Equestrian Scale Modelers Society 51 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Railroad Brony
Group Admin

OK, I recently bought a "Table Top Navy" kit. It is a 2-in-1 box, that gives me IJN Yamato and IJN Zuikaku (one of the Pearl Harbor carriers)

They come with 4 piece hulls. They come this way because they can be built in 2 ways: Waterline and full hull. I am building them full hull. I would like to be able to seal the pieces of the hull so that I can put the ships in a bin of water, take a picture, and edit it so it looks like they are at sea.
Can anyone help wiht that? I also need to seal the paint, since the paint I am using is water-based.

Another thing I would like to do is be able to pose the main batteries. As it is, I have to insert the post of the turret into the hole on the deck, and glue the turret down. Is there a way I can avoid doing this, yet the turrets will not fall out?

If you have facebook you can join a Model boat builders group,

I would suggest using a different paint. Marine grade maybe? marine grade glue would be an alternative to the glue that comes with the kit.

JB water weld should work. As for paint standard model boat paint should do.

And line the inside of the boat entirely with thin epoxy. That way if the glue is not a perfect bond, or if the material warps slightly, the epoxy will act as a separate float. I use the 2-part liquid epoxy, and cover the inside with shrink-wrap to double-check that there are no gaps for water to get through.

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

at least put a clear enamel varnish over all the painted areas, incase you've used acrylics

Railroad Brony
Group Admin

4604239 it is a small model. Yamato is only 8.5 inches long! Plus, the hobby shop is a small, mom and pop kinda place.Their bread and butter is model trains, cars/trucks, and nonflying model planes. Their ship selection is about 4X4. their paint selection is even less. They are the only hobby shop in town.

8.5" long? that's pretty small if your trying to power it

Railroad Brony
Group Admin

4606191 I wasn't going to attempt to power it. the main batteries are the main guns.

Ah, okay, so you just want it to float? That should be relatively easy

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8