The Ace/Arospec Fiction Group 36 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Hello there and happy Pride month to you all! I thought I ought to make a thread highlighting asexual and aromantic characters in books, film, television, etc. If it's stated either in the work or by Word of God, it fits in this thread. The only one I can think of at the moment is Jack "Mal" O'Malley, from the excellent webcomic Widdershins.

He is a grumpy, sarcastic, mildly abrasive fellow with the ability to see spirits whose best friend is a lovely optimistic bear of a man named Wolfe. I absolutely love this webcomic, because it takes pre-Victorian England, adds wizards and magic, and then throws in a pinch of gayness for good measure. Also, Kate Ashwin is a goddess of art and storytelling.

Other than that, all I can think of is the Dr. Who. They have been at the very least strongly implied to be ace or aro or even nonbinary in a number of works (in the books, the audio dramas, and even in episodes), but it's rather controversial, and Dr. Who's canon is like radium-- pretty to look at, and quite useful, but heavily unstable and not safe in large doses. I'll leave it at that for now, but if anyone wants to see me rant about how the Dr. Who is inherently Not Straight, I intend to write a blog post about it in the near future.

There's Todd from Bojack Horseman who is ace

I think I've maybe heard of that? Never watched the show, though, but I may start if only to absorb the aceness.

Apparently Jughead is asexual in the comics. I tried looking into it and got mixed responses, not least because there are multiple Archie lines. But he's ace in at least one of those lines, I guess. I don't know how comic book publishing works.

Bojack is really good! I'd suggest trying it!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4