Weekly Contests 373 members · 110 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22
hailspider
Group Admin

Original thread: https://www.fimfiction.net/group/295/art-for-fanfiction/thread/202481/contest-a-pictures-worth-a-thousand-words-part-1
The idea behind this contest is simple; artists receive a prompt, and draw a picture (or whatever kind of art's your thing) based on it. Then, in the second part, writers receive part one's winning image as their prompt and write a story based on it.
So, now onto the contest specifications:
Prompt: Alternate Universe
Size: No greater than 2000px by 1000px; the files would be huge otherwise.
Content Rating: Nothing NSFW, as per group and site rules.
Type of art: Any— however, no words are allowed.
Deadline: September 5th, at midnight.
Submissions: Post in either thread; make sure to reply to me!
Prizes: Promotion in Art For Fanfiction (and possibly here), and also in a blog post of mine (though the latter doesn't mean much). This may gain a physical prize as well, depends on how much money I can spend on this. (I'm not 100% sure at the moment.) If anyone else wants to help judge or supply prizes (for either part), just ask!

I would like to make a fanfiction based on someone's artwork...after the contest of course.

4653388 I know the procedure for submitting stories here, but how are we going to submit the art? Do we have to join the other group?

hailspider
Group Admin

4653443 Just post it in either thread; make sure you reply to me!

4653446 So the writers wait for the art to be made and then we do this?

4653669 Alright I'll be watching.

4653388 If I were to take part in the art contest, could I then also take part in the writing contest?

hailspider
Group Admin

4653862 You could, actually.

I'm going to be really busy soon, so I had to get this done fast. Anywho, here's my entry. You guys remember how the dragon gang was teasing Spike about living with ponies and even accused him of being one? Oh, how the tables have turned!

I know the dragon to pony and vice versa pics are way overused, but I just couldn't help it. Besides, I haven't seen many of Garble's gang as ponies. That and I would just really, REALLY like to see Spike get revenge on these guys!

For those of you that care, I drew this by hand on acid free mixed media paper using art pens, marker, and a little bit of colored pencil and watercolor pencil to supplement. Now you know!

Good luck to everyone else entering! Can't wait to see what the rest of you come up with! :raritywink:

hailspider
Group Admin

4654379 This is certainly not anywhere near what I was expecting, which is a good thing!
It looks pretty nice for the most part.:raritywink:

hailspider
Group Admin

4653862 Just five days left!

The theme might be overused in terms of Spike and the Mane Six, but I don't think I've seen it applied to Garble's gang yet... I'd read that story.

hailspider
Group Admin

4653862 Just two days left!

4653388 Did I have to post it here? I'm not sure :derpytongue2:
Anywho, it's Princess Winona!

hailspider
Group Admin

4654379 4689658
First place:
Second place:
It was actually pretty close.
edit:
oh fuck it's not midnight yet
I'll edit this if we get any surprise entrants

Congrats to adoptpetz!

hailspider
Group Admin

4691112 Thanks for being a good sport!

Wait, you mean I... won something? Even if it's just tentative, I'm so honored! :pinkiehappy:

4689658 I'm surprised yours didn't win, if just for theme. A "Princess Winona" story would be funny as anything, not to mention original! I still think your submission was awesome, anyhow. :twilightsmile: Might I ask, what art program do you use?

I'm very curious to see what stories are written for this contest, whether it's based on my submission or not. Good luck to any future contestants!

4691184 I'm personally a fan of the rock Spike's standing on! I love that 3-colour detailed shading.

I use Clip Studio Paint. The version I've got (There's two) is currently out for $50.
I used to use OpenCanvas on steam, but seeing that you can make a bigger canvas with less lag, I'm personally a fan.:twilightsheepish:

Thanks! I'll have to look into it. I've been using Gimp, which is why my submission was hand-drawn. Yeah, I seriously need something better than a freebie program :facehoof:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22