragonist means, it is a character who would stands with or against the main protagonist, or that the character works with the protagonist then turns against him/her to work with the antagonist, or vice versa.

So I’m going for the first option, as Sci-Twi basically competes against the Wondercolts, but also then befriends the human mane 6, and I also stated that she is also a secondary protagonist, as she, like Sunset, is trying to sort out her own problems during the events of the film.

When she went around to Canterlot High to compete in the games, she also went there to learn and examine the strange readings that were happening at the school, taking with her a special pendant.

The pendant, unaware to her, would become an antagonistic item, while it’s purpose was to detect and contain anomalies.

it would then back fire on her as it then begin to absorb the Equestrian magic from Sunset, her friends and the portal, completely by accident, and even open up rifts to Equestria.

Then came the final round of the games, as Principle Cinch decides to fight back by having her pupils use magic to win the games, and she, along with the Shadowbolts (who were an antagonistic group who, with the exception of Sci-Twi of course, are the secondary antagonists), pressure Sci-Twi into unleashing the magic.

Through the course of the song sequence, Sci-Twi does what she is told, but is shown worried and uncertain about what would happen if she did release the magic.

Upon releasing the magic, Sci-Twi gets caught in the vacuum of the growing orb of magic and is sucked in, which then transforms her into her super form, Midnight Sparkle.

This is the part that I’m coming to now about her role.

Midnight Sparkle may look like an evil antagonist, but she really isn’t, and I believe in the good in Twilight’s heart and thus never believe she would intentionally hurt anyone. Also Midnight really isn’t Twilight, but is basically a mind parasite, and for those who remember the Nightmare Rarity comic arc, she is basically like that, which is also why Sci-Twi is still basically the secondary Protagonist, but currently doing her Duetragonist role during the climax.

Midnight also takes on a Hyde role to Sci-Twi’s Jekyll, for while Sci-Twi is shy and kind, Midnight is Assertive and power-crazy (not evil, let me remind you!), and both sides of the coin have the same thirst for knowledge, however Midnight would take extreme measures to gain it, as shown when she began opening rifts to Equestria, causing so much damage to the Human World.

Plus you would also notice Midnight’s glowing eyes, which shows that the mind parasite/hyde side is in control, while Sci-Twi’s normal eyes show that she is back in control of her actions and body.

As mentioned before, Sci-Twi was still there, just inside her mind, trying to fight back control of her body and actions as Midnight went out of control and was fighting Daydream Shimmer (Sunset’s super form), and would be thanks to Spike (Sci-Twi’s pet dog) who helped her as he called out to her in worry in what was happening to her, which helped Sci-Twi win back control for enough time for Daydream to save Sci-Twi and defeat the mind parasite.

Thus then, it results Sci-Twi, still in her Midnight form but back in control of herself, encounters Sunset, also in her Daydream form, and while scared at first about what was happening, tearfully and happily accepts Sunset’s hand in friendship.

So that’s basically how I see Sci-Twi’s role in Friendship Games, as a secondary protagonist and duetragonist.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1