I See Pink/Vogonverse 248 members · 28 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

So, I accidentally let another plot bunny make a home in my skull and I find myself with a serious couple of issues:

1) I know next to nothing about the universe that he's squeaking these really interesting ideas into my head about.
2) I lack the time to actually sit down and read the stories to correct the above deficiency.
3) This new plot bunny is much more vocal than the one that I was hashing out the specifics with for a FoE sidefic with at the moment. (Seriously its like she's afraid of him or something)

Now, I've nothing against working on two projects at once: it sounds like a rather good idea to have a less structured fic to be silly with while you're working on what will probably wind up being a literal novel about post-apocalyptic horses. The biggest problem is that second point: I can't devote the time to read through all, or even a couple, of the canon stories.

Want some context? Of course you want context? Who doesn't love context!?

I'm currently deployed with the United States Navy. Yes, currently. Turns out we get good enough internet to load up Fimfic if you can snag a computer with chrome on it. Problem is, I only have access to one computer with chrome, and its not guaranteed to be open when I've got some free time to burn. Couple that with the fact that the internet is not a guaranteed thing: we might have to disable it for an extended period of time due to mission concerns or the weather just decides to be a dick, and I'm lucky if I can get on this site more than once a week.

This leaves me in a serious pickle: this fucking second plot bunny has been talking my ear off for the past three days! So now I'm spending the time I could be reading and/or getting my ass handed to me in a Lunatic run of Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright asking for help filling in the swiss-cheese that is my understanding of the Vogonverse.

Fairly certain I've already got the basics down pat:
* Well-off people around the world can purchase living, breathing, thinking, feeling fantasies from a multinational company known as Vogon Biotech.
* One of the product lines available is a series of bio-droids (which I shall be henceforth be calling "borgs" for as slang, even though they are the furthest thing from the collective imaginable) based on the cultural phenomenon known as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
* Though these borgs are made to order with plenty of customization options (including body-types, fetishes, memory and personalty) only one of each character will ever be made, no matter now popular said character is.
* They may only be purchased as individual units unless some kind of bundle is in effect.
* ALL of these borg companions seem to be anthropomorphic.
* Upon creation, borgs will remain in a passive, idle state until a human makes skin-to-fur contact. Such borgs are considered "activated" and tend to "bond" to the person that touched them.
* The current tech-level is somewhere between modern and your stereotypical "future-tech." Hyper advanced AI and VR are a thing, but commercial flying cars, green energy and "safe and affordable housing" are nowhere to be seen.
* Trailerparks and skyscrapers had a baby, and they're fucking terrifying to think about.
* The majority of the American middle class has been swallowed by the lower class, which is what necessitated the infamous "Stacks" that sound like somebody gave the literal ghettos themselves, the buildings and culture, not the people, fucking super-steroids.
* In spite of the housing crisis, the good ol' USD still beats out other currencies when converted to the international currency known as "credits." Not sure what this means in terms of global economy shit, but its fun to brag about the completely fictional future like your typical American asshole.

Fun fact, those last few bullets were added just over an hour ago from one of these threads here: thank you hailspider for your relevant questions!

Having laid all that out, I find my biggest questions being centered around culture and lifestyle. For instance: I am lead to understand that there is still a working class, but what jobs they fill, what their livelihood is like, what amenities they can be expected to have, what foods they tend to eat... Hell, just what foods, musics, medias are popular now; I'm in the dark on all of it! I'm not going to lie, it would probably be fun to figure some of that stuff out for myself, but even though I plan to diverge from what I understand to be the canon in a big way (proper quadrupedal pony borgs for MCs; though the standard anthromorphic models are by far more popular) I'd like the bits that I don't have to have different due to the plot and premise be as similar as possible.

Oh, and don't get me started on RJP's teasing of Vogon having a hidden purpose via the forums. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like an interesting read and I'd fucking love to get to piece that stuff together between stories... But I'm a newcomer that doesn't have the fucking time to slowly solve the mystery of Vogon Biotech! There's a puzzle sitting right there taunting me and I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!

<heavy breathing>

Sorry you had to read that... but I needed to get that off my chest...

<le sigh>

I have a problem...

Anyway, I think that covers just about everything. Thanks in advance to anybody who slogs through my nonsense and gives a reply I can work with, any and all help is appreciated.

If you have something you can read them on, you can download stories in a few different formats, so you have them saved locally and don't require internet access to read them. The three buttons next to the "Complete" (or whatever) status indicator are for TXT, HTML, or EPUB versions.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2