Writers With Learning Disorders 223 members · 1,536 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

I've tried everything, and even though I said I'd be happier, its still hard. I manage, but, when I WANT to write (I've only been managing to get about one measly hundred words in when I CAN sit down and do it) something comes up that completely kills my mood. Like RIGHT now. I need to get something done. I WANT to. But I can't. I do NOT feel like it, and I haven't been feeling for such a long time.

So I ask you: Would you care if I stopped writing? I understand that it's THIS moment where I feel like I can't, and another time I WILL be able to. I still can't help but feel like I'm not doing enough. I want to do something that will let me share my creativity with the [world] fandom. It makes me feel SO bad, but I won't let it stick around. I promise.

Or, could someone maybe help me out with tips or something? Please?

4860016 we could be writing partners. We both open google docs and send each other links and then set a time where were going to write and call the other person out if they're not writing.

I've tried everything, and even though I said I'd be happier, its still hard. I manage, but, when I WANT to write (I've only been managing to get about one measly hundred words in when I CAN sit down and do it) something comes up that completely kills my mood. Like RIGHT now. I need to get something done. I WANT to. But I can't. I do NOT feel like it, and I haven't been feeling for such a long time.

Oh yeah, I recognize this.

This is where I was a couple of years ago.

So I ask you: Would you care if I stopped writing?

Not at all. It sounds like you're pushing yourself pretty hard, so you probably deserve a break. Like one of my countrymen once said: Sometimes you just have to break down and come back again.

You may be in what John Cleese calls the "locked mode." It's can happen when you begin to take this stuff too seriously, and have become too focused on what you are trying to do that it's choking you creativity. It's very possible that what you need most right now is some time to relax.

Or, could someone maybe help me out with tips or something? Please?

I know we've gone through this before, but all I can do is tell you what worked for me.

I went through two years of this exact thing, and in the end I only found one cure: Passion. Enthusiasm. Not just "wanting to write", because anyone can "want to write." I had to find a story that really set my spirit on fire. I had to realize that I am really goddamned good at this and I'm going to prove it.

Being a writer is sorta like being a mad scientist. You gotta have that maniacal edge, you know? That voice in your head that says: "I'll show them! I'll show them all!" Because that guy is always in the mood. That guy doesn't get writer's block. Doctor Frankenstein didn't build a monster out of stolen corpses and shove bolt of lighting into its brains because anyone expected him to. He did it because he could. He did it because he thought it would be amazing.

There is proven link between writer's block and depression, just as there is a link between hypergraphia and mania. As such, the worst thing you can do is feel sorry for yourself, or doubt in your ability.

4860185 If google docs was easier to use and not always bugging out for me, then I'd consider it. Thanks~

4860433 I hate taking breaks. It makes me feel like a failure. But I suppose I can try...again. For like, the eighth time?

I hate taking breaks. It makes me feel like a failure.

See, that's exactly the kind of attitude that seriously screws up your ability to be creative.

Art isn't about being a good little working ant who always gets the job done. Unless it actually puts food on your table, you are under no obligation to churn out uninspired writing like some kind of soulless machine, and that performance anxiety of yours isn't helping anyway. Art is about vision, and vision requires taking a step back and getting a good perspective on things. Relax. Stop torturing yourself for no reason.

But I suppose I can try...again. For like, the eighth time?

I don't think you get it. It's not about rest. You're not tired of writing. You can take as many breaks as you want, but it's not going to just fix itself on it's own. It's your mindset that needs to change. You need to stop worrying about how much you write, or how hard it is to write, or how to get into the mood to write. Those things are not relevant right now.

Instead you have to figure out what writing means to you, why you write in the first place, and what about it makes you happy. And not just putting those answers into words, you have to feel them.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6