The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 487 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 487
RogerDodger
Group Admin

Event overview | Review spreadsheet

Please refrain from saying anything that might compromise your anonymity. Doing so is grounds for disqualification. It's recommended you do dummy reviews of your own stories should it otherwise be easy to deduce which you wrote.

FDA_Approved
Group Contributor

First!

But the prompt submissions are telling me to please come back later.

Well, okay...

Calipony
Group Contributor

Yeah, message #1!
At least I will have something to remember this time :B

ARGH! FDA I hate you! :BBB

destinedjagold
Group Contributor

It's really cool that we get a notification email about new events from the writeoff website. :pinkiesmile:

edit...
Huh... How are we going to be able to publish it here on FIMFiction after the event's over? :/

The Letter J
Group Contributor

I am seeing that as well.

And 4876144 , I did get the email this time (:yay:), but I noticed that it doesn't say what genre this contest is. I knew that this was a general round because I've been paying attention, but it's something you'll probably want to add in there for those who haven't.

destinedjagold
Group Contributor

general round

What's that?

4876144 This is my first time round the Writeoff track...Let's do this! I just hope I can keep with the veritable flood of comments...

And of course, I'm guessing General Minific means just anything. Coolbeans. Good luck all!

The Letter J
Group Contributor

It means that you can write pretty much whatever you want, not just pony fanfiction.

Last time we did this, there was some confusion over whether these rounds are just for original fiction, or if fanfiction is still okay, but it looks to me like we're going with the latter (though original fiction stories will probably still score better).

DATA_EXPUNGED
Group Contributor

Original fiction, instead of MLP fanfic.

destinedjagold
Group Contributor

4876173 4876174 ...huh... Interesting... Thanks for the explanations~

Calipony
Group Contributor

For example, you can write about a human starting to write about Lyra writing about a human writing about BonBon

Isn't that smashing? :B now you can be as meta as you wish! Wow.

RogerDodger
Group Admin

Woops, fixed.

The Letter J
Group Contributor

Sure, if you can fit all of that into 750 words without it becoming an incomprehensible mess.

4876180 Wait, so I'm new to this all. I'm probably being *that guy*, but we can start writing now, correct? We just can't submit it until the day?

Calipony
Group Contributor

Hmmm… Clarity is not enforced by The WriteOff rules, or is it?

The Letter J
Group Contributor

No, but if you want people to like your story, it's generally a good idea.

destinedjagold
Group Contributor

4876182 Horay! I've submitted my prompt suggestion thingie! x3

Comment posted by Calipony deleted Nov 25th, 2015

Damn, I'm an idiot. I just figured out how this works. 4876190, ignore my last comment.

Calipony
Group Contributor

Okay. I'm going to delete my last comment!

4876204 Thanks for bearing with me...

Calipony
Group Contributor

Sorry to harp on, but Luna’s ache wasn't that clear, though many people loved it.

KwirkyJ
Group Contributor

4876144 4876160
Joining voices with others, it remains unclear what exactly 'general fiction' means… wide-open to anything, or original fiction-only. Can we have some official disambiguation on that 'general' part?

RogerDodger
Group Admin

There is no restriction on what you can write with respect to genre.

It's inadvisable to write something reliant on a reader's familiarity with a specific fictional world, e.g., FiM. It's not really the point of the contest, and people who are unfamiliar with your chosen dependency will be confused.

Not_A_Hat
Group Contributor

I'll be lucky to even get in this round, with a fifty-plus hour work week and any Thanksgiving stuff.

Well, I'll give it a shot. But that's all I can do for sure.

Group Contributor

You have to wait until a prompt is given. Then you write something based on the prompt.

Merc the Jerk
Group Contributor

I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football at this point, but this time I'm sure I can get the prompt done. As long as Lucy doesn't play me like a damn fiddle again.

Winston
Group Contributor

How are we going to be able to publish it here on FIMFiction after the event's over?

You won't. You'll have to decide whether it's worth the time investment to do the writeoff knowing you won't have FimFic as a publication venue for any resulting products.

Calipony
Group Contributor

You're more than most welcome.
I love moggies anyway.

JonOfEquestria
Group Contributor

Hi,

Is prompt submission also intended to be anonymous?

Joe

The Letter J
Group Contributor

That story predates my time in the writeoffs, so I'm not familiar with it. I have seen several really good unclear stories in my time here (like "Recycled" last round), but all of them have had people criticizing them for not being clear enough.
A certain air of mystery and lack of clarity can be beneficial to some stories, but you don't want to overdo it. People are generally okay with having to work to understand a story, but only to a certain point. If they don't get any payoff by that point, they aren't going to be happy.

billymorph
Group Contributor

4876423 I think you can say after prompt voting is complete, though the site doesn't reveal them to my knowledge.

CoffeeMinion
Group Admin

4876318 I got two words for ya: Equestria Girls. :pinkiecrazy:

No, seriously, should be possible to write a piece with "normal" names and then pony it up after the fact...

RogerDodger
Group Admin

It doesn't really matter.

I'm confused. I'm new and don't know what's going on...is there a prompt or do we suggest one and where do we suggest a prompt if we do?
-ThePortalPonies

Calipony
Group Contributor

People are so lazy those days. :derpytongue2:

But I guess you're right. It's like dark stories. Readers expect to chortle at the end of a story.

For the time being, you can suggest a prompt. Voting for the best prompt starts Friday I think.

4876605 Oh, okay! Thanks!
-ThePortalPonies

Calipony
Group Contributor

You're most welcome

Frogmyre
Group Contributor

To the person who submitted "I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym", I applaud you, and your reference of XKCD.

(Link provided to those unaware of the reference!)

Also, best of luck to everyone! I have no idea if I'll muster up anything worth submitting, but I might end up stalking this.

Calipony
Group Contributor

Oh and I forgot: welcome to the WriteOffs!

4876896 Thanks again!
-ThePortalPonies

Gonna have to make every word count if you're working with an unfamiliar universe.

Calipony
Group Contributor

What? Nobody entered "Ot" (yet) this time?

I thought the WriteOff was corralling the best otters.

Everything's going to the dogs, even the most established traditions.

The Letter J
Group Contributor

It's not really that established. I've been around longer than Ot has. I believe it first showed up in the Distant Shores writeoff, which was only four writeoffs ago.

We need a "Thing Explainer" prompt to try to get people to write stories using onlu the 1000 most common words list.

While I don't plan on entering this Writeoff, I have recently submitted a prompt for it. I don't expect it to win, but I'll be impressed if anyone picks up on what I'm referencing—when I reveal my prompt submission, that is. :twilightsheepish:

Anyway, best of luck to all of the entrants. :twilightsmile:

I am entering this writeoff to chew bubblegum and kick flank...

And I'm all out of flank. :pinkiecrazy:

Calipony
Group Contributor

Four WriteOffs is forever in this ever-changing world of unbridled creation!

The Letter J
Group Contributor

Not when you consider that there have been 42 writeoffs before this one.

Also, it looks like someone has submitted Ot.

Calipony
Group Contributor

Better late than never, uh? :derpytongue2:
(No, it's not me. Ask Roger if you doubt it. I plumped for a musical prompt this time.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 487