Tag-a-long's Book Club 511 members · 1,121 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

So Piquo Pie had this nifty idea: make February a month of fanfiction love, where we appreciate all the awesome stuff that fanfiction offers us and celebrate people who don't usually get the spotlight, but are still worthy of love for contributing to this awesome community. He calls it #FebFIMFanFicLove.

I love this idea, and I so had an idea about how to maybe achieve that. Basically, it's a multi-person fic exchange. Here's how it works:

1. You choose a fic which you think is good or enjoyable, and which you think deserves more attention.
2. You submit a link to that fic to me in a private message. By doing so, you're agreeing to take part in the Fic Exchange.
3. When I get enough suggested fics (hopefully around ten or thereabouts), I'll randomly assign each person one fic to read, and post the list to this thread.
4. You read the fic assigned to you.
5. When you've finished reading, you write a review of the fic on your blog. Try to be nice, but also be honest. If you didn't like the fic, you can say so. The intent is to give the fic some deeper attention than it would otherwise have gotten, and to let an author know that someone took the time to appreciate his or her effort, whether they ended up liking it or not.
6. You can also post it to this group, as Allen Vth helpfully suggested. That way, if your blog isn't very heavily trafficked, more people might read your review. In either case, tag the blog entry or post with '#FebFIMFanFicLove' in the title.
7. When you're done, post a link to your review here, so that the person who suggested the fic can see what you thought.
8. Also, send the author of the fic a message pointing them to your review.

Fic Guidelines
‣ You can't choose a fic that you wrote.
‣ The fic must be complete.
‣ The fic must be in English.
‣ No mature fics. Although there's nothing necessarily wrong with a mature fic, I can't guarantee that everyone taking part will be okay with reading them.
‣ The maximum length of fic allowed is 25,000 words. This is the most that anyone will be expected to read. (Fimfiction uses 250 words-per-minute for its reading time estimates, so this comes out to 100 minutes of reading time.) Any fic smaller than this is acceptable.
‣ Since the intent is to show appreciation, make sure the person who wrote the fic is actually active on Fimfiction and didn't leave like two years ago or something. You can tell this by going to their user page and seeing when they were last online.

If you're stuck for fic suggestions, one thing you can do is order your Favourites list by view count, and see who's at the bottom of the list. For example, this is my list ordered by views and restricted to a maximum of 25000 words.

Who's in? I'm taking part of course, so if even just one other person agrees, then at least two authors should get a nice review out of it. Send me your choices if you're interested, and if you have any questions, leave them below!

Also a better name for this than 'Fic Exchange' would be good too.

you can count me in although i can't guarantee that anyone reads my blog.

4039507 - that's fine. This isn't about giving someone widespread exposure - it's more about giving their efforts a little bit of recognition that they might not otherwise have gotten. That's why the review is a key part of this. The people taking part also get a little bonus of being able to see what other people thought about a fic that they liked.

4039531 well I will try my best to write a good review, it is not something i have done in the last decade or so.

4039501 I'll send the fic now!:pinkiehappy:

Five fics so far, thank you very much! Allen Vth pointed out that it might be a good idea for people to post their FebFIMFanFic reviews to this group rather than (or in addition to) their blog, so that more people get a chance to read it. I've amended the rules to that effect.

Foals Errand
Group Contributor

I'll keep this open for another day or so so more people can get their choices in. If possible, try to pick fics which don't have as many views as you think they should!

4039501 PM sent! This is a great idea; if it's a success, maybe it could be something we could do again at some point. :twilightsmile:

I've had 11 submissions, which is super awesome! I'll post the assigned fic list later today/tomorrow. I'm still accepting entries up until then.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13