The Royal Equestrian NAVY! 88 members · 20 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21
Storm Seas
Group Admin

So for the past few weeks I've been bouncing around the thought that the ships of the pony universe would have some sort of modernization that happens, similar to the Iowas in the eighties. The only thing is, I don't want them to have anything that looks or sounds human, but serves the same purpose. Hence the name Electro-Magical equipment. got any ideas guys?

Storm Seas
Group Admin

Electro-Magical.
Like I have already the MagDec which is the radar pony equivalent. I sends out a magical pulse that scans and returns to give a 3-D image of the surrounding area on the main map plot instead of just a green line going around telling you where stuff is.

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

Technomancy?

I think it all depends on how you have made your magical system, so how magic works in your world. I can't think too much on how it works in other realms of fiction since most show that magic and electricity (or in the case of the Dresden Files anything made after 1940) don't work well together

Perhaps ww1 style tech enhanced up to 1945-9 with magic.

Storm Seas
Group Admin

Well I was going off of how Flim and Flam used magic to power the SSCS 6000 and well that was what got me started. There is electricity but you can enhance it with magic.

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

I don't know.... I think their thingamajig was powered by an ICE, yes magic had to used but by and large it was gasoline that was the source of power

Storm Seas
Group Admin

Exactly! that's the thing! I need more ideas for incorporating magic into devices so they act the same but not really

Using magic to enhance parts of the ship?

CptBrony
Group Contributor

Something that tells the where to aim their guns, then some unicorns use their magic to actually aim them? That could be a start.

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

Still got the problem of range, she will be shooting over the horizon

CptBrony
Group Contributor

That could just be up to the skill of the shooters, if one wanted to avoid too much technology use. Other than that, though, I got nothing.

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

You shooting over 20 miles, skill had nothing to do with it. Whole reason we started to develop computers was to help with firing them.

CptBrony
Group Contributor

Me shooting over 20 miles? (?_?) I guess that's a typo. :)
But I have no idea, I'm just chucking ideas out there. I don't know much about the guns back before the age of computers.

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

Yeah I mean They.

The US has been using computers for helping with fire-control since 1916 when they put the Rangekeeper, electro-mechinacal analog computer on the USS Texas, she had guns with a range up to 20 miles. You can't hit what you can't see, best you can do is use Physics to make it work

CptBrony
Group Contributor

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wouldn't have guessed that that long ago computers of any kind were used.

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

The most basic of what we would recognize as computers have been around for probably over 400 years though it wasn't until the early to mid 1800s did we get what we would consider commercially successful.

CptBrony
Group Contributor

You just taught me more than my World History class taught me last year.

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

Most people forget that computers have been around for so long

Storm Seas
Group Admin

but they were analogs not digital which is what most people think of computers. The computers then were if this then that kind of logic instead of a myriad of factors like today's are. you punch in the numbers using switches an nobs to tell the computer what it needs and then you would relay that answer to the guns.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21