Quorum of Canon 17 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

I've decided to stop beating around the bushes and officially bring this proposal before the Quorum.

I motion for the creation of two new folders for fic with a different focus.

"My Little Pony: Tales of Canterlot" would star Octavia, Paperweight, Mounty Max, Fragrant Posey, Greengrass and possibly Night Vision (where we would only HINT at her being Luna rather than outright state) and other denizens of the capital as they navigate the politics and relationships of the big city! Stories there would be more cerebral, with only a few investigation into criminal activity to ramp up the action from time to time. Most of the time the events wouldn't directly affect the lives of the L6 nor would there be any world threatening danger. Not that the work done in the Night Court isn't important, but rather than it should never be the same kind of heroics as the L6 get up to. Much more West Wing. Stories that would fit in this folder include Climbing the Mountain and The Court Musician of Equestria, amongst others. Though I think story directly referring to events pertaining to the L6 should still be considered Webisodes regardless of where they occur.

"My Little Pony: Masterpiece theatre" would focus on Historic events of the distant past that shook and shaped the world, usually at least before Quartermoon was born at the more recent. This is where those who wish to writer darker stories would be free to let their creative wings spread. Events in the past could be barbaric, violent and harsh. The world isn't a dark place but it could have been. As a caveat though, I would like that any story in this folder be treated as historical fiction within the setting, so the results are historical, but it's possible the exact secquence of event aren't. Just a little open door to allow some leeway for canon authors who don't feel the need to burden themselves too much with side stories.

It is my sincere belief that we have, all of us together, create a rich enough setting for this to be possible. There is many stories in the setting, events we hinted at but never expended on, that could give us a new creative outlet and increase the flow of new story. We, as the Quorum, wouldn't need to be as strict with those two folders, as long as some general guidelines on impact and possibly rating are respected, since most of the time they wouldn't impact the canon stories.

What do you guys think? Think there's meat there?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I would absolutely love to make new folders...but I literally can't and haven't been able to for months now. Something about the new update to the site...the point is that no one has been able to create new folders for the group.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

4037175 Did you send a message to the site admins about that??

If not maybe we could rename some of the older writing challenge folder and just move the stories in them?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Did you send a message to the site admins about that??

Twice. Plus I think that Grass did it at least once.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

4037175 4037232
Actually we might finally have a work around. I still can't create anything as a sub-folder, but I think I've figured out how to re-designate a folder as a sub-folder after creating it -- having just now successfully moved the 2014 Nightmare Night folder into the writing events directory.

Going to play around a bit more make sure it's consistent, but we may be good to go again on anything we want to do.

Update(1): I was now also able to create a folder for the Endings & Beginnings event, and then move it into the writing events directory.

Update(2): Just created a set of 5 nested folders as a test her on the Quorum, and the process seems entirely consistent every time. First create the folder under the general directory, then go the manage folders section click on the desired folder and from its own subpage change the parent folder settings.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Finally! :twilightsmile:

On this note, then, I am all in-favor of making these spinoff folders.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

4037121 4038586
Hmm... so should the folder structure look something like Spinoffs as a parent directory, with Tales of Canterlot and Masterpiece Theater as sub-folders thereof? I suppose the Canterlot Spin-Offs could instead be divided and posted under the seasonal folders, but I sort of think that just double posting them in both the already existent Movie/Tie-ins in addition to non-season specific spinoffs folder could suffice for now, especially if the idea might be to just let them be sort of their own thing that doesn't have to tie directly into the main seasonal plot arcs.

Also, could we maybe consider a different name for the historical pieces, something a bit more indicative of what the section is for? As a Soulcalibur fan I sort of fancy Stage of History, which both makes it clear that the stories happen in past, while maintaining Fizzy's propossed pretense that the events might be more like in-setting accountings/reenactments and so not entirely accurate to what may or may not have really happened.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

4038558 Nice work Emeral!

4038586 Woot!

4038611 Maybe we could have Tales of Canterlot separated by season of the year, with Climbing the Mountain in the general Tales of Canterlot one? And maybe take them off the Movie & Tie-ins folder to keep things consistent with the new pattern?

As for the name I really like 'Stage of History'. I was using 'Masterpiece Theatre' as a standing in really. I'm open to any suggestions for name of the spin offs.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

Sounds like a plan. I'm in favor.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

4038611 unless IAH has any objections to it I could go ahead and introduce the idea to everyone!

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Go ahead. New thread rather than in the Brainstorming, I think.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

4043475 Off course... I'll be using the name 'Stages of History' for the Historic one, how is that?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13