The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Tidal
Group Admin

Today's first story... I have a feeling is gonna be crazy.

This here is Tidal, and I'm bringing you another sad story review today! The story is several chapters in, but the chapters aren't too long... So I'll commentate on a couple chapters and then review the rest... I have this feeling its gonna be a good one! Get ready, cause sad stories, are fun! Beginning in... NOW.

Every Second Counts... This looks an awful lot like... :pinkiegasp: Oh No.

After Rainbow Dash declares Tank as her new pet, she decides to take a quick fly through Ghastly Gorge. She told none of her friends were she was going. If something happens, help won't come. In such a grim situation, to escape is to make every second count.
Based on the movie 127 Hours.

Oh my Celestia. I'm going in blind Fillies and Gentlecolts, and I'm taking y'all with me! :pinkiecrazy:

Chapter 1: On your own

"Hello everypony, the fastest mare in Equestria here. It's been roughly a few weeks since I got the coolest pet in the whole world. Tank, an awesome tortoise for an awesome pony like myself. Anyways, he's in Fluttershy's cottage for some, um, special training with the other critters that mare has. I remember how he helped me that one time. I was trapped in Ghastly Gorge and there he was, lifting me up to my friends. I'm really grateful for that, though something has been on my mind. That place is like super dangerous and I never really explored the whole place. So that's where this starts. I plan on exploring the caves there for a day or two. I should get ready though. Bring some snacks and water. I hope Tank is okay, but now, it's time to get my adventure on."

This is the intro paragraph, I feel I'm watching the intro to a movie... and the whole time I'm reading I'm thinking "sorry Rainbow... things aren't gonna go according to plan"

"Wait a minute." She stopped her tracks, remembering something was forgotten. She stuck her hoof back in the shelf, wondering it around in there, until she felt a metal object. "Here it is." She gave a smile, pulling out a small single-edged knife. "Better keep it for emergencies." She rolled her eyes at the thought. Why would the coolest mare in Equestria need knives in danger.

:rainbowderp: Oh I can think of a few reasons...

Rainbow started to get a glimpse of the rocky canyons. She put on a huge smile, her wings beaded even faster. Last time the pegasus was there, she got her wing injured and ended up doubting her escape. That's when Tank came in, saving the day. Although Rainbow Dash learned a lesson back then, that didn't stop the dare devil from going back. After all, danger was her middle name.

:rainbowlaugh:

"Here we go." She carefully read the black ink.
-Land in the canyon
- Explore the East side
-Mess with the giant eels
-Take a rest...

I wonder if... -Regret this decision in near the bottom of this list...

"Whoa," She yelled, pulling off near ninety degree turn. Her hind legs hit a large branch, making her go off course. "Slow down, slow down, slow down," She told herself, trying to regain control. Once the pegasus' wings straightened, Rainbow gave a sigh of relief. "Damn, that was a close one." She flew high up, looking down at the path between the rocky walls. She felt her grey cap slowly rubbing off her head. As soon as she reached her hooves up to grab it, the cap completely fell off her head, free falling into the canyon.

Her little monologue was cut short as a huge dull pain hit her back. Both her wings bashed straight against the rocky surface of the canyon, causing them to go numb for the moment. An enormous rumbling sound shook the entire area. Rainbow slid her back down the tough wall. Her back started to ache. Cracks formed on the wall, and soon, entire chunks of rocks and boulders started to rain down the pegasus.

NOOOOOOOOO! Rainbow FLY!

The shocked Rainbow Dash looked straight up. All the walls seemed to close in on her, leaving a very narrow opening with a dim light coming through. Many other smaller rocks surrounded the restrained pegasus.
A terrifying memory kicked in Rainbow's mind immediately. "Oh no, no, no, no, NO!" Her head shifted from side to side, finding no light. To both her sides were like hall ways. No light was on top of them and they expanded for what seemed like miles.

The Suspense is strong in this one. :rainbowkiss:

She tried to calm herself down, rubbing her head. "Any second now somepony will come by and get me out of here. Just like before.

Lightning doesn't strike the same spot twice Rainbow... what makes you much different?

Chapter 2: Day One

She put the bottle down, panting quietly. "Better save up for later." Rainbow realized saving up would do well. With only half the bottle left, she placed the lid back on and through the heavy bottle back into the grey bag back.

I must give Rainbow props for being calm and collected during this situation right now... if it was me? :raritydespair:

Just then, a large shadow flew over the pegasus. Rainbow's attention immediately came back. Her head shot up, noticing a pony like figure in the distance. Rainbow's eyes went wide in desperation.
"HEY," She screamed at the top of her lungs. "OVER HERE! SOMEPONY PLEASE HELP ME! I'M TRAPPED!"

Suspense... Suspense... Suspense

The blade itself didn't surprise much. It felt dull and blunt. Rainbow held the wooden handle with her mouth. The taste wasn't pleasant, though she was able to tolerate it. She bent down, slowly hovered her head over her shoulder. It ached, but that wasn't important. She reached out and started pecking away at the boulder. The tip of the dull knife rapidly bashed against the rock. She repeated the motion, moving her head up and down, chipping away at the huge boulder.

Get yourself out Rainbow... you can do it!

She quickly turned around to see her knife falling off the boulder's side. "Oh no," She tried to grab the tool, though she missed. The knife fell off the boulder, bounced off another nearby rock and landed on the ground, out of her reach. "Damn it," Rainbow cursed under her breath.

Oh thank goodness...

The night was dark in Ghastly Gorge. There was the pinned pegasus, still pecking away at the boulder. Rainbow had been doing this all day, up till the moon rose. Luna's bright orb rested in the middle of the sky, indicating it was near midnight.

Wow...

Rainbow slowly closed her eyes, the muscles in her body, while having trouble, finally relaxed. She rested her head on the boulder, hoping to wake up to a bright and shining morning.

Don't give up Rainbow... I'm rooting for you.

I'm gonna go ahead and end commentary here! To avoid spoilers, and so my review isn't like WAY too long... Let me finish reading and then I'll return!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review

Welp guys... I finished... and Holy shit.

FEELS METER
10 out of 10 easily. The different things Rainbow goes through even when she is just sitting there... its crazy. I had tears, I laughed, I felt terrible, I was begging for her to pull through... the whole package.

MOOD
As you saw it started off pretty happy, Its time to go on an adventure, I can't wait, yay! but then it gets crazy. Every second Counts. I love it. The entire time Rainbow makes herself feel better in whatever way she can... truly taking advantage of every possible second. I don't feel like anything was rushed because in a story like this... there isn't a lot of time for excruciating detail on everything!

The story's flow was so suspenseful. As I read my heart pounded as hard as Rainbow's did. But then it had its even sadder moments! Those moments when Rainbow would pull out a video camera she had in her bag and record herself... wow. just intense. The story did not stray from the grimness of the situation... and Rainbow did what she had to. I can't wait for the final chapter to this story!

GRAMMAR
The story was written quite well however there were quite a few grammar mistakes throughout. mostly a misspelled word like "her wind" instead of her "her wing" Things like this averaging maybe around one or two every couple paragraphs. I could point out a few but that'll take up more space in the review... so SpitFlame if you want me to go over some of those errors with you I surely can! Just send me a PM :twilightsmile: Aside from the occasional thing here or there the story was pretty clean. 4 out of 5

STYLE
Rainbow's characterization was pretty good! She kept her cool calm demeanor up for in the beginning. I have to praise her complete and utter calm. She understood the seriousness of the situation, but knew that freaking out would not solve anything. Then days started passing.

She slowly started to... well... give in. It was heartbreaking. As her survival resources diminished... so did her sanity. I was very amazing writing. I loved it. The only person she had for comfort was herself, and she took full advantage of this. (not in a sexual way... this isn't a clop lol.) I don't want to spoil any more of the story. So let me sum it up. Amazing drama, full of different emotions, and it shows Rainbow not as her cocky awesome self, but a victim of an unfortunate accident. One that she has to struggle through with only a few hundred milliliters of water, a dull knife, and a camera that captures every moment of her decent into sorrow. 9 out of 10 Earning a like. Fav and Follow from me! SpitFlame is a Halo guy too... super awesome! lol

This story is definitely A MUST READ and needs more views. Its so epic.
This story is recommended for anyone wanting to read a good sad drama! Written well, written sad. Well done.

This is Tidal. Swimming in the ocean of feels once more. Thanks for checking out my review, and check out 127 Pets! I'M OUT!

DERPY FIXED HER EYES! oh wait.. :derpytongue2: lol

Thanks for the review, man. I never knew I was good at making sad stories. Also, sorry for the few grammar errors. Most of the chapters were written at night time, when I was tired. I get more inspiration for dark fics in the... well... dark!

Overall, I had no idea you guys would like it. Thanks again; SpitFlame out.:moustache:

Tidal
Group Admin

2715329 It was well crafted, no problem! I understand the late at night thing... When I type my story late at night and re-read it in the morning its full of errors. Keep up the good work!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3