The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
Tidal
Group Admin

Do you know what time it is? Come on, take a guess. Please? I'll give you a muffin.
Fine, I'll tell you.
IT'S TIDAL'S REVIEW TIME!:pinkiehappy:

I have been AFK for a while and I do apologize for that, but now I am here today with a Commentary over a type of story I have yet to read before... A Discord Story
Without further ado...

(I am alerting you now of possible spoilers... be ready. Here is official warning.)

By: Viola Velvet
(This is the 2nd story by Miss Viola that I have reviewed, her first one had great back story for Trixie, Here is the review for that story, which was good! I'm looking forward to seeing what Viola has in store for me with this story!)

Time has not been kind to the God of Chaos, and in his final moments, he reads the journal he kept over the years.

Awh... Discord has a diary! (It says journal... But I'm sure it's a diary, Discord likes to change things up I'm sure.) This story has like a billion chapters, So I'll commentate on a handful of them and then do my review like normal from there. Ready? Let's go!

Chapter 1: September

September 1st
Today was the first day of school.
The teacher is very nice and she tells everyone to stop it when they look at me funny. One kid asked me why I looked so ugly and I started crying, but the teacher was really nice to me and gave me a golden sticker because I was so good.

AWH! Discord is in kindergarden?! D'AW LEVELS APPROACHING CRITICAL! (I'm Foreshadowing here... lol)

Hey diary.
I think I'm in love.
There's a very beautiful pony in my class. They say she's an ali-acorn or something like that. I don't no what that is but it's very special. She is a Pegasus AND a unicorn... can you believe it?
Her name is Cullestia Culesstya Cellestya ... Tia.

I told you it was a diar-- Wait.... He... with... Tia...

September 17th
Today sucked.
I finally decided to talk to Celestia today. (the teacher taught me how to spell her name right!) She was very nice and I love her voice. It is very pretty. I was having lots of fun talking to her but then a really big colt came up to me. I don't no his name but he is a big meanie and he told me to stay away from Celestia and never come back... EVER!
I was really sad but I said goodbye to her and walked away. Celestia even waved to me and she looked sad when I left. I think she likes me back! Maybe I can marry her after all.
-Discord

I'm still a little conflicted about the possible Discortia ship... But imagining Discord this young and hopeful... It's cute.

I have to walk home from school because mommy is sick and can't get up a lot. She can only get up to make me breakfast, pack me lunch and make dinner. I love my mommy. I say I need to get a doctor, but she says we can't afford it.

Oh... I can practically smell what's happening here... Don't you dare do it Viola!

They beat me up. Now my tummy really hurts because the biggest colt kicked me there and then kicked it again to make sure I'd stay down. I think my eye is bruising. And the nosebleed doesn't help either. My nose really hurts. Mom was in bed when I came home, so luckily she didn't see me like this. I would tell my mom about them, but...
Well, you know, if you rat on the bullies, they just come back for more. Even if they are expelled, they know where I live. Bullies suck, diary. They really do.

Somepony want's to die. Nopony beats up little D.

Chapter 3: Feburary

Just... No. Slight feels this chapter. Ending with this

Now Tia will never love me...

Keep it up Viola... I think you might get some tears out of me.

Chapter 4: July and August.

August 3rd
Sorry I didn't write to you all of July, but I have been too busy playing outside!
Happy birthday to me! I am turning seven years old today. Mom got up from bed to surprise me, and she brought me breakfast in bed and she even gave me a chocolate cupcake with rainbow sprinkles when I was done. There was a candle in the cupcake and we sang Happy Birthday and then I blew out the candle. I wished that mommy would get better. I didn't tell her though, because then the wish wouldn't work.
She felt really dizzy after so I helped her back to her bed and then she had a nap. When she got up, she told me to close my eyes and walk into the kitchen. So I did and when I opened them there was a gift on the table! She got me a stuffy and a book. The stuffy was a bunny and I named her Cupcake because she reminds me of my birthday cupcake. I love Cupcake!
I was really happy and mom gave me a hug. I am reading the book but the book is very hard to read so mom helped me out a little. This was the best birthday ever!
-Discord

I this whole section was just so cute! Lol I don't care that I'm a dude and I think it's cute, DON'T JUDGE ME DAMNIT. Also... I'm worried about Discord's mom... :pinkiesad2:

Chapter 6: December.

I woke up at 8:00 and when I came downstairs, mom was already in the kitchen making breakfast. It was pancakes and bacon - my favorite! We ate breakfast and then we went to the living room.

...Bacon... BACON...BACON?! Nuff said. Equestria is not the happy place we all thought it was. Discord over here eating bacon and s***

I wanna keep commentating but I look down and notice I still have... like 20 or so chapters. So I'll end it here! I shall finish reading these short Chapters and return soon!

Review

FEELS METER

Those feels man... jesus as the story gets deeper so does the knife that the writer sticks into my heart, then as you read more? That knife is twisted. Discord's life went from pretty good, to just flat out tragic. As the story progresses you start to see Discord's life get worse and worse... with some moments of happiness. The mix of emotions drives me crazy, I love it! I eat it up like a changeling! 10 out of 10

EXECUTION/PRESENTATION

Point of View

This story is told from the perspective of our dearest lord of chaos Discord. He writes in his diary about his experiences. What he sees, and feels. It stays this way throughout and is done pretty well. He even has a slow decent into madness that I quite enjoyed...

Style

We are reading Discord's Diary the entire time, so the dates and times shift pretty often, and sometimes I got a little confused only cause there wasn't a year with each entry. The chapter titles were like September, Then it'd be October, Then December... I feel like if the years were written down as well I can get a better idea at the end for how long Discord has been writing for. Other then that the story progresses easily and I got a pretty decent image of Discord's surroundings. I had to remember to keep in mind that Discord is around 10 to 11, and is writing in a diary, So I cant expect amazing sensory details and a broad vocabulary.

Flow

Each entry had the right amount of details in them to be perfect. Even when Discord wouldn't write for months he would come back and give us a good idea of what he's been up to for the time being. Well done for the most part but I do have some tips I'd like to share near the end.

MOOD

Intended Mood

The story seemed to be written so you would feel for Discord. His life since kinder has been rough for various reasons. The author wanted to convey the many different emotional challenges Discord went through during his long life.

Received Mood

I felt everything. As I stated before the are sections that break your heart, sections that made you D'awwww, sections that make you mad, sections that make you go "Oh no way!!" The writer kept me interested with every entry. The amount of tragic foreshadowing appears in every chapter, and it makes you wanna read more. (Celestia is a terrible, terrible pony. I hate her in this story.)

GRAMMAR

The grammar in this story is fun to read, I enjoyed how in the beginning Discord can barely spell Celestia's name, and as the story progresses we see his vocabulary and spelling improve. It's hard to rate grammar on a story that is meant to have mistakes on purpose. But unfortunately I did find a little error or two that I'm sure wasn't meant to be on purpose. I will give this story an A- since It was pretty well written throughout.

TIPS AND HIGH-HOOF

Tips

I have a few suggestions that I think could've improved this story slightly.

1. If the year was on the entries. Since the story isn't completed and we still have a long way to go before the end (I assume since the description of the story says Discord is dying and he's reading his journal to reflect back) If the years were there then once we get to where Discord meets the mane 6 for the first time we can get a better idea of truly how long he has been writing for.

2. Avoid this

"Who are you?" she had asked me. I said I was Discord, the new colt here. She introduced herself as Chrysalis, but told me I could simply call her Chrysi.

I honestly don't think quotes are necessary in a diary. this could have been worded as "The mare asked me who I was, I told her my name. She then introduced herself as Chrysalis, but told me I could simply call her Chrysi." I've read a few different diary type stories and I notice this done by writers a lot. In a diary unless you are actually quoting something, putting quotations and then dialogue can take the illusion of it being a written diary away. At least for me. Try and avoid these situations in the future. Remember we are reading from the perspective of Discord! He doesn't need to write down what ponies say exactly.

3.Continue the story!!
I think those are the only tips I have at the moment, If I remember an additional one I'll add it in.

High-Hoof

Those feels man. Discord's lack of understanding on why so many bad things are happening around him... It's just greatness. I wanna take Discord and hide him from the evils of the world. I want to give praise to the creativity of this young Discord that just wants to know... why. I really hope to see an update soon!

Rating: I RECOMMEND THIS STORY

I think anypony who wants to read about Discord and feel different emotions should check this one out.
The reason I gave this rating is cause the story is only just starting to really pick up, and it hasn't been updated in a long time. I really would like to see some more! As Discord gets older and more powerful I'd like to see him write about his feelings and thoughts about the situations he goes through... I also wanna see how exactly he is dying, and the death itself. The feels will be strong.

So that's my take on The Life of A God By: Viola Velvet. With some more expansion this story can be really really interesting and sadder! I love the way Viola writes.

This was a review from the lover of feels Tidal. Expect to see another review from me soon! :pinkiehappy:

THE EPIC IS REAL.

FamousLastWords
Group Admin

2818571 Whoo! Great review Tidal! Ima need to check this one out. :heart:

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

In my opinion, this can be held a prime example of reviews we should do today.

Lay them down those giffs.

Tidal
Group Admin

Thanks guys... These are reviews I'll get to do again soon. :heart:

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Of course, we understand computer issues when they happen.

FamousLastWords
Group Admin

4120179 Darn Straight!

Tidal
Group Admin

:fluttercry: I miss yall

FamousLastWords
Group Admin

4120186 Do you miss me too?

Tidal
Group Admin

I thought I hit both names! I hate Fimfic on phone

FamousLastWords
Group Admin

4120193 Dude, have you seen the new updated banner pic for the group?

Tidal
Group Admin

Thanks for pinning this... Like a reminder for me to do better :twilightsmile:

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Or a reminder that this group still loves the crap out of you.

Tidal
Group Admin

No I have not!

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

It's actually an Icon pic.

Tidal
Group Admin

Tell everyone I miss and love them!!

Actually... I'll post a thread tomorrow. I'm not gone, just not as assessable

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16