The Intellectuals 224 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Hello time for the first of my weekly discussions!
Today, we discuss the prospect of humans and equines living together.
Here are the three concerns:
Appearance: (Physically and our demeanor)
Culture: Friendship Sun God versus SCIENCE!
And other things I might have missed.
Enjoy! Can Humans truly co-exist with Equines?

Well, on the science vs magic front we have the human idea that sloth is lazy, or Laissez Faire. Naturally, humans are going to take advantage of the act of letting things take their own course, or allowing fate to intervene on their behalf, with a little help from cause and effect.

As for appearance, bug eyed technicolor ponies with 'nearly' human intelligence that can break the known rules of physics vs a miniature chinese crested cyclops with two eyes and a beak for a nose... we'd probably have a better chance forming an alliance with the griffins since we clearly have that whole apex predator/scavenger look and similar dietary needs.

"Miniature Chinese crested cyclops"?:rainbowhuh:
I understand that the Griffons having similar diet/predator scavenger culture, but for the sake of argument: Science Versus Magic/Religions who condemn magic. What's your take?

Humans are extremely diverse analytically and morally (everything from uncontacted hunter-gatherers to astronauts, and warlords to saints), so there'd likely be any reaction you can name, and even wide variation within human social groups as they applied their basic assumptions differently. So really, it's all up for grabs.

The one constant would probably be that since we have no history with Equestria a lot of prejudices and recieved animosities would be replaced with a clean slate. I doubt there'd be much in the way of outright hostility simply because, unlike a lot of human tribes, ponies and humans would have no precedent for accusations of how one side once attacked the other side hundreds of years ago or stole their land or oppressed their ancestors or conspiratorially ran the banks or was allied with a hated enemy or what have you. Superstitious or irrational individuals might project images from their own culture onto the other side ("Celestia is the foretold anti-christ!" or "the ponies are the returning spirits of our ancestors!" or whatever the pony equivalent is), but that's not nearly as big a force in global society as it was when the precedents for that kind of behavior were formed.
So I think it would go more-or-less OK, despite the occasional unscrupulous individual taking advantage of the other side's ignorance of their world for personal gain ("these old discarded computers may look like garbage, but actually contain powerful human magicks!" "OK, I'll trade you for these seemingly worthless ragged old scales sloughed off a powerful dragon!").

<--Cyclops (Arimaspi)

<---Chinese Crested

I know our historical knowledge of unicorns includes them as both extraterrestrial steeds and parts of them as a cure all for poison. And, pegasus are the offspring of gorgon blood and symbol of poetry.

Can Humans truly co-exist with Equines?

I don't see why not. I think any well written Human in Equestria with a sci-fi backstory would have the human characters (presuming they had already had contact with other alien cultures) being weirded out by how "human" the ponies act and think.

Similarities are great and deep, differences are small and superficial. Co-existence would be more than possible, it would come naturally.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6